1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Highway/Dry pavement driving in 4hi

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by emmitt, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Jan 27, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    emmitt

emmitt [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Calgary Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OR AC
    I'm wondering why there is nothing in the manual (I've been through it cover to cover) and nowhere does it say not to drive at highway speeds,on dry pavement in 4hi. I have read alot of the threads regarding this (some great info. for sure) but if damage was that probable, I would think someone should have noted it. Any thoughts..................:confused:

2. Jan 27, 2009 at 3:36 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    I don't think it's that big a deal honestly. Did it in my Durango on Icy days in TX.

3. Jan 27, 2009 at 3:38 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It also doesn't tell you what conditions you need to use 4WD in or I'm pretty sure the manual doesn't explain when/where to use the locker either.

If they had to explain everything - the manual would be too damn thick (and who reads the manual anyway?)

4. Jan 27, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    It's probably not that big a deal, but I still like to err on the side of caution. I've kept my truck in 4hi a few times on icy roads, but I never get over 50 miles per hour, just for the sake of making myself feel better about it.

5. Jan 27, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Maybe someone smarter than me can elaborate, but I think the main problem with using a part time 4wd vehicle on dry pavement is turning. I believe it can bind the front axles and cause cv joint damage. I can't see how going in a straight line could hurt anything. JMO.

6. Jan 27, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Your on the right track, the difference between our part time system and an all wheel drive system is a centre locking diff, on our part time system when you flip the switch to 4x4, it locks the centre diff to what ever power split it is 60/40, 50/50 I'm not sure? Either way your front wheels are going to try turn a slightly different speed from the rear, from cornering ect. this difference causes binding. The system is designed to operate within these conditions to an extent. Increased heat and wear will be unavoidable though. On an AWD system the front and rear are not locked together in the same way, some like Land Rover have a locked position for better traction off-road. I wouldn't recommend driving on dry pavement for extended periods in 4x4. People do it drag racing and such, but they also break things.

7. Jan 27, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    emmitt

emmitt [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Calgary Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OR AC
    Thanks for the input and explanation. I've probably only gone 150 miles,all highway so................ Great forum!!

Products Discussed in

To Top