1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High School Student: LEO Help.

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by ChamYota, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Sep 3, 2011 at 10:40 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Any time. That's why we are here. If you have any questions at all, just post em here in this thread or PM me. If I don't have the answer, I'll get you pointed in the right direction to get the answer.

2. Sep 3, 2011 at 10:43 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota [OP] AKA Crash Bandicoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Clemson,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner AND 82' Toyota P/U 4wd
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    Will do :thumbsup:

3. Sep 3, 2011 at 10:43 PM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    He makes what evryone else here makes. He is a cop and was a great street cop, just so happens he's a computer guy. He also does alot of work with our mct's (mobile computer terminals. It's not a raise in pay, they are sworn LEO's who are computer detectives. If your looking for money go federal. I just don't want someone to tell me where to live. The federal life sounds good but you are at the mercy of the federal gov't. You have no life of your own but the pay is great from what I understand.

4. Sep 4, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Just one last 2 c. At the federal level you will make alot more entering with a 4 year degree than most local pd/so's. This is because they require mostly more training. Researching DEA salary, the training salary (what you get in training) is about 38,000. A deputy sheriff in my county makes 37,000 just starting out. And then after the the DEA agent gets out of training (16+ weeks), they make 49,000-55,000.

Just some agencies to look into OP:

DEA

ATF

US Marshals

You can go the FBI or CIA route also.

5. Sep 4, 2011 at 7:24 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Clemson,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...

Personally Money is the last thing Im worried about at first as ill be a entry-level LEO. Over time as I gain my experience ill eventually apply for a federal job. Both State and Federal Officers has excellent benefits from what I understand.

6. Sep 6, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    In SC, I wouldnt TOUCH state LE right now

too many issues going on with the $$ and higher ups

You'll get good experience working for a larger local department

I personally have zero military experience, went to college and got a business management degree...and just applied on a whim after a couple buddies got hired by my department...

In SC you have to get a job first, and then that agency sends you to the academy

If you have any further questions about SC in particular, feel free to PM me

7. Sep 6, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    Frostbyte

Frostbyte Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    03 Black SR5 4x4 TRD Off Road
    RIP - 07 Radiant Red SR5 4x4 TRD Sport Fabtech 6" lift, 33x12.50.18 Toyo M/T on All black XD Hoss wheels
    it depends..... here is my opinion:
    Law Enforcement: People will hate you, the publics view of you will be jaded because if you screw up, your the asshole, if you do your job, your the asshole, if you cant catch the "bad guy" that broke into someones car, your the asshole, ect. you will also look at the general public differently. You wont fit into the public, because you will always be the asshole that gives out tickets, the public will never realize that you protect the city, county, or state depending on where u work. I rarely get thanked for what I do, and most times feel unappreciated doing my job, but law enforcement is what i have wanted to do since i was a kid.

Military: I actually wish i would have done this instead, or at least reserves. People support our military. The public wont be on your ass as much as law enforcement, however, you have to worry about being deployed, or PTSD. you will also look at the public differently, but they are more likely to fit in better with you, because you protect our contry and they accept that.

Both are similar, yet have their differences. I like doing LE, its a mindset, a lifestyle.... but i have always wanted to do it, so it doesnt bother me as much as i see it bothers others.

8. Sep 6, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    Kilo22

Kilo22 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Midsouth
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Blacked out badges, weathertechs, bull bar, rear diff breather mod
    http://www.21stcenturypaladin.com/2007/09/sheep-wolves-and-sheepdogs/

OP, read the ENTIRE link above. Its basically the mentality of an LEO/military and how we tend to be preceived. I would suggest doing a ride a long with agencies in your area first. See if you enjoy it, cause its not for everyone. If you choose college or military, you are getting great tools for whatever profession you decide on down the road.

9. Sep 6, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Clemson,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone for your input. I just realized that i have a retired LEO that lives right next door to me. Ill hit his house up later. Im still firm solid that LE is what i want to do. College is first though.

Afterwards or while im in college, ill ultimately have to make a choice about what Level (state,federal) most likely the latter that I want to go in. Hopefully y'all have provided enough information. :D

P.S. feel free to add on if you have more to say. The more info the better. :D

10. Nov 4, 2011 at 11:05 PM
    Bee22971

Bee22971 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garth
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD
    King 2.5 C/O, DSM UCAs, 2" AAL, and AllPro Sliders
    I know this is late but I thought I would put in my .02. I'm bu and I got there by first going to college and then serving 6 yrs in the U.S. Army as both a nco and officer. This path worked for me and I love my job but, there is no easy road. The common sense and life experiences you gain along the way make you a better Agent and more desirable to any agency or department you chose. At the end of the day, the Bu hires you for your decision making abilities.

Don't discredit any LE opportunity you are given. I highly respect my local and federal counterparts and honestly could not do my job without their support. Also, internship will help you learn and decide which agency best fits you. Good luck.

11. Dec 25, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Clemson,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Alright guys, its been a little over a year and i've made a bit of progress in my pursuit to find a LE career that i want to pursue, Im enrolled in college at the moment and I'm doing well at the moment and hope to continue my fortunes into the second semester.

I still want to pursue an internship with the Federal bureau of investigations and eventually secure a job with them, I feel like if i applied myself more in the classroom and physically i stand a good chance at nailing an internship. There hasn't been any job fairs at our campus that has had any type of federal agency representative(at least that ive seen). I would welcome any type of opinions, tips, ect. that would aid me in my endeavors.

:eek:

12. Dec 26, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    Bee22971

Bee22971 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garth
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD
    King 2.5 C/O, DSM UCAs, 2" AAL, and AllPro Sliders
    Which office r u out of?

13. Dec 26, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Clemson,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    I dont understand the question :eek:

To Top