1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hindsight is 20/20?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SoTexTacoma, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Jul 2, 2011 at 3:37 AM
    SoTexTacoma

SoTexTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AllOver, TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRDOffroad
    BP-51 w/Dakars MobTown Hybrid Bumper All-Pro skids Redline Hood Struts AllPro bed bars
    So i got the Taco a few years ago, for a very good deal. At the time, I thought the X-cab would suffice for me & my family. (wife drives a Rav4) As life goes, we now are charged with the care of my baby niece due to some unfortunate circumstances. Anyway, I live close to the Gulf Coast and frequent the beach. My problem is this- now that we have a baby car seat to haul, we don't get to take the Taco anymore! I am kinda wishing I would have looked at the double cabs. I think my truck gets depressed when we go to the beach without her! The Taco LOVES driving in the sand, playing on the dunes, and pulling other non-tacoma owners out of trouble. My question is this- Does anyone else wish they would have looked at a double cab instead of the X-cab or reg-cab?

2. Jul 2, 2011 at 3:59 AM
    bicklebok

bicklebok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    My gripe is that I cant believe Toyota didnt put a rear door on the Xtra cab from the first date of it's production. I bought one brand new in 99,and that's what I remember most. That truck was later repo'd due to my lifestyle. I still liked that truck, and 12 years later and I bought another Xtra cab. I like them that much!

Dont know how big your family is or how small your niece is, but I used to put my daughter in her car seat behind the driver seat. Fold out the plastic table thing and the car seat works there. And you still have another jump seat for another child.

If that plan doesnt work, take 2 vehicles to the beach on occasions. I know it will cost a little extra in gas, but it would be worth it!

Last option, sell it and get a 4 door Tacoma. All Tacomas have great resale value.

3. Jul 2, 2011 at 5:20 AM
    SoTexTacoma

SoTexTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AllOver, TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRDOffroad
    BP-51 w/Dakars MobTown Hybrid Bumper All-Pro skids Redline Hood Struts AllPro bed bars
    Yeah, she is only 7 mos. so we still use the rear facing seat. I'm just griping, tho. I know she will outgrow it soon enough and the truck will play in the sand again. I wanna say that I read somewhere that the reason toyota didn't put a door on the access cab was due to some fed regulation. Something to do with the lack of strength in case of a roll over situation. I don't know.

Have thought aboot trying a trade into a double cab. We'll see...

4. Jul 2, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    el dudarino

el dudarino Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's why I bought the double cab. I'm a couple years off from kids, but yeah. I wanted to keep it around for a while. Foresight FTMFW!

5. Jul 2, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    toysrgood

toysrgood Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Reg Cab
    This right here. Plus I like the space for other things. I had to cut the child restraint hooks for my sub box but there are other ways to secure a child seat. I also saved the hooks in case I want to bolt them back in with some huge washers and grade 8s.

But yea, 5 year foresight ftw :)

6. Jul 2, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    mikracer

mikracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB | TRD Sport 4x4
    I bought an xtra cab at first, then sold it to get a double cab. I always wanted a double cab, but got a decent deal on the xtra cab. But when I found a good deal on a double cab, I bought it, then sold the xtra cab. Luckily, these trucks are pretty easy to sell because they are still desirable, so if you really need to get into a double cab, you can sell it pretty quick.

7. Jul 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    I went from a reg cab 1996 s10 to my DB Tacoma and love it. My sons (6) & (3) no longer have to fight over who sits where.

Not going to ask the circumstances, but regardless good on you! Family = #1

Products Discussed in

To Top