1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HIDs causing radio interference? What gives?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by james, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Aug 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    james

james [OP] In over my head...

Member:
    Friday Harbor, WA: Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma V6
    Yep. Recently installed Xenon HIDs are causing pretty severe buzzing when I turn them on with the radio running. That's a problem where I live (Interior Alaska), 'cause it's dark here A LOT and there's only ONE RADIO STATION. I kind of need both to work.

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong – and more importantly, if there's an easy (read:cheap) fix? Otherwise, I'll be looking to replace the whole headlight assembly and sell the HIDs on craigslist.

Thx.

PS: Where would you go (online) for the best deals on aftermarket headlight replacements?

2. Aug 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I have had the same issue for a while however mine is minor buzzing not to mention it only affects some stations. I have a thread about it somewhere that has 0 comments. Best of luck

3. Aug 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I'm no expert in HID's, but it sounds like a bad ballast or a bad ground somewhere. Could just be that your ballasts emit too much RF which is causing interference in your audio. I'd disconnect them one at a time and see if one of them is doing it or both.

Edit: Here's a thread on a Titan (dare I mention a Nissan) forum that has some things to try to eliminate the noise

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-visual-audio-discussion/60038-hid-radio-static.html

4. Aug 23, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    james

james [OP] In over my head...

Member:
    Friday Harbor, WA: Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma V6
    Thank you afd for the link. I think that I'll probably just switch 'em out and call it good. Electrical issues are always a bit of a head-scratcher.

I followed and read the link: the problem is with the HID kits. There's got to be something that factories are doing to shield their systems. What it is, I'll never know. The gist of everyone's advice is to wrap the nearest-balast-to-the-antenna with a metallic shield of some kind, like aluminum or copper foil, then move it as far away from the antenna as is possible, then perhaps anchor/hold it to something non-metallic. I inspected mine: no-go. The ballast wires aren't long enough to move them any further away. So I'm stuck. Craigslist, here I come.

5. Aug 23, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    These cheap ballasts can do that. It's a somewhat common problem from what I've heard over the years. I never had a problem with the HID kit I had in my Impala though. As mentioned I believe its with the RF.

6. Aug 23, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    James, I also had that exact same problem in my truck... What I did was move the ballasts lower in the truck, underneath as much metal as possible. I now have up to 6 ballasts running at once and not a bit of interference! Hope it helps you like it did me. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top