1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hitch Mounted Tire Carrier

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by shr133, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Jun 24, 2019 at 12:47 PM
    Jasonsfirsttaco

Jasonsfirsttaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2007 4cyl taco access cab
    3in leveling kit with strut spacers and add a leaf, bull bar, 2 cube off-road ditch lights, 20in light bar, 4x 6in light bars, painted rear bumper, grill change, new head lights, black out badges, thule roof rack/ amazon roof basket, 17in rims, 245/70R17 AT tires, tri fold bed cover, rubberized undercoating, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, running boards, new speakers, bluetooth audio, black box MOD.
    Would this mount work for a 5lug wheel? I'm looking at trying to make one of there

2. Jun 25, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    Jasonsfirsttaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    3in leveling kit with strut spacers and add a leaf, bull bar, 2 cube off-road ditch lights, 20in light bar, 4x 6in light bars, painted rear bumper, grill change, new head lights, black out badges, thule roof rack/ amazon roof basket, 17in rims, 245/70R17 AT tires, tri fold bed cover, rubberized undercoating, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, running boards, new speakers, bluetooth audio, black box MOD.
    Yeah if you’re gonna get that one you might as well just buy a body armor bumper and the swing arm cause it’s pretty much the same price, and you get a new bumper

3. Jun 28, 2019 at 12:37 PM
    Jasonsfirsttaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    What did you end up doing with the plate? I’m tryna figure out where to put mine

4. Jun 29, 2019 at 2:58 PM
    bigfella13

bigfella13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    4 banger 4x4
    Lift, armor and such. Money pit, check out the build thread...

I just zip tied it to the wheel, haven’t had it in the truck for a while now, was going to just get a bracket to mount it on the carrier below the wheel and use some motorcycle license plate lights and tap into the existing plate lights. Another project on the list.....

5. Jun 29, 2019 at 10:03 PM
    Jasonsfirsttaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Oh word, I was reviewing my states plate laws and at least for Jersey I think it’s ok to mount it to the rear bumper off center. I’ve seen that on a lot of jeeps and vans but the law just says it needs to be horizontally placed on the rear of the vehicle 24-48 inches off the ground I think

6. Jul 1, 2019 at 4:20 PM
    Jasonsfirsttaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Alright I finally got the pieces and put this thing together, gotta drill the holes still but here’s how it looks. I used an old 2 inch wheel spaced on the face so it keeps the tire off the tailgate. The only thing I notice is there’s a little play in the whole system so it wobbles a little but some hitch spacers will fix that alright. I’m pretty happy with how it looks, easy build. Will have to move my rear plate to the side of the bumper so it’s not blocked though!

262FDD57-3E2D-4DC0-A3E6-07507C951D9C.jpg
    3D0164DA-91C8-4CDF-8778-8FEEC79FC2C4.jpg
    9788E4AF-7C7B-43A3-91BC-80B07C7D144B.jpg

7. Jul 1, 2019 at 4:54 PM
    Jasonsfirsttaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Yup used all the parts! Though I think the hitch hinge might be out of stock but I found the same one on ebay

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Taco critter likes this.
  8. Jul 2, 2019 at 12:13 PM
    Jasonsfirsttaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Alright so I drilled the holes and got it all in place so here's my thoughts. It works well and is pretty solid. There's a little wiggle room but that can be adjusted with on hitch stabilizers. The issue I'm having is the hitch hinge has two spots for a pin where the tire mount goes. The lower one is to hold the system in the upright or down low position, the top one is to keep the mount secured. The problem is when there's a pin in the top hole, the system will not lower all the way because the pint hits the metal on the sides of the hinge, (almost like the factory made the hole 1/8 to 1/4 inch too low. Now this could be corrected by either A) Drilling new holes just above the factory holes or, B) Taking a hack saw to the little bit of metal that catches the hinge pin. I think I'm going to do option A, because its simpler and won't leave sharp edges.
    Just a disclaimer to take into account for anyone trying this build.

Taco critter likes this.
  9. Jul 3, 2019 at 12:40 PM
    HokieHT07

HokieHT07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Think this would work?

10. Jul 3, 2019 at 12:42 PM
    Jasonsfirsttaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that’d work but I think I’m gonna drill it to my bumper off to the side

11. Jul 3, 2019 at 12:44 PM
    HokieHT07

HokieHT07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD Off Road
    This might also work if you decide not to drill.

12. Jul 16, 2019 at 9:57 PM
    shr133

shr133 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Muskego, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 Sport
    K & N filter, 275 70 17 Cooper AT3, OME Nitrocharger shocks, 884 Springs, Dakar leafs.
    This is such a cheep easy mod. I haven't welded it for more strength yet, but it seams ok. I only use mine for going up north "to the woods ect" and when I go over to the dunes. So far 2 years old still going strong with no problems.

Taco critter and HokieHT07 like this.
  13. Jul 17, 2019 at 6:41 AM
    Jasonsfirsttaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    After All my hard work I think I might be ditching this mod, I got a roof basket recently and I think I may throw my spare up there. The problem I've had with this mod is a couple things. First I use my bed all the time and constantly having to lower the spare holder and raise it is getting to be a pain. I've noticed that my truck is now another foot longer in the back (already have a 6foot bed), so this has made parallel parking very difficult as I can no longer judge the room I have in the back. I'm gonna hang onto the setup in my garage but I think I'm gonna have to take it off my rig. This is just my personal experience with it, the rig is fairly sturdy and looks good its just not practical enough for me.

Taco critter likes this.
  14. Jul 17, 2019 at 7:05 AM
    Jasonsfirsttaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Possibly, are you in Jersey?

Taco critter likes this.
  15. Jul 17, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    FYI I fit a 33" in my stock location - just had to hammer back some of the tabs with a sledge. otherwise, out of site and out of the way.

16. Jul 17, 2019 at 7:19 AM
    Jasonsfirsttaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Then no sorry it’s heavy and gonna be expensive to ship and I don’t wanna make you pay more than you should

Taco critter likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top