1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID what exactly to order.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 06redtacoma, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Jun 28, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    Yea i am a complete idiot but after 2 hours of searching and getting no real clear answer im going to post.
    -http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit
    -slim vs. fat ballasts any difference?
    -Will 55w hut my truck/ blind everyone? is 35w the way to go?
    -i found the bulb type for the headlights is h4 what for the fogs?
    -bulb color i think the consensus is 5000k or 6000k what are you running?
    -Do i need to buy an HID harness? or is that a complete waste of money?

Thanks i really couldn't find these answers in a search.

2. Jun 28, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    difference between the slim and normal ballast ius that obviously the slim is smaller, but the ignighter is not built in, menaing that you have a small second box located right next to the ballast. with the fat ballasts, the ignightor is built in. IIRC, the apexcone kits have a lifetime warranty whereas the DDM slim ballast kits only have a year or so warranty. I have also heard about more problems with the slim kits. with all of my off road lights and factory lights converted to HID, i have 5 kits total, all apexcone "fat" ballasts. all work flawlessly.

for the heads and fogs, under normal driving conditions, 35W will work great. they are brighter than stock, so 55w would be way overkill.

h4 is correct for the headlights, make sure to sellect the hi/low feature. for the fogs, h10 is the bulb you need.

as for color, i have 6000k in ny headlights (35w) and there is a slight blue tint. if you want pure white, go 5000k.

you can get the 4500k for the fogs if you want them to be more yellow (cut through fog better).

and no you don't need an HID harness, the kits come with everything you need.

3. Jun 28, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    that was a great post. thank you maybe this information should be added to the hid sticky.

4. Jun 28, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    Smaug523

Smaug523 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    h4 bulbs for the highs and lows? I have projector lens's and am not running a sinlge hi/lo bulb. What does the h4 hi/lo option give you?
    TIA

5. Jun 28, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    if you have projectors, it's a totally different story. for the factory headlights with the factory bulb, your low beams are 35w and when you turn on the highs, it's increased to 55w. since the wattage in an HID is determined by the ballast, you can't really jsut increase the wattage, so instead, when you turn on the high beams in the h4 HIDs, it charges an electromagnet, and actually pulls the whole bulb assembly back, to essentially refocus the beam further out. so the light doesn't actually get brighter, it changes the focal point, which actually does a really good job if your headlights are aimed correctly.

I am not very familiar with projectors, but to my knowlege, in most cases, you will have the HID projector, and then the high beams will be a seperate 55w halogen light.

someone jump in if this is incorrect...

To Top