1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High Speed Braking Vibration - Steering Gear?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jjadkisson, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Jan 22, 2011 at 5:58 AM
    jjadkisson

jjadkisson [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Zuni, Va.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Taco SR5 Pre-Runner
    A.F.E. Magna Flow Intake, Tranny Cooler, AAL, Reese Trailer Brake Controler
    When braking at highway speeds I'm getting a serious vibration. However, it's not coming from the brake pedal, just the front of the truck.

I eased on the E brake at speed to see if it may be the rear brakes, no dice!

Pulled off the front wheels and checked the rotors and brakes, they are in very good condition. No warpage, grooves etc.

However....

I shook the disk from side to side while it was mounted on the truck and I'm getting a decent ammount of movement from the steering gear and steering knuckle.

I grabbed the tie rods next and twisted them side to side and there is a major ammount of movement in both.

Is all that movement normal?

If not, what is the fix and how much will it run for parts?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

2. Jan 22, 2011 at 7:03 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Do this again (shaking) and watch the entire rack&pinion. Does the entire rack move? It could be your steering rack bushings.
    http://www.lieblweb.com/steeringbush.html

Could be your balljoints

Any vibration in a truck is NOT normal. So - if you're feeling it, there's a problem somewhere. Balljoints, bearings, & bushings should not have any (or obviously noticable) movement outside of what they are designed to do.

You just have to narrow it down to what it could be. Steering rack bushings are known to go bad (get sloppy) on the 1st gen trucks. Although, it probably won't totally fix your vibration issue....... it's a good (and cheap & easy) maintenance item to take care of. Sounds like you might have few things going bad at the same time.

3. Jan 22, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    Whitfield

Whitfield Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD X-cab on 35's / 96 X-cab on 33's
    Selling my 96 Tacoma to fund the FJ80 build up.
    A braking vibe is warped rotors 99% of the time. Warped rotors are not somthing you are gonna see until you chuch the disk up on a lathe. .

Products Discussed in

To Top