1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

high frequency dash whine in '08

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sook, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Dec 3, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    sook

sook [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport PreRunner SSM dbl cab sb
    Avid Offroad light bar, Steelcraft step bars, Extang Revolution tonno, TRD black chrome headlights, 09 LED tails, all window tint, OEM DTRL w/ GM shorty bulbs, tailgate hose clamp, fighter pilot with red cold-cathode, Pioneer AVH-4300BT
    Hey, has anyone had any luck getting rid of the high frequency dash whine that appears to be coming from the front passenger foot well?

Didn't want to thread necro - this sounds like the problem I'm having and it's driving me nuts. I tried the "jiggle the wires" approach and didn't fix it.

Assuming that the skinny box behind the glove box against the right wall is the ECU, that's what it's coming from.

If there's not a fix, any reason I can't "fix" it by putting some sound damping around that thing? Not so much wrapping paper it, but more like bubble it. I don't want it to overheat or something.

2. Dec 3, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    Taco11

Taco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Seattle WA
    Is it only there while the fan is on..?

3. Dec 3, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    sook

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Avid Offroad light bar, Steelcraft step bars, Extang Revolution tonno, TRD black chrome headlights, 09 LED tails, all window tint, OEM DTRL w/ GM shorty bulbs, tailgate hose clamp, fighter pilot with red cold-cathode, Pioneer AVH-4300BT
    nope. independent of lights, of ac, of fan, of radio.

always whines if the electrical is on, regardless of load, truck running, etc.

4. Jan 12, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    sook

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Alright, so I took it to the dealer. They couldn't hear it at first but after I was able to direct them right to it, they could. The rep, mechanic, and I checked 5 other Tacomas of various years that were also in for service. Any that had the same radio had the whine (see photo). Any without, didn't. They had no idea what part of that option causes the noise, but since it's normal, there was no "fix."

So, I took the glove box out and tucked a tshirt between the cabin and the ECU. It's not touching the ECU or pressing on the wires so I assume it's fine.

Just wanted to update this post in case someone came across it in a search.

[​IMG][​IMG]

To Top