1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High Transmission fluid temperature, wtf just happened

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by 50ShadesOfTaco, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Apr 27, 2021 at 8:54 PM
    50ShadesOfTaco

50ShadesOfTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    2018 Magnetic Grey Tacoma OR
    I have a 2018 offroad 4x4 and I was driving on the freeway omw home from work today and this happened. I was going about 75 with cruise control on. All of a sudden my truck started slowing down even though there was no one in front of me to trip the sensor. It down shifted what felt like 2 gears and when I pressed on the gas nothing would happen. It kept slowing down and I had to pull over. Once I stopped it stalled out. When I turned it back on a warning stating something like "high transmission fluid temperature". Immediately turned it off and back on and everything was fine. Drove home like normal. It accelerated and shifted like it normally does. No clue why that happened.

Then later I had to go to the store so I decided to risk it and drive my truck. Omw there it worked fine. I thought the issue was magically gone. Then on the way home I turned up a steep road close to my house. The rpms dropped and when I tried to give it some gas it almost stalled. I pulled over and put it park and it settled down and idled as normal. Turned I turned it off and on and drove home as normal.

I have no clue what is causing this but since it went away temporarily and drove normally I'm hoping/assuming it's not something too serious. Tomorrow morning I'm taking it to the dealership, but does anyone know what could be causing this?

2. Apr 27, 2021 at 9:01 PM
    Skydvrr

Skydvrr IG: @kalopsianick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    YMH
    Vehicle:
    Black '17 OR
    Fuelp pump recall? Or ckp sensor?

jlemmond, Junkhead, hiPSI and 4 others like this.
  3. Apr 27, 2021 at 9:03 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Potentially low transmission fluid from the factory, or a bad sensor.

The dealership will read the stored codes and go from there.

4. Apr 27, 2021 at 10:15 PM
    mattleg

mattleg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR DCSB AT 4WD
    When the engine stalls out the AT trans temp as well as multiple other warnings come on the dash. Potentially a fuel pump by your description, had the recall done yet?

Edit: Oh, and the downshift was expected. You gave it more throttle as it was losing power, the trans downshifts per the shift tables for the increased throttle position.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Chew likes this.
  5. Apr 27, 2021 at 10:36 PM
    Kev250R

Kev250R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Orange, So.Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
    Floor mats, junk in center console
    Crawl underneath and see if anything is leaking. Low transmission fluid will cause these symptoms. If no fluid is leaking then it sounds like it could be a bad fuel pump.

6. Apr 29, 2021 at 12:12 PM
    stevebaz

stevebaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2016 access cab, TRD offroad 4x4, Quicksand
    When the truck stops the converter dumps hot fluid in to the tranny that has not gone to the cooler yet which is why the temperature spikes and the light comes on. You need to solve the acceleration issue.

7. Apr 29, 2021 at 12:21 PM
    brandon78lusch

brandon78lusch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    East Carolina University
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport DCSB, 1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    Some Tacoma’s have low fluid from factory. Have you had it flushed/changed yet?

8. May 5, 2021 at 8:42 AM
    tacoma543

tacoma543 Member

Member:
    AHHH help!!! I'm in the same boat pretty much as you are, my only problem is I know EXACTLY why its happening... I was an IDIOT and put all the gas I had for WHO KNOWS HOW LONG in the garage into the truck and of course it has the same thing happening. So far, everything is pointing to the fuel being A LOT older than I thought, so bad fuel problem.

So far, I have put 2 tubs of Heet in the tank, but still had the issue so I got some premium gas and topped it off, and still has the same issue going on... Any insight into how you fixed your issue? I'm assuming I'll need to next try to drain the tank, so thought I'd see if you did that and how you ended up doing it.

9. May 5, 2021 at 8:49 AM
    50ShadesOfTaco

50ShadesOfTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    2018 Magnetic Grey Tacoma OR
    I forgot to update this, my bad. I took it to the dealer last week and they kept it for a couple days and they found out it was because a wire was loose for the fuel pump. There was a recall for the fuel pump and it got replaced in January (before I bought the truck) and they probably didn't install it quite right. They replaced the wire and then tore apart the fuel to make sure there was no other issues and they couldn't find any.

Now it drives perfectly with no issues. Very grateful for Toyota and how helpful the employees were. I didn't pay a dime and they gave me a free rental. I used to have a Subaru before my taco and they were never this helpful with anything.

10. Dec 12, 2021 at 5:52 AM
    KeithMD

KeithMD Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hi all, I had the following issue happen last night and experienced the following faults: High Transmission Fluid Temperature, Low Oil Pressure, Check Charging System

I did see several posts with similar faults, but no conclusive results after "googling.”

Truck is a 2019 TRD sport w/ premium and technology package, 19,000 miles, No electrical or mechanical mods. Fuel Pump recall completed about 12 months ago. Truck has been trouble-free since new.

Some background: Drove 20 miles in moderate rain, parked outside for about 1 hour and after normal start and driving less than 1 mile at 25 MPH, truck lost power, shuttered and stalled. Received a TRAC OFF and Check Engine Faults. I shutdown, waited a few minutes and restarted. Idle was rough and had low acceleration before second stall. The following faults were displayed: High Transmission Fluid Temperature, Low Oil Pressure, Check Charging System.

Tried two additional attempts and managed to position the truck into a safe parking space, and left it for the night.

I am returning this morning to try and see if it will start and drive safely to local Toyota dealer, otherwise will have it flat bedded to dealer.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

C32D6DE5-D3AA-4A03-94CA-16F8FD50303F.jpg
    5864914B-FA66-4636-B041-F5A2B25BF305.jpg

11. Dec 12, 2021 at 6:27 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    That looks like all the warnings people with a bad crankshaft position sensor would get.
    1. Check Engine Light
    2. Trac Off Light
    3. Check Charging System
    4. Low Oil Pressure
    5. High Transmission Fluid Temp.
    6. Yellow Master Warning Light

cryptolime likes this.
  12. Dec 12, 2021 at 6:33 AM
    KeithMD

KeithMD Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thank you splitbolt, I’ll do some additional research on the crankshaft position sensor.

13. Dec 12, 2021 at 6:42 AM
    splitbolt

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    You really need to pull codes...
    The same warnings will come on with a failed ECU; you'll have a bunch of injector codes. There was one lady on this forum who had hers replaced twice IIRC, before it was remidied.

cryptolime likes this.
  14. Dec 12, 2021 at 6:47 AM
    splitbolt

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Also, IIRC, the crankshaft position sensor(CKP) doesn't throw a code...you have to measure it's waveform.

15. Jan 4, 2023 at 8:38 AM
    prerecordedlive

prerecordedlive New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma SR5
    I had my 2016 towed to the Toyota dealership Friday night after it threw the “transmission fluid temp high” code and failed to accelerate after about 10 minutes on the interstate.

They’ve had it since then and insist that nothing is wrong with it. Computer doesn’t produce a history of any codes. They can’t replicate the issue. There was a point at which it wouldn’t even crank on Friday night.

I’ve asked about the crankshaft position sensor recall and they insist they checked that thoroughly and are out of ideas. I’m having them appraise it now because I asked the service consultant to have them give me an offer for it since I know used car inventory is low and they’re so insistent that it’s fine.

16. Jan 4, 2023 at 8:40 AM
    Chew

Chew Not so well known user

Member:
    First Name:
    Chewy
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR
    Amazon dog poo bed mat mod
    k

Skydvrr likes this.
  17. Jan 14, 2023 at 10:53 AM
    prerecordedlive

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma SR5
    Follow-up to last week:

I picked it up that afternoon with them having done nothing. Codes miraculously cleared. Drove it for a week and it went limp again, thankfully in my neighborhood so I was able to crawl it into the driveway.

I opted to tow it to the Toyota dealership north of me that’s about twice the distance. It took them less than an hour to find code P065714:
    Actuator Supply Voltage "A" Circuit Short to Ground or Open. An open or short is detected in the electronic throttle control system power source (+BM) circuit (1 trip detection logic).

I suspect the first dealer pulled the fuse while servicing the crankshaft position sensor recall and never put it back because it wasn’t just blown; it was missing.

Drove perfectly on the way home. No codes, no jolting, no sputtering engine, and no smells. A little out of the way for me but they’ve made a customer and I’ll make sure our Tacoma and RAV4 both go up there for service from now on.

Hopefully this post helps someone else with this issue at some point. I know we’ve all beat our heads against the wall at some point trying to pinpoint an issue.

stftaco, Canadian Caber and Chew like this.
  18. Jan 14, 2023 at 12:18 PM
    Chew

Chew Not so well known user

Member:
    First Name:
    Chewy
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR
    Amazon dog poo bed mat mod

wow, a missing fuse?
    You might nicely let them know, so they can inform the tech, I am sure it was a mistake and they have no idea. You'd like to think if Toyota had to pay for it, they would, but I doubt it.

cryptolime likes this.
  19. Jan 18, 2023 at 4:22 PM
    prerecordedlive

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma SR5
    Ah well, that wasn’t the only issue. Back to the drawing board. Waiting on the third tow truck to take it back to Toyota.

This time I got the same sequence of errors but as I turned off of a busy road, my power steering went out and I almost hit someone in oncoming traffic.

I’m at a loss. What would your next move be if you were me?

20. Jan 18, 2023 at 4:42 PM
    AZ_Tumbleweed

AZ_Tumbleweed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB Cement 4x4 AT

Do you happen to have raptor lights or anything tapped into the fuse box? I had similiar symptoms and that was the cause

Chew likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top