1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

high rpm's

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by TXpro4X4, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Jun 1, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 [OP] Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    My 2011 rpm's stay at 1200 while moving in neutral. Like a high idle or something. Anyone have an explanation? No cold air, just trd exhaust. 6 speed manual trans.

2. Jun 2, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    TXpro4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Can anyone help??????

3. Jun 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    TXpro4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Naw when coming to stop light. Even sometimes kicks up a little more than that its the weirdist thing.didnt happen in my 05.

4. Jun 3, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    TXpro4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    No, i know what you are talking about too.

5. Jun 3, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Pretty sure mine's at 12 like all the time. I'll have to take a look later.

6. Jun 3, 2012 at 8:42 AM
    Blackcat10

Blackcat10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dirty or bad IAC valve. (Idle Air Control Valve) Could also be a vacumn leak.

7. Jun 4, 2012 at 12:03 AM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    x2. What's your true idle when the truck is stopped.

8. Jun 4, 2012 at 12:06 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    All the time, or only short trips?

Did you disconnect the battery recently?

9. Jun 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    that is strange, mine idles around 600 rpms in neutral, park, or stopped in drive.... once its warmed up A/C or not.

10. Jun 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I'm wondering if it's just short trips to work, engine is still warming up?

11. Jun 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    arrrghhh

arrrghhh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Custom Front Bumper, Smittybilt XRC-8, 3" OME lift, 33" Falken A/T tires
    I've noticed mine does this as well. Only when in neutral and rolling. As soon as I come to a stop it settles back down.

Never really bothered me, I figured it was just part of the vehicle. My '96 Maxima does this too...

If the RPM's truly were high, it would worry me. But 1200? Meh. If it's idling at 3k, then start worrying :p

12. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Under 1500 rpm you fuel kicks back on to keep engine from stalling.

13. Jun 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    lynnchpin

lynnchpin YOTACO

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4WD TRD Debadged
    ...later
    I have the exact same issue. I just can't accept the idea of anti-stalling as the reason to idle so high when 900RPM is normal...300RPM is a considerable difference. There must be a way to program that out

14. Jun 20, 2012 at 5:25 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    If I put the clutch in while rolling, it does the same thing. It hangs around 12-1300, and near 5mph, it settles down to normal. I assume there is a reason.

15. Jun 21, 2012 at 5:32 AM
    lynnchpin

lynnchpin YOTACO

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4WD TRD Debadged
    ...later
    So am I wrong for thinking that coasting in neutral has any effect on saving fuel?

16. Jun 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    lynnchpin

lynnchpin YOTACO

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4WD TRD Debadged
    ...later
    Thanks, I appreciate you removing that fallacy from my brain. I'll use it on the next tank and tally the results.

17. Jun 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    There are select situations when coasting in neutral can save a little fuel, even with the 1200 rpm idle. Examples:
    -if the grade is such that the vehicle keeps about the same speed when coasting, and the engine isn't doing anything to push the vehicle, it takes less fuel to run the engine at idle speed than at in-gear speed
    -if driving through a descending speed limit sequence (i.e. 55-45-35-25), it's sometimes possible to time the coasting of the vehicle with the changing speed limits

Know your local laws, coasting down a hill is often illegal (throwback to the days of easily-faded brakes).

A rule of thumb I use, use DFCO whenever possible. The truck has so much momentum it takes a long time for the engine braking to slow it down. I'd really rare when I can take advantage of either of the above. More often, since air resistance is so significant with a truck, and the idle is so high, the speeds that coasting usually most benefits mileage (25-45) often are better done with the truck put into 6th gear. Either the difference in fuel consumption is similar or, at the lower speeds, even less because 6th gear will force the engine under 1200 rpm.

Remember (at least on the manual tranny) you don't get fuel cut unless you let off the gas pedal with the engine running at least 1600 rpm. If you're spinning slower than that before you let off the pedal, you're burning gas. Once enabled it'll stay cut off down to 1200. If you tap the gas while it's cut and the engine is spinning between 1200 and 1600, gas still flows after you let off the pedal again.

18. Aug 23, 2012 at 6:27 AM
    TXpro4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    No real answers from anyone, :-( god danm it fucken Toyota. My last taco I loved. Logiclly it fees like something is wrong. And im also getting 240-260 per tank of gas. My real concern for this is extra engine ware! Wtf they cant give back miles. Oh yhea danm thing runs better with the a/c going.

19. Aug 23, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This"..............

Don't forget Uncle Sam is dictating how you are going to drive.

Emmisions come first. Drivability is

Way down here.....

20. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    TXpro4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Man this sucks, I do what u say and downshift and no fuel economy diff.rpms just seem all wrong when coming to a stop, And when I am coming to a stop the rpms shoot to 15 1600! I should video it! I shall video if.

Products Discussed in

To Top