1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hiking Thread

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by SurfInferno, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 29, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    you download the maps, and then it just needs a gps signal to navigate with. that maps are free from mytopo.com

2. Mar 29, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    ^^ This. 90% of the places I go have no cell service therefore cellphone based navigation is useless.

3. Mar 29, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    woodygg

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    it doesn't use the cell signal, it uses the gps signal. that maps are in memory.

4. Mar 29, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches

interesting...keep us posted on how that works...i'd still use my garmin but that would be a sweet feature to have for smaller hikes

5. Mar 29, 2011 at 2:15 PM
    woodygg

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    that's the point for me, less gear and cost period... does everything the garmin does already built into my phone. that's why i passed on the nav type headunit in my car since i already have that on my phone as well. fun to have google sky on it as well for afterdark...

6. Mar 30, 2011 at 6:35 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck

Good Choice I have the same boots and love them! They dry surprisingly fast!

7. Mar 30, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    SurfInferno

SurfInferno [OP] Dont be stupid, its not smart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 DC
    Its finally looking like hiking season here in socal :) rain is slowly fading

8. Mar 30, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    :pout: Forecast here says snow, snow, and more snow...

I guess I'll just put a few more miles on my snowshoes yet this year!

9. Mar 30, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    SurfInferno

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 DC
    it was 80 sumthin degrees here today....but i was working and in class all day :rolleyes:

10. Mar 31, 2011 at 5:59 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck
    SurfInferno - that Gif has me cracking up! Funny Sh*t

11. Aug 21, 2011 at 9:47 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    went hiking to switzer falls today in the San Gabriel Mountains, 10 miles from my house
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Aug 21, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    Nice!! :thumbsup:

13. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:51 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Does pushing a MTN bike uphill because I'm out of breath count as hiking?

14. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)

NO! It means you're outta shape... :p

I'm pretty sure you knew that was coming. :D

15. Aug 23, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    SurfInferno

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 DC
    or it means you dont feel like driving to mammoth to take a gondola ride up to the top of the mountain

16. Aug 27, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Went to Foster Falls today just outside Tracy City. Hiked the Climber's Loop trail. No water coming over the falls since it's late summer, but there was still plenty of water at the base. Didn't take any pictures, but there are at least 4 or 5 good climbing walls on the trail. We passed several groups of climbers. Makes me wish I wasn't so out of shape and could do some of that stuff. I thought I'd try my five fingers on the trail which was a little bit of a mistake. The rocky trail made me wish I'd worn my boots. Feet aren't bruised or anything, but I don't think I'll hike rocky trails in them again. It was a nice day out and we still had a good time.

17. Aug 27, 2011 at 11:22 PM
    redes

redes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Offroad
    double car seat mod
    I am jealous of all you guys that live near some of these beautiful places. I have snowboarded Taos NM and Snowbird UT and Hiked/Camped my way from Austin Tx to Rocky Mtn National Park twice with family, but my normal fair is nowhere near so glamorous as some of the pictures many of you have posted.

I moonlight with a company that puts on endurance trail races in central Texas. I run some, but most of my miles tend to be marking, measuring, and clearing trail for the events. Trails in central Texas are extremely varied. East Texas tends to be pine forests with soft pine lined trails and tree roots to keep your attention. West Texas is mostly flat and boring with some extraordinary places sprinkled about, Davis Mountains, Palo Duro Canyon, half-dozen others. But most of our time is spent in the Hill Country, a geographic transition between the coastal East plains and high West plains. I think the Hill Country most resembles the opening title sequence from MASH. The landscape is rolling hills at a distance with rocky, technical, and unforgiving terrain up close. It is an awful lot of fun.

My favorite place is the Hill Country Natural Area in Bandera, Texas. We put on a 100k event there each January. It is a trip I circle on my calendar each year. In fact I was pretty bummed that I couldn't make it last year, but my second daughter insisted on being born then. Supporting the races usually consists of a 5 or 6, 5 mile hikes over three days or so. The course is ~30mi, but divided between 5 aid stations. Volunteers split the course up and work in teams to mark it, monitor it during the event, and tear down and clean up after. Since the event lasts a full 24 hours we get to see the whole park at all times of the night and day. For about 6years or so it seemed it rained more than not out there. In fact, I bought my Taco because between this race and another we have had a dozen trucks, or so, get stuck and I wanted to have the tool to get out. Recently though we have had pretty dry races. The last three or four years have been dry, but the temp has varied from the high 70's-low 80's (in January) to 8 degrees a few years back. We had coffee freezing in our mugs during that one. I don't have a lot of pictures but this is a link to a tour of the race course: http://www.tejastrails.com/docs/Bandera__Sto.html

Check out tejastrails.com to see other event, they all have pictures somewhere in the page, though the format of each page can be inconsistent so you may have to hunt some.

Anyhow, here in Austin, I have several 3-6 mile trails that I try to rack up 15-25 miles a week on. This summer has been too dry and too hot to get toward that upper number at all, but I am hoping for some relief by mid to late September. I keep telling myself that I will parry all these miles into some kind of trailing for the 50k event in Bandera, finishing that has been a big dream of mine, but the truth is, I think I train just so I can have fun working the race.

Sorry for the long winded post, the first post asked for a story....

18. Aug 27, 2011 at 11:27 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    I love to hike for fun and for the work out....

But a few Ive been on rescently are the PCT (pacific Crest Trail) starting from Timberline lodge Mt. Hood....

And the other is Silver Star Mountain.... Great views! and terrain... (view 5-6 different mountains)

19. Aug 27, 2011 at 11:35 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    jumped a 60 foot cliff today at chantry flats, filmed it too, but dropped the gopro when i landed. heading back tomorrow morning with a flashlight and goggles to find that shit.

20. Aug 28, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)

how long did ya think about it before jumping? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top