1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hilux Revo 2016 Build....

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by JAFO, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Sep 5, 2016 at 7:07 AM
    JAFO

JAFO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thailand
    Vehicle:
    2016 Hilux 2.8L Turbo Diesel
    Toytec Lift, Zeon 8000-S Warn Winch, Rival Skid plates, Bilsten 5200 Gas shocks, TRD 17" Custom wheels. KR3 BFG Mud terrains
    Been busy at work but found the time to track down and order a Prototype TRD grill. Interestingly they appear to be delivered on some odd select trucks but none in Thailand, mostly Australia it appears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also ordered my rollbar from Piak. I had to call them because I wanted a specific style that didn't seem to be available here but they will ship one out. I wanted something that would not impede on the bed area but offer some reasonable support. I will have them weld in the support underneath the bed rail to make it more robust. I would love a full cage inside the cab bar set up but not going to happen over here. I will post up pics once installed. Wait time is 2-3 weeks. This company also makes a very slick rear bumper replacement I am interested in. Will look into it later on.

Btw, no update on the Race chip yet to turn up the power, it was slated to be out end of August but not quite ready yet.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Plain Jane Taco likes this.
  2. Sep 5, 2016 at 7:29 AM
    AmorPatriae

AmorPatriae Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB SR5 4x4
    TRD Sport Hood, Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau cover, OEM Bed Extender, SOS Front Bumper, SOS Rear Bumper, Pro Comp 84 Series Vapor, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
    Are they confirmed to actually hit the states in 2017 or is it just going to be like the Ford Bronco and never come out?

Oh, and beautiful truck! Very jealous.

3. Sep 5, 2016 at 11:47 PM
    JAFO

Member:
    Thailand
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Lift, Zeon 8000-S Warn Winch, Rival Skid plates, Bilsten 5200 Gas shocks, TRD 17" Custom wheels. KR3 BFG Mud terrains
    Thanks. It's coming along.

4. Sep 6, 2016 at 12:31 AM
    IronPeak

IronPeak PermaLurker

Member:
    First Name:
    AuggieX
    Back to Back
    Vehicle:
    2007 sr5 4x4 DCLB/2015 TRD sport 4x4 DCLB sold
    Bigger Taller Slower
    Subb'd this is awesome

5. Sep 6, 2016 at 6:11 AM
    JAFO

Member:
    Thailand
    Vehicle:
    Hey Thanks Ironpeak. This is a fun build and I am really enjoying having owned both (2014 Taco and 2016 Hilux)

6. Sep 6, 2016 at 6:30 AM
    El Tano

El Tano i am the one who knocks

Member:
    Pasadena. CA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD sport
    Corvette homelink FRONT: 5100 Blinstein set at 0 Procomp 3" leveling kit Allpro UCA’s. REAR: Icon Multi Rate RXT Leaf Pack 5100 Blinstein. 17x9 kMC wheels 0 BS 285/70 17 Wildpeak A/T4W C range Amp research steps. and a bunch of TSB's
    Subbed, thank you for sharing.
    My perfect hybrid would be a hilux with an outside Tacoma body.

7. Sep 6, 2016 at 10:34 PM
    JAFO

Member:
    Thailand
    Vehicle:
    You know El Tano, I would agree on some year Tacos over a Hilux body but I have to say the New Taco front looks odd to me. I dunno. Maybe it will grow on me but for now the grill and lights protrude out to far and the lights look funny and out of place. Again not looking to start a debate it's all personal preference, just how I feel looking at it. I think Toyota tried to hard to make the front look like a big full size Ford or Dodge. In the end it doesn't really matter. It's all plastic on both the Taco and Hilux so it's not going to stop anything. LOL.

8. Sep 7, 2016 at 5:32 AM
    El Tano

El Tano i am the one who knocks

Member:
    Pasadena. CA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD sport
    Corvette homelink FRONT: 5100 Blinstein set at 0 Procomp 3" leveling kit Allpro UCA’s. REAR: Icon Multi Rate RXT Leaf Pack 5100 Blinstein. 17x9 kMC wheels 0 BS 285/70 17 Wildpeak A/T4W C range Amp research steps. and a bunch of TSB's
    I was talking about the second gen Taco. The reason why I don't have a new taco it's because I don't like the new one, I don't like the interior and I don't like the outside. Not sure what I will do....

9. Sep 9, 2016 at 10:16 PM
    JAFO

Member:
    Thailand
    Vehicle:
    I hear ya. I felt the same. In time maybe it will grow on me. Not sure. I will not see any here so its no big deal but I do browse this site and see them.

10. Sep 10, 2016 at 6:05 AM
    JAFO

Member:
    Thailand
    Vehicle:
    Help me out, BHLM ???

11. Sep 10, 2016 at 6:22 AM
    slowlane

slowlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    I was just in thailand about a week ago. Stayed in bangkok a couple days and went to two different cities. Hilux's everywhere!! Saw a good bit of rangers too. Dope trucks!!

I noticed when we were driving, everyone had volk te37 rims and big break kits. Im like "dang how does everyone afford that". I saw a car with volks and they looked to be fakes and another with brembo break covers. Then it all made sense.

Awesome truck!!

12. Sep 10, 2016 at 6:37 AM
    JAFO

Member:
    Thailand
    Vehicle:
    There are some knock off's for sure but a great number are authentic. Folks in Bangkok make some good cash versus the cost of living and like us, these guys make choices on what we want to spend our cash on LOL. Some will live in small condo's to have top car parts. I did the same when I was younger.

What brought you to Thailand?

13. Sep 10, 2016 at 6:39 AM
    JAFO

Member:
    Thailand
    Vehicle:
    Thanks was on Google trying to figure it out LOL.. Have to research that.

Thanks on the Truck. Hobbies are fun.

14. Sep 10, 2016 at 12:53 PM
    slowlane

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    Vacation and the......ping pong show. Haha. We got suckered into going with another couple.

We stayed at a really cool hotel in the river kwai.

15. Sep 10, 2016 at 7:19 PM
    JAFO

Member:
    Thailand
    Vehicle:
    HAHAHAHA. The Ping Pong show. Heard of it for years. never went. Interestingly never been to any of those gigs anywhere in Thailand. But all good.

The River Kwai is great to see. Its in the Kanchanaburi Province. Lots of interesting war facts and a very nice memorial area as well. Pretty crazy what the Japanese did to the POW's. I have been a couple times taking family once and some people who asked for my services through a friend of a friend. I have a small very select tour guide business if people want to come and see some places. Not pluggin a business here just saying. Its a lot more user friendly to go to another country and have a resource to point you in the right direction and have a phone number to call in the event of an emergency.

Glad you had a good time. There are some really awesome places to go and see here. Being my wife is Thai she knows where all the good ones are away from the tourist filled places.

16. Sep 11, 2016 at 3:34 PM
    slowlane

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    I do not suggest going to them! One of the guys we were with got hit in the nose with a ping pong ball!! I i told him to get checked for an std. But hey, as they, when in rome.

The same guy that got hit in the nose, got into a screaming match with some lady who seemed to be the owner of this place. They agreed to letting us in for 100 baht a person and when we tried to leave they wanted 1300 baht a person. If they could erase that hour from my memory i would have gladly given them 2000 baht.

We were there on a guided tour, our guide was great! I would love to go back and visit southern thailand.

17. Sep 11, 2016 at 5:48 PM
    JAFO

Member:
    Thailand
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I have been here for 10 years now and have never gone to any of that stuff. Never interested me. I know thone shows and girl joints bring lots of people from all over the world(mostly men). Sad though as in many cases that's all people ever hear about when it is all localized to about 3 or 4 areas in big tourist places. Sounds like the place was trying to scam you as they love to exploit tourists. Glad you got out ok. It's the same in Mexico, Brazil, Bahamas etc.

The south is very nice. There is double standard pricing. Rooms near nice beaches are expensive like hotels in the US. However when my wife books hotels for us they are about 75% cheaper. They know tourists are used to $150 to $200 a night rooms. LOL.

Northern Thailand is outstanding to go to as well. I live in the north. Awesome mountains and jungles. No tourist places except in Chiang Mai. Food is outstanding. Weather nice. People great.

I have been all over Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. Thailand is the best in my honest opinion.

What part of the South do you have interest in? There are some incredible secluded beach resorts that are unknown to tourists because they typically drive them to stay in Phuket. Koh Samui and Krabi are the same. Nice but expensive.

18. Sep 17, 2016 at 4:55 AM
    JAFO

Member:
    Thailand
    Vehicle:
    Some more junk to add to the thread,

So I ended up meeting some guys up in Nakhom Ratchasima where I am working. I saw them one day parked in their trucks talking. They own a 4wd fab shop. Unlike the guys I met in BKK, these guys are pretty hardcore fab and wheeler types. Turns out after BS'n with one I met, we headed back to his little shop. He happened to have the PIAK Rear bumper I wanted and was going to put on another customers truck but it was being totally torn down so. I said lets toss it on. I wanted to help but they insisted I chill so they had a couple of shop hands install it.

[​IMG]

The PIAK rear set up. This is very stout. That is Thick walled steel tubing and plate steel.

[​IMG]

Bumper on. Very nice clean set up. comes with Hook loops, Trailer hitch and ball and all grade 8 mounting hardware.

[​IMG]

Hard to tell in this pic but you can see how the tube wraps and protects the body and is well built underneath.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  19. Sep 25, 2016 at 9:51 AM
    foxhound_69

foxhound_69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Culpeper, VA
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB OR Cement
    Looking good so far! Nice to see something other than a taco but still a Toyota getting some attention!

20. Sep 25, 2016 at 8:40 PM
    JAFO

Member:
    Thailand
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I figured I'd have some fun with it. The Hilux trucks are workhorses here. Clearly the best truck offered . Chevy, Ford, Mitsubishi offer trucks in Thailand now. I see them but not being used like people use their Toyota's. I really like my Revo Hilux. Now that I have about 10k miles on it I have to say I like it better then my Tacoma. The Diesel engine is very smooth and powerful with loads of potential.

Products Discussed in

To Top