1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID Lighting Poll...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jrdbrn, Nov 29, 2010.

?

HID

Poll closed Dec 29, 2010.
  1. IDGAF

21 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. They blind me

24 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. They don't bother me

53 vote(s)
    44.9%
  4. Tacoes

20 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. Nov 30, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    PGFF

PGFF Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Only an inchworm rear locker motor guard for now.
    HID lights themselves aren't the problem. The problem is people putting HID bulbs in housings and reflectors designed for normal halogen bulbs. Doing that causes them to throw light all over the place blinding other drivers. It's not really as simple as looking away (which may make you take your eyes off the road).

2. Nov 30, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    I want them sooo bad. My stock lights are not bright at all, and I wanna see when Im driving at night. If you properly align them they shouldn't be a problem. Like last night when I hit a bump and watched a car in my rear mirror it blinded me when the car aimed upwords but wasnt bad when it went back to normal.

3. Nov 30, 2010 at 10:28 AM
    Grande

Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thomas, The little truck that could
    Painted badges. Bedlined grille, wheels and lower valence. Billies 5100 @.85 up front. Dodger Jack Ball Mod. Custom trail damaged rear bumper (for the time being). Lil LED light bar on grill. Hard-wired Radar Det. Custom Projector fog lights, Anytime Fog Mod, HIDS, White LED accent lighting on a Single post double toggle swicht, so they light up wit my door/dome light, or always on, or never on. LED map and dome lights.
    yea they dont bother me as well, i just always tend to look away, i dunno its instinct, and i really dont keep my eyes off the road, but then again, i drive with out knowing, i know it sounds like im a bad driver, but its just natural sometimes i go thorough lights, and i wonder to my self, was that light red??

4. Nov 30, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    BeardedWeirdo

BeardedWeirdo Junior Mint

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
    The original manufacturers that started installing HID lights from the factory used reflector housings. So...that little "fact" that everyone likes to throw around anytime HID discussions come up is kind of bullshit.

The correct statement is reflector housings are not the best headlight assemblies for HID lights. However, if you make the proper adjustments to your reflector housings, you will not have bad glare like you see on a lot of vehicles running HID in reflector housings. But yes, projector lenses are more ideal for using HIDs.

Most of the really bad glare HID lights you run across are people who went with 55w, 75w or even 100w HID kits which are insanely bright and way too bright for normal night driving. A 35w kit will work perfect for your regular driving. If you need super bright lights for off-roading, then by all means, get your 100w HIDs, but keep them in dedicated off-road lights instead of your headlights.

5. Nov 30, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    skunk

skunk what did I miss?

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudi
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 (STOLEN)
    YOU WILL BE MISSED Satoshi Grill, FX-R retros, husky liners, bed bolt d-rings, TRD short throw shifter, 2.5 Fox Coil overs, AP UCA's, AP Expo rear leaf with Fox 2.0 shocks, Extended SS brake lines, AP kick-out sliders, 265/75/16 on Konig Countersteers, AllPro Apex front bumper and Zip Ties.
    I don't mind the HID in the fogs. I used to be ignorant to the need for projectors in order to reduce the galre but now that I have done the Retro install it is clear that any Halogen reflector style light upgraded with HID is obnoxious to other drivers on the road.

6. Nov 30, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Oh yeah, my HIDs are in the fogs and pointed down a bit. Never get flashed. Why would it be so bad to put HIDs in halogen projectors being that the projectors have a cutoff?.....after pointing them correctly of course. The bright halogens with HID fogs are kickass, when no one else is coming. The low beam H7s in the projectors in my headlights do suck...as has been discussed. Gen 2 ccfls.

7. Nov 30, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    PGFF

PGFF Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Only an inchworm rear locker motor guard for now.

You are right, they did use mostly reflector housings but those housings were designed specifically for HID bulbs, which have a different output pattern and bulb dimensions than a standard halogen bulb. Reflectors in all headlights are bulb specific. The best analogy I can come up with is a Mag light. When you twist the front of the light it changes the poisition of the bulb relative to the reflector causing the beam pattern to change. Essentially the same thing happens when you put a HID bulb in a halogen reflector.

There are cars today that still have factory HIDs with factory reflector type housings; the Cadillac Escalade comes to mind. But those reflectors are designed to accommodate the HID bulb's characteristics. People using higher than necessary wattage just exacerbate the problem.

SOME drop in retrofit kits try to overcome the difference in bulb position and size and do a good job of doing so. Most do a terrible job or don't try at all which is why you have ricers running around blinding everyone. The only right way to do HIDs is to have a reflector (or a projector) designed specifically to work with a HID bulb.

8. Nov 30, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    LOL! He said vagina.:rofl:

9. Nov 30, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    Also, not all projectors have HIDs. Vehicles like the Honda Pilot, Hyndai Tiburon and a few others use halogen bulbs in their projectors.

10. Nov 30, 2010 at 9:04 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    +10000000000000000000000000000 this is what it should look like. high beams in the first pic low beams in the second pic.

148323_177479632278540_100000495141273_575322_5992903_n.jpg
    156050_177480278945142_100000495141273_575324_494405_n.jpg

11. Nov 30, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    the cars like the lincholn mk what ever the hell in the mid to late 90'shad hid lighting in a reflector style housing but it was engineered to handle and lay down that type of light more effectively. also that was a long long time ago when they first began adapting xenon lighting for auto's. we now know how to retrofit and auto manufactures are doing a way better job of eliminating glare. a xenon bulb in a reflector housing looks horrid and while it may provide moe light for the person driving the vehicle it still is the ass backwards way of doing something now i feel different about the fogs and off road style lights but for headlights you must and should do it correctly.

12. Nov 30, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    503TRD

503TRD Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Tualatin, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    Front Bilstein 5100's Set @ 2.5", Rear Bilstein 5100's, Rear TSB, Rear 1.5" ToyTec AAL, 1" CB Drop Kit, N-Fab Nerf Steps, WeatherTech All Weather Rubber Floor Mats, Grillcraft Grill(Upper/Lower), Blacked Out AC Condenser/Radiator, Tinted Front Windows, Vision X H4 SuperWhite Headlights, Halo H10 Solaris Yellow 45w 3000k Fog Lights, K&N Air Filter, Removed Front Mud Flaps, 18" MagnaFlow Muffler, Chrome Exhaust Tip, TRD Logo Leather Shift Knob, LED License Plate Lights, LED Interior Lights, LED Reverse Lights, LED Auxiliary Reverse Lights, Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Redline Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, Foglights Anytime, ScanGauge II, 13" Stubby Antenna, Flyzeye Design LED Light, Cobra 19 CB Radio/Firestik II Antenna, 18x9 Raceline Raptors, LT275/70/18 Hankook Dynapro ATm, 1.25" Sidertrax Wheel Spacers, Heated Front Seats, LED Tailgate Bar, 11" Double Row LED Bar Behind Grill
    Lol, I know exactly what you mean! This has happened to me a few times!

Anyways, idk if it's just me and the way I'm reading these but I feel like people are being assholes to the OP?

13. Dec 1, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    I've determined that the people being the assholes with the smartass comments are the ones with the HIDs and they're trying to defend them.

14. Dec 1, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    503TRD

503TRD Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Tualatin, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    Front Bilstein 5100's Set @ 2.5", Rear Bilstein 5100's, Rear TSB, Rear 1.5" ToyTec AAL, 1" CB Drop Kit, N-Fab Nerf Steps, WeatherTech All Weather Rubber Floor Mats, Grillcraft Grill(Upper/Lower), Blacked Out AC Condenser/Radiator, Tinted Front Windows, Vision X H4 SuperWhite Headlights, Halo H10 Solaris Yellow 45w 3000k Fog Lights, K&N Air Filter, Removed Front Mud Flaps, 18" MagnaFlow Muffler, Chrome Exhaust Tip, TRD Logo Leather Shift Knob, LED License Plate Lights, LED Interior Lights, LED Reverse Lights, LED Auxiliary Reverse Lights, Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Redline Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, Foglights Anytime, ScanGauge II, 13" Stubby Antenna, Flyzeye Design LED Light, Cobra 19 CB Radio/Firestik II Antenna, 18x9 Raceline Raptors, LT275/70/18 Hankook Dynapro ATm, 1.25" Sidertrax Wheel Spacers, Heated Front Seats, LED Tailgate Bar, 11" Double Row LED Bar Behind Grill
    Lol :rolleyes:

15. Dec 1, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    TacoRun

TacoRun Subd for later..

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Edinburg,Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road, Magnetic Gray
    Pop Lock, Ranch Hand brush guard
    I have my stock head lights and can see just fine at night. Don't really see the point in getting extra bright lights.

16. Dec 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I use 35w 8000ks in a reflector housing... But I have them aimed real low, and use glare shields- never been high-beamed, and cops have never had a problem with them. I've seen properly adjusted 55ws that are fine as well; it's all the people that purposely or mistakenly mis-align their HID's that piss everyone off. For some reason, they find satisfaction in blinding oncoming drivers and just want to "show off" how cool their lights are. (Mommy and Daddy just didnt give little timmy enough attention growing up?)

I high-beam HID's with my HID's. Is that bad? :rolleyes:

17. Dec 3, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    If i get blinded I just turn my HIDs High Beams on, and we are even.

18. Dec 4, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Indigo Ink DCSB 4WD
    Magnuson S/C, Relentless armor, Icon/Dakar suspension, Konig CountersteerX 17", KO2's, Hellwig rear swaybar, BudBuilt Trac Bar, Level 10 VBU, Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders
    I curse people who put HID bulbs in halogen reflectors or projectors when I see them in front of or behind me on any road, two lane roads especially. The glare can be horrible, and it prevents me from seeing where I'm going on the road most of the time, which is a hazard because I need to watch for deer/antelope as much as the next guy on the road.

Don't put other people in danger for your pretty blue lights.

I do agree with Konaborne above, though. If you take measures to lessen the effect on other drivers, then one can at least be complimented for trying.

19. Dec 11, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Hid's don't bother me... IF, 1) they are aimed correctly, 2) they aren't fucking purple, pink, blue, or any other god-aweful color. Personally my halogen projectors are more than enough for me and my mountain back road driving, no wheeling yet (teach me, master!)

20. Dec 12, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    100% correct.

reflectors are computer designed to reflect light eminating from a certain point. the reflector "expects" the filament or capsule to be at a certain point, depending on the bulb type and if it is halogen or HID. if you move the filament and on top of that, make it exponentially brighter...you have scatter and glare. of course as the driver, it looks like it is better but there are other people on the road. i could put 4 hella rallye 1000s on my bumper, aimed straight ahead and i'd see everything...but that's crazy right? well, most of these PNP HID kits are no different in terms of creating distractions for the other drivers.

OP, many people are not responsible when it comes to modifying vehicles and they are selfish and/or will sacrifice function on behalf of form. the internet makes it easier for people to be that way. it is unfortunate, but true.

Products Discussed in

To Top