1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

high clearance cutting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 85yote09taco, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Dec 17, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    85yote09taco

85yote09taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    3'' OME lift, TRD CAI, Built Right UCAs, 285 Goodyear DURATRACS, black steelies, Fog light anytime, DTRL, Alternating turn signal, Diff breather relocated, Carrier bearing drop, Weathertechs, Bestop, Extended SS brake lines, CBI Sliders w/kickout, Cab mount chop, Total Chaos LCA skids, All Pro skids, Satoshi(HomerTaco), Bruteforcefab ''HC'' rear bumper, Bruteforce Hybrid front bumper
    A few months ago I purchased a high clearance rear bumper from ''Bruteforcefab''. I was sent a few pictures on the install however I just want to get a stock pile of pictures so tht when I take it to my friends body shop he and I have a better idea of what we're getting our selfs into.

I remember reading an article about two ''ATO'' high clearance rear bumpers being installed but can't seem to find it again. I was told by Billy at bruteforce that this would be very helpful, as the install is nearly the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As my bumper has just been painted and is ready.

2. Dec 17, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Kiss your truck goodbye! :D
    I read the post I believe your referring to, search and I am sure you will find it. There are others as well... if you have a buddy with a shop you will be fine... Good luck!

3. Dec 17, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    I'm sure the post the OP is referring to is under ATO in the venders section.

4. Dec 17, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Sorry, i was just checking the vendor thread (under ATO) and that particular thread your looking for i believe was actually deleted. I'm sure it was done when Lrgnr was banned.

5. Dec 17, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Who?

To the OP:

The basic method is to perform a rough cut approximately 1 inch below the bottom of the tail-light, then mock the bumper up on the rear end with a few blocks of wood between the bumper and frame to space it down below the fender. Carefully measure from this mockup, then perform the final cut. Be sure to prime and seal the cut fender to keep from exposing metal. Mount bumper in place.

6. Dec 17, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:

7. Dec 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    85yote09taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    3'' OME lift, TRD CAI, Built Right UCAs, 285 Goodyear DURATRACS, black steelies, Fog light anytime, DTRL, Alternating turn signal, Diff breather relocated, Carrier bearing drop, Weathertechs, Bestop, Extended SS brake lines, CBI Sliders w/kickout, Cab mount chop, Total Chaos LCA skids, All Pro skids, Satoshi(HomerTaco), Bruteforcefab ''HC'' rear bumper, Bruteforce Hybrid front bumper
    I do appreciate the help, I'm pretty nervous about the operation. Also does anyone know how to go about reinforcing the bed sides?

8. Dec 21, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

ATO provides some bracing brackets with their high clearance bumpers that bolt in behind the sheetmetal to keep the body panel strong.

Other fabs, I dunno.

FYI the method:

- Remove stock bumper and hitch. Be sure to detach your trailer plug first.
    - Make a rough cut approximately 3/4" below the bottom of the tail-light. Doesn't have to be perfect, but don't deviate more than 1/4" if possible.
    - Use 1" blocks of wood to space the bumper from the hitch mount, and clamp it in place on said mount.
    - Measure carefully 1" above the bumper when mounted in this fashion to determine where the final cut will be.
    - Measure three times. Tape off carefully.
    - Cut once.
    - Cut fender well guards to match.
    - De-burr the cut, and mask the exposed metal.
    - Seal with your method of choice - primer, spraypaint, RTV all work.
    - Once exposed metal has been sealed, bolt bumper in place.
    - Re-measure to ensure correct fitment.

9. Dec 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    85yote09taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    I;d give you a rep point but it seems you've helped me in the past I really appreciate the help

Products Discussed in

To Top