1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hideaway strobes

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by broken taco, Oct 5, 2011.

?

should i get hideaway strobes for my taco

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    57.3%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    42.7%
  1. Oct 6, 2011 at 10:32 PM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    Every state has different regulations for strobe lights including the definition of a strobe light. Some states think strobes are only flash tubes. Some consider strobing LEDs as strobes; while others keep them separate. Now, fire trucks can have blue strobes. (which would be called flashing blue wig-wag lights if they weren't LEDs.)

It's really confusing. Where I come from, off duty fire fighters can have them on their personal vehicles when responding to fires.

I personally believe their needs to be some standardization. Especially with the new LED technology and all of the color confusion. Green is battalion in addition to the normal fire colors, blue and red is police AND fire. Yellow is on the back of ambulances with white and red (flashing or strobe leds)

I think people can have strobes on their cars here as long as they are not red or blue. Yellow can be on just about any car or truck as long as you don't misuse them (emergencies off the side of the road and construction are okay).

The whole thing gives me a headache.

2. Oct 6, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    Oh yeah- and we have hundreds of completely undercover cars around here of various makes/models that have police strobes. Acuras, Mustangs, Passats etc with civilian licence plates. Kinda scary when the driver in front of you reveals their identity when you think they are just a normal driver. haha

3. Oct 6, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    yeah we got a shit load of undercover, unmarked cars here in Memphis too!

and i got a question for everyone who is talkin shit to this guy for no reason . . . .

Why tha fuck do you care what he does to his own truck!!!!???

4. Oct 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM
    livel0veryde

livel0veryde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    missouri
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma based buggy
    ^^^^well put

5. Oct 11, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    I was a firefighter prior to joining the navy. Knew lots if guys that had them, including myself, but we had legit reasoning.

6. Mar 28, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    HighTQCummins

HighTQCummins Instagram: stormtrooptaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SW DCSB Sport
    5% all around, derp'd wheels, FMS40, 30" E-Series, 55w 6k bi's, 35w 5k fogs
    Ignore my buddy in the beginning, I do landscaping on the side and find myself parked on the side of the road alot, and people in my town tend to not care about anything involving driving, so this will at least alert them to the fact my truck is parked there

60w tube heads in headlight buckets and reverse lights. 3LED's in lower grill and licence plate mount, and then a halogen rotator i threw up there for the hell of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvyseLYq0mY&list=UU5H6nG2td8NF_sDT9xfrJfQ&index=1&feature=plcp

7. Mar 28, 2012 at 4:32 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Wonder if he found gold while picking his nose...

8. Mar 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    saundern

saundern Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
    hell i'd get them but im 21 and anything that flashes gets my attention!

9. Mar 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    HighTQCummins

HighTQCummins Instagram: stormtrooptaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SW DCSB Sport
    5% all around, derp'd wheels, FMS40, 30" E-Series, 55w 6k bi's, 35w 5k fogs
    if it wasn't too obvious he did that on purpose, kid always dicks around when i try an take a picture of anything hahahaha

10. Mar 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C

Giving people seizures? Haha

But why draw attention OP?

11. Mar 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I just installed some Hide-a-way strobes on my truck last weekend.

I installed them to use as dust lights because I have a camper shell and I cannot mount a conventional dust light. I have been just turning on my 4 way flashers when being followed in dust. So, I found a used kit on ebay for around $50 which included 2 amber strobes which I mounted in the stock turn signal lights at the rear of the bed.

But here is a video of a Tacoma with hide-a-way strobes (not mine).

If you are interested in the kit I purchased, search ebay for "Able2 Sho-me" or "Whelen strobe".

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Mar 29, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    Cajun1

Cajun1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brooks
    Abbeville, LA
    Brush Gaurd 265 Destinations 5100's @ 1.75 LED Lighting Center console Home made Saatchi DDM 5K HID
    All these jackasses seem to hate your idea...throwing you under the bus and shit... i tell you one thing tho...that power stroke sounds Bad ass!!!

13. Apr 29, 2012 at 2:38 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    I could really care less if you put strobes on your truck or not however, I will explain some legal issues you may encounter (not saying they are ileagal). At a stand still, not in traffic, you should be fine (car shows, working on the side of the road, hanging out at a bud's house, whatever..) The minute you get on the road with youir stobes blaring and people start pulling over for you or yielding to your vehicle you would probably be considered in violation of the law. It's like the stores that sell "tobacco" bongs. The bong itself is not in violation however, when you smoke cannabis from it the bong now becomes paraphernalia. Sorry for the poor spelling, grammer etc..tired and on my 10th hour.

14. Apr 29, 2012 at 4:38 AM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    This is exactly why I have never added lights other than fogs or driving lights to my exterior. That shit can wind you up with a PILE of tickets really fast.
    When I was 16, my parents had a Crown Vic, and if you flashed between high and low beams, you looked just like a cop. I pulled that shit ONCE and got called in by the slow, old guy that I passed. Cop found me, and luckily just gave me a warning since he didn't actually see how it all went down. And that was STOCK, but just being a douche. Something about "impersonating an official vehicle"

These days I will stay on the safe side of questionably legal mods.

Over the years I have heard of people getting pulled over for strobes, those valve stem lights, underbody neon, non stock colored markers, even factory installed rear fogs on VW, Audi, Porsche since they make it look like you have a taillight out.

15. Apr 30, 2012 at 6:14 AM
    speedracercjr

speedracercjr Active Member

Member:
    Do you do any road work, time spent parked on road where safety is an issue? Are you a firefighter/ems/safety person? If not, then NO!

16. Apr 30, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    I want to get some because I do some work on the road as an inspecting engineer. I've also considered it for helping others on the side of the road. Either way, I would not get the white ones which are technically legal here, and I would not use them while cruising.

17. May 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I have them because I am a volunteer firefighter, and where I live, the weather is horrible. And 90% of our calls are accidents. And our district is smack dab in the middle of where two state highways intersect, and the are nothing but curves. We get a lot of accidents, and when idiots come flying around the corner, I want them to see me.

18. May 7, 2012 at 11:15 PM
    badphish14

badphish14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD OFF ROAD
    I know in new york volunteer firefighters can only run blue lights strobes. We actually get a little card to keep in your wallet saying your a firefighter incase a police officer stops and questions you. I'm pretty sure down south the volunteers use red strobe lights. I would check to make sure you don't draw any unwanted attention to yourself, but if you don't care, do it up!!

19. May 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Where I live green is designated for volunteers. That is just for my county though. I can run amber strobes as well, for accidents.

20. May 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    badphish14

badphish14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD OFF ROAD
    Green are for ambulance only volunteers in my county. I asked my neighbor who is a cop and legally in my county I'm only allowed one blue strobe. After that I can get a ticket but they very rarely give them out unless you deserve it.

Products Discussed in

To Top