1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High Idle

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jbv808, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Aug 3, 2016 at 12:56 AM
    jbv808

jbv808 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Maui, HI
    Vehicle:
    White 1995.5 Tacoma 2.7l 4x4
    -Kenwood Single Din Deck, 12" MTX Sledgehammer Sub, Orion 1500 Watt Amp -JBA Catback Exhaust w/ LCE Test Pipe and URD O2 Sensor Simulator -6 Inch Fabtech Lift (Hawaii Style!!) -Revolution Gear and Axle 4.88 Gears Front and Rear -5" Pro Comp Leaf Springs (More like 6"-7") -A340F Auto to W59 Manual Swap -2.5 Radflo Coilovers -JBA Offroad UCA's -Bilstein 5165 Rear Shocks -LC Engineering Headers -HPS Short Ram Intake -LC Engineering High Boost Supercharger w/ 5th Injector, pink top injectors, Walboro 190, Split Second Fuel/Timing Calibrator, AEM Water/Methanol Injected
    After giving the MAF Sensor and Throttle Body a deep cleaning, I stumbled upon a high idle which wasn't there before I cleaned them. Before it idled around 650-850rpms when warm but after a good cleaning a high idle ranging from 1000-1500rpms appeared. Its really affecting my gas mileage(lucky it ain't my daily lol) but otherwise runs great but it still really bothers me. Checked for any vacuum leaks and wasn't able to find any. Replaced MAF Sensor, Throttle Body, and IAC Valve gasket. Any help please?

P.S. The previous owner replaced the egr valve, egr solenoid, egr temp sensor, egr vacuum switch valve, spark plugs, and wires. I myself did replace the IAC Valve because the previous one was stuck open and it had a really low cold start idle that made it close to stalling and idling around 500rpms or less, that's why I didn't include it in the cleaning part.

2. Aug 3, 2016 at 7:02 AM
    KdF

KdF Old Rednek Type

Member:
    East-ByGod-TEXAS!
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner SR5 TRD 2WD
    Try replacing the throttle positioning sensor (TPS). If it has one.

3. Aug 3, 2016 at 8:56 AM
    James from Oregon

James from Oregon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma
    Coil over lift up front, OME springs in the back
    I had a high idling problem a while back. I didn't do anything with the MAS or anything, but it was due to low power steering fluid.

Seems unrelated but I hope it helps.

4. Aug 3, 2016 at 8:58 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    I never heard that before but if it worked then thats good to know.

5. Aug 3, 2016 at 9:07 AM
    James from Oregon

James from Oregon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma
    Coil over lift up front, OME springs in the back
    Yeah the high idle bedeviled me for about a month.
    Another thing I went through a while back was high idle due to a lose battery connection.

In both cases the engine had to run higher in order to compensate.

Now if it high idles again those are the first things I check.

6. Aug 3, 2016 at 1:38 PM
    jbv808

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Maui, HI
    Vehicle:
    -Kenwood Single Din Deck, 12" MTX Sledgehammer Sub, Orion 1500 Watt Amp -JBA Catback Exhaust w/ LCE Test Pipe and URD O2 Sensor Simulator -6 Inch Fabtech Lift (Hawaii Style!!) -Revolution Gear and Axle 4.88 Gears Front and Rear -5" Pro Comp Leaf Springs (More like 6"-7") -A340F Auto to W59 Manual Swap -2.5 Radflo Coilovers -JBA Offroad UCA's -Bilstein 5165 Rear Shocks -LC Engineering Headers -HPS Short Ram Intake -LC Engineering High Boost Supercharger w/ 5th Injector, pink top injectors, Walboro 190, Split Second Fuel/Timing Calibrator, AEM Water/Methanol Injected
    It does have a TPS but it seems adjustable so I might give that a try but I figured if I replace it it needs to be adjusted regardless. I can adjust it be the only problem is you need to apply vacuum in one of the ports near the throttle body which I don't know how to do.

And never woulda thought low power steering fluid or a loose connection in the battery would cause that. Will definitely give that a look.

7. Aug 3, 2016 at 8:16 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    after cleaning did you reset the EFI (or w/e)? pull the EFI fuse (if ithas) or pull the neg(-) battery cable for about 3 minutes

8. Aug 3, 2016 at 10:09 PM
    jbv808

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Maui, HI
    Vehicle:
    It does have a EFI fuse and I did pull it and it looked fine and disconnected the battery for actually 30 min but that wasn't right after I cleaned it. I did that after I read a few forums after but still nothing.

9. Aug 4, 2016 at 6:42 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    how many miles/times run since the cleaning/EFI fuse pull? It can take a few hundred miles to dial in sometimes.

10. Aug 4, 2016 at 12:45 PM
    jbv808

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Maui, HI
    Vehicle:
    The truck isn't my daily so I run it at least 2-4 times a week but I took it fishing on the other side of the island so i'm pretty sure I ran it for at least a few hundred miles already.

11. Oct 20, 2016 at 4:41 PM
    Time41

Time41 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2001 Toyota Tacoma 2.4 liter RZ auto tans.
    @jbv808

I have been reading as much as i could for people who are having similar problems as i am having. After reading your issue it had struck some memories of things i might have done to cause a malfunction of my truck. My problem of high idle is not fixed after an engine rebuild so it must have something to do wit sensors in my case.

I have a few questions for you. Have you replaced M.A.F. sensor? How did you clean M.A.F. sensor? Have you tested Idle air control sensor/vale? Does your particular year of tacoma have a charcoal canister? Have you tried replacing canister if you have one? Is your throttle cable to loose? does you tacoma stall or seem to have rich fumes coming out of exhaust when first starting in morning or after sitting for a while? Is your truck set up for California emissions? How old is your exhuaust line from the manifold to the muffler? Is it in good condition? Are your sensors for exhaust good? Does your truck have a difficult time going up hills? Does it want to stall sometimes when on a hill that is somewhat steep?

My problems for my truck had started i think with me cleaning the M.A.F. sensor. I didn't think there to be an issue due to the fact i used the right cleaner and did things as required to the "T". Then the fun to try to fix problem occurred. Now i almost have a brand new 2001 2.4 tacoma, another 3k dollars and it will be for the most part. Hoping to fix problem before then.

I hope to read how you fixed problem.

12. Oct 20, 2016 at 8:07 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Could be a number of issues, throttle body maybe, if you have a lot of miles on the truck
    the throttle body might be worn out. Mine was working fine till I cleaned it. There was a worn ridge
    by the butterfly valve on the wall of the TB. The carbon filled in the gap. After I cleaned it there was a gap exposed that was filled in with carbon.
    So I had to buy a new throttle body. Look to see if there is a worn gap between the wall of the TB and the butterfly flap.

13. Oct 20, 2016 at 10:21 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    There should be a little slack in the throttle cable where it connects to the throttle bell-crank.
    If not, that could cause a high-idle.

14. Nov 19, 2016 at 12:48 AM
    jbv808

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Maui, HI
    Vehicle:
    Fixed the high idle after speaking to a member of LCE Engineering. Happened to be the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. Pulled that PITA right below the valve cover right underneath the wiring harness on my 2.7l engine. Had to remove the whole air intake tube so I could move the wiring harness to the side and reach all the way in the back. But anyways, got it to idle at 650-750 rpms with minor adjustment to the throttte stop screw. it kinda takes a while for the idle to settle from a cold start but most likely because the thermostat is sticking a little but otherwise when the engine is at normal operating temp, it idles just fine. Was supposed to change the thermostat with the coolant temp sensor since I had to drain the coolant but the local parts store didn't have the gasket so decided to replace it another time. Now time to spoil my toy :cool::D @Time41

KdF likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top