1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID's not igniting???

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 06yfz450ridr, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Feb 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    06yfz450ridr

06yfz450ridr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    CT
    HID's
    hey guys im new here but im hoping someone could help me out. I have a 97 tacoma dx with a 2.7 just finished installing my hids into my fog light and neither side is working. Ive checked the fuses, relay, all the wiring and the grounds and still nothing when they are connected to the relay harness. I plug each one up manually to my jumper box and both are working fine but through my relay harness i get nothing. Its very confusing, all the connections to the ballasts etc are hooked up correctly. Id say it just this crappy Chinese harness i bought. I Have a 55w bi xenon kit for my headlights and its all hooked up to the same grounds and battery terminals so i know the grounds arent bad.

2. Feb 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    looks like you already sorted out the problem...might need to get a new relay

3. Feb 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    06yfz450ridr

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    CT
    HID's
    i did get a new relay already and still have the same problem maybe the one ground/negative wire needs to be checked again. the only thing is the relay never clicks when i touch the switch wires together so it probably is the negative wire

4. Feb 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    have this issue at work all the time, try flipping the plug around for the headlight to ballast and see if that works

what i basically mean is, unplug the plug that goes into the ballast from the headlights. rotate the plug 180 and plug back in

just read the whole post, jumped ahead of myself. i guess the worst that happens after you try that is it still doesnt work

5. Feb 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    06yfz450ridr

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    CT
    HID's
    haha yea on my first install i had them flipped on my 55w kit i checked that this time and they were hooked up right. i may just have to try that but there is no clip on this ballast to flip them im really stumped on this one. it has to be that main negative wire. im gonna have to check it out in the morning thanks for all the help everyone is giving me though

6. Feb 4, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    ya, most of our ballasts dont have a clip either but the plug sits in there well and tight

7. Feb 6, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    06yfz450ridr

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    CT
    HID's
    figured it out i felt really stupid after. i never hooked a positive wire up to the switch first to actually close the rellay. now the only problem is a little bit of flicker from them. it seems as if they arent getting to there full power so im going to do the capacitor mod today to see if it helps

Products Discussed in

To Top