1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hiding spare key and remote start on 3rd gen

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Patch Barracks, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Jun 17, 2017 at 4:35 AM
    Rackness

Rackness Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    17' Tacoma
    Working on it.
    Good idea! I am thinking about doing the Lexus credit card key mod that way it is easier to take the key with me.

2. Jun 17, 2017 at 4:47 AM
    Riding Dirty

Riding Dirty Sinner; saved by grace

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Before: '16 TRD OR 4x4 AC QS//After: 17 T4R Pro 040
    PlastiDip
    Just press any button, such as unlock doors, once or twice, it wakes back up. OP, I would just disable the fob, lock it in your dash with the little laser cut key and take the laser cut key with you. The laser cut key will physically unlock the door to let you back into the truck, then unlock the dash retrieve your fob, reactivate it and drive away.

haynkanaka likes this.
  3. Jun 17, 2017 at 4:51 AM
    jwcox72

jwcox72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Manual
    Take the key out of the fob and vacuum pack both of them. Tape it up somewhere under the truck and you should be good to go.

4. Jun 22, 2020 at 10:07 AM
    ehammer73

ehammer73 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    I’m trying to figure out a way to do this for going on float trips. We usually pay an outfitter to shuttle our vehicle from the point where we put in our watercraft and then the truck is sitting there waiting for us at the takeout at the end of our float. With our 2015 4Runner this Was never an issue. They would just lock the key fob in the truck under the mat and we keep the extra key with us on the float. I can’t figure out a way that is simple to do this with my 2020 Tacoma. The idea of giving an outfitter some elaborate “how to lock a key in my truck” just probably isn’t going to work. Sure wish they just had a way to disable the auto key detect for the doors only.

Products Discussed in

To Top