1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID's right or wrong

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 4WD, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Jan 12, 2011 at 11:05 PM
    Fennywald

Fennywald Betty Blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Tundra 4X4
    i was thinking that would look good, 10k would prolly def be too much. any pics?

2. Jan 12, 2011 at 11:24 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    10k would be too purple

3. Jan 13, 2011 at 2:27 AM
    Fennywald

Fennywald Betty Blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Tundra 4X4
    yea i def don't want that. I'm in no rush, just trying to figure out what would be best for my truck.

4. Jan 13, 2011 at 2:50 AM
    Gitmo

Gitmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seems like you're referring to all those bro'd out posers with the mall crawlers and HID's that are incorrectly aimed. There's no reason why someone can't have HID headlights and fogs if they're aimed correctly and don't blind traffic. Now if you're in a tiny car...that's your problem and almost EVERY truck/suv will look like it has their high beams on.

Personally I just installed HID's because they last longer, 10x brighter, and I have them aimed correctly. I will do a retrofit with projectors when spring comes but for now...they're just fine.

EDIT:

6000k is perfect for clear white with a hint of blue. 8000k is really blue and 10000k...ugly on tacoma's and the light output is terrible compared to 4300k/6000k. Or if you want crystal white go with the 5000K.

5. Jan 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Haha, tell me about it, I started this thread with what I thought was a viable topic & next thing I see is mostly responses about wattage & " Hey get the 1000000 watt retina removers, they're super bright, you can see everything " As I the driver coming at this whorish display of illumination , careen off the highway because i can't see a fucking thing..

Anyone who thinks its "Cool" to blind or at the very least go "overkill" with the lights should park their truck a short distance away at night & get into another vehicle & with the lights blazing as they normally would have them on try being the "on coming traffic" & see just how much their lights kill the other persons ability to see, I had a member here that I wheel with & consider a friend do just what I mentioned & he couldn't believe just how ridiculessly bright they were for on coming traffic & his are "set up" properly as far as aim goes, its the excessive GLARE these things put out thats so bad & I don't know why D.O.T. isn't involved with this safety issue.. OFFROAD I LOVE THEM , & thats the only place for them IMO...:cool:

6. Jan 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fact is HIDs in halogen housing are not just annoying but illegal.

I write an HID ticket every day just to make a point to the people out there. I keep trying to get everyone in my department to do the same. Most dont even know what Xenon means so no luck with those guys. I specificially target (and try to get everyone I train on how to write an HID ticket to target) pickups... there are no factory pickup HIDs (Save Cadillac and Lincoln) so they are pretty much 100% illegal, a safe ticket to write.

I hope to get more officers in other departments to do the same. Its the easiest ticket to write at night as a traffic unit. I plan on making an extensive post on some law enforcement forums for officers to use for evidence in court so this kind of ticket can get written with the regularity of speeding tickets.

7. Jan 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    Gitmo

Gitmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Well good thing that isn't in Alaska. I'll keep enjoying my HID's up here with no tickets AND no people flashing their brights at me. I don't care if it's in halogen housing...you can still aim it down far enough to be "safe". I've seen halogen headlights that blind me more than other HID's...Gee I wonder why?

8. Jan 14, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I didn't read the entire thread but will throw out my opinion.
    I am the proud owner of HID heads and fogs. I purchased them because I wanted a brighter headlight and drive a lot of rolly back roads. I also do not have the best eyes at night. I'm legal and corrected but every bit of light helps increase the safety of walkers, bikers, pedestrians and anything else I might hit that I didn't see. That is my biggest fear and the brighter heads and fogs make me much more comfortable behind the wheel.

We also have a large population of deer in PA. I hit one in my last Tacoma because I didn't see him standing on the shoulder. He jumped out at the last minute. Had I seen him, I would've slowed down and been prepared for any sudden jump he made.

I spent the time to aim my headlights and adjusted them after I got my lift. If you think I'm an idiot for wanting to see better at night then that's your choice. But I know why I did it and it was surely not for the "cool" factor.

That said...I suppose there are some who just keep adding lights because they want the blue tint or to increase the "cool" factor of their truck. That is fine as long as the lights are aimed correctly. You should take immediate action if you are flashed and your hi's are not on. When I first aimed my lights, I carried a screw driver to make necessary adjustments on the road if I was flashed. But I haven't had that problem.

9. Jan 14, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    I agree with you Doug, it becomes an annoyance when im trying to drive on the road and some jerk has his HIDs that are so bright they are blinding. In reality, do whatever you want to do to your truck, but be respectful to other drivers on the road.

10. Jan 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM
    Gitmo

Gitmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ignorance is bliss. I love how you act like you know for a fact that everyone with HID's are aimed incorrectly and blind all oncoming traffic/pedestrians/etc. All you're doing is playing the stereotype game before you even get your facts straight.

Yes I did read part of that article/website you posted. But why don't you explain why I have had no troubles with any police officers or oncoming traffic flashing their lights at me? When you're driving through a blizzard/white out in somewhere like Alaska or maybe it's a windstorm on the coast with snow blowing across the road...you need good headlights. Sure there are halogen lights that work just "fine" but I prefer HID's and will keep enjoying them.

11. Jan 14, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you want HIDs pay the money for propper reflector housings. DO it in a legal and responsible fashion. A projector retrofit is an example of a Xenon lamp being used in a propper Xenon housing. Quit justifying your illegal and irresponsible behavior just because you wanted to save some money and do the cheaper retrofit of HID lights in a halogen housing. It still causes glare with any color temperature or headlight adjustment. I see those guys coming 2 miles away due to massive glare. Again, I have no issue with a responsible and legal HID retrofit.

12. Jan 14, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    Gitmo

Gitmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    I'm pretty sure that document isn't too dense for someone studying engineering. You still are not listening to me either. People up here hate HID's and WILL flash their brights if you're blinding them. Just because the act is "illegal" doesn't mean that it's dangerous if you have them aimed down. Maybe you should buy a plane ticket on up here and see for yourself. There's plenty of potholes and bumps on the roads here...meaning even a car with projectors and HID's will blind you. I've seen many factory installed HID's blind myself on multiple highways.

Ok, the 'act' or 'process' of the way my HID's were installed is 100% illegal...just because it's illegal doesn't mean it's 100% dangerous. There's plenty of things that are illegal but not necessarily dangerous.

13. Jan 14, 2011 at 11:06 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Sorry Krookz but you are coming off as a "crusader". Some of us have a real reason for wanting HID's and need to get them cheaper than a full retrofit. It is possible to do this in a responsible way and not "blind" oncoming drivers. Yes, oncoming drivers will notice something different about your lights and they WILL be brighter...But to say that I am "blinding" oncoming drivers is an assumption with no information to back it up.

I'm sure there are HID owners who are not responsible and I hope that is what you are aimed at. But it IS possible to convert to an HID setup in a responsible fashion.

Seems pretty defensive, and fairly childish to call someone an "idiot" when they are simply arguing against your stance.

14. Jan 14, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Damn straight...:rasta:

Just ask our friends in California (and 14 other states).

15. Jan 15, 2011 at 2:36 AM
    Gitmo

Gitmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Thank you.

@krookz. Now you're just getting personal. Maybe next time you decide to get into a debate/argument/whatever you want to call it, you'll keep your mindset on the topic and not personal insults.

Your "opinion" doesn't even seem like it's coming from the information you pulled off that website but instead it seems like it's coming from past experiences you've had with other dumbasses that don't know how to install HID's (obviously in factory housings not projectors). Personally, someone of your age shouldn't even result to such a childish insult like the one you made.

Good day sir.

16. Jan 15, 2011 at 6:56 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    All criminals justify and rationalise their criminal behavior. HID installers, speeders, weed smokers, rapists, thieves, and murderers... they all have an excuse why its OK for them to break the law and why the law should not apply to them. Thats why I dont let people off on HIDs anymore. They always think its OK and no amoutn of warnings will get them to remove their glarring and illegal lights.

17. Jan 15, 2011 at 11:55 PM
    Gitmo

Gitmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Rofl. I guess I'm a criminal then. Please come arrest me officer.

18. Jan 16, 2011 at 4:38 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    A couple years ago, it was raining here in Pennsylvania. I was driving to the store and used my wipers but not my headlights. I became a "criminal" at that point and I figured I was already living on the wrong side of the law.

So I went big and broke the next biggest law I could think of....I got HID's!!!!!

I am one crazy criminal!

Products Discussed in

To Top