1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High Revving with Cruise Control

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Grover, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Apr 4, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    Grover

Grover [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Findlay, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab
    I've got 5,000 miles on my '09 Access 4 banger auto and was rolling along at 70mph at about 2200rpm on cruise control and headed up a small hill into a 40mph wind. Cruise kicked out the overdrive, then went to 3rd,...... and then went to second gear at 5500 rpm! Suprised or scared the crap out of me! Is this normal? After that, I manually put it in third on the uphills.

2. Apr 4, 2009 at 8:07 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    The speed falls off so quickly that the cruise control continues to downshift all the way down to second to get it back. I've learned to manually shift it into trrid when I hear it start to downshift. That seems to keep it from downshifting into second. I upshift at the top of the hill or bridge back into overdrive.

3. Apr 4, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    I have to stop using CC whenever a hill is coming up. The CC wants to stay exactly at whatever I set it at. For example if I set the CC at 65 and a hill is coming it will give a little more gas but if it is still at 63 or 64 it will just floor the pedal until 65 is reached.

CC will save you gas on flat long stretches but not on hills. When I drive on a hill my speed may drop a few MPH and that is fine. I don't need it to stay at exactly 65, so, to avoid the auto trans downshifting I allow the vehicle to slow a few MPH and I keep the gas pedal at the same spot.

All cars and trucks I have driven have been this way.

4. Apr 4, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    Blackened Taco

Blackened Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC 4WD TRD Sport Tacoma Speedway Blue
    3 inch suspension lift, 16 inch TRD FJ Cruiser black alloys, 33 X 12.5/16 Swamper Trxus M/T, Line-Xed Toyota skid plate, TRD exhaust, TRD cold air intake, Full tint to match factory tint, In channel wind deflectors, Custom wired hidden XM, Black shorty antenna, Black background headlights, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Kenwood 5120 HU with navigation, Boston Acoustic SL60 front compnonent speakers, SL65 rear speakers, Grillcraft lower mesh grille, Black badging, AromorTech Offroad rear bumper and rear shackle flip kit Access tonnosprt cover, 12 volt power adapter wired in under the dash for standard plug in items. Recently added Devil Horn Toyota Logo, Thanks Andres.
    Your CC will accellerate hard when going up a hill to keep the set speed. The vehicle is not a human and does not the sense of touch. All it knows is that you told it to go a certain speed and the computers make sure you maintian that speed. Very normal operation for the CC. If you are not used it, it will get your attention.

5. Apr 4, 2009 at 8:48 AM
    gouge44

gouge44 $DO WORK$

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    FloRiDa
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner TRDsport DoubleCab
    Tinted windows, toytec ultimate 3inch lift- front c/o rear aal, 18" black rockstar rims, 275/70/18 toyo opencountry mt's, BLUE dome light, 6000k H4 HID bixenon, kenwood kvt-514 headunit,black badges, satoshi grill :] sold it and now have a wrangler....
    u also have to look at all conditions u are going against trying to go up a hill with a 40mph headwind.... that 4banger deff got worked in that one

6. Apr 4, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    lasllc

lasllc Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Denver Burb
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport 4X4 Tow Pack
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    I have 09 AC manual trans so dont know about the auto, but...
    In my wifes car we can turn off the 4th gear OD when in cruise and living in denver with the mountains all around it has become common for us to just lock the tans out of 4th untill it flattens out a bit.

On the other hand, when I am driving the car I will sort of use the 4th gear OFF button as a shifter, when I see the hill coming up I click out of 4th, the trans goes to third, momentum is conserved (to a certain point) and at the crest of the hill click back into 4th for the down hill or flat.

It all comes with knowing how the car will react on hills of differant grades.

7. Jul 23, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    dfltil

dfltil New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Dunnellon Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner
    I have a Tacoma Prerunner and tow a 17' fiberglass camper about 2500 lbs and am wondering if the cruise control can be adjusted. I tow at abut 58-60 mph and notice that even on slight grades the transmisson will downshift. It seems too sensitive and sometimes a strong headwind will cause it to downshift.

I currently just pull the control to coast and use the foot feed till the road levels and then re-engage.

I would really like to have it adjusted to be less sensitive.

The Tacoma really pulls the camper beautifully otherwise.

don

To Top