1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hockey Trash Talk & BS thread

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by EquinsuOcha, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Jun 3, 2021 at 5:18 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Onus in the current rule book is on the player delivering the hit.

Intrepid likes this.
  2. Jun 3, 2021 at 5:18 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    4 games. About right IMHO. Horrible news for the Jets.

Intrepid likes this.
  3. Jun 3, 2021 at 8:05 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Yeah, I’m not saying he isn’t at fault as the rules define it. I’m just saying players are way less cognizant of keeping their heads up to make sure they don’t get run over.

now that the league is penalizing big open ice hits especially when there is contact to the head, players are quick to drop their head and look down because it’s hard to hit them without your shoulder hitting their bowed head. Players should keep their heads up and expect a hit when they have the puck.... not just hope everyone will play by the rules.

you get injured, they get a penalty. You were right and they were in the wrong. Great. That doesn’t fix a concussion.

4. Jun 3, 2021 at 8:10 PM
    davidstacoma

davidstacoma Friendly Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR Access cab - Utility
    *OEM Mods: Intermittent wipers, Fogs, Keyless Entry, Lomax
  5. Jun 3, 2021 at 8:41 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Put on the stripes for a bit. Trust me, you'll see things a bit differently. Do players, "protect the puck," more now than they used to? Yes. The game is also faster than ever and the rules have changed to adapt to that speed. You could tell immediately after the hit that he regretted coming into that hit full on. He knew if he really wanted to stop a goal there, there was a better way. I always remember what an ex-WHL ref taught me once. Body checking is the process of removing the player from the puck, not removing the player from the ice.

6. Jun 4, 2021 at 4:39 AM
    TacoHank1998

TacoHank1998 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 Green Tacoma Base
  7. Jun 4, 2021 at 4:41 AM
    davidstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    True, Canes did let Tampax Bay eat two of them :D

TacoHank1998[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jun 4, 2021 at 10:33 AM
    Blue Hooligan

Blue Hooligan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma TRD Sport
    You can probably confirm this question I was thinking about, I haven't seen this brought up yet:
    Scheifele has a choice to play the body or the puck. He obviously choose to play the body lol.
    Looks like the puck crosses the goal line only .1 or .2 seconds before Evans gets obliterated so I wouldn't really say it was a late hit because Scheifele is going so fast there is no time to bail. Because of the distance he travelled any contact is going to be a charging penalty.
    So if Scheifele actually gets there in time, delivers the hit, and the puck doesn't cross the goal line, it's still called a goal on the ice because the penalty is drawn by a player trying to score into an empty net right?

9. Jun 4, 2021 at 2:56 PM
    neverstuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Yes I’m sure if I had your wealth of knowledge and life experience I’d understand the situation as well as you do. :thumbsup:

I have reffed but I don’t think I need to validate my position. Players skate around with their head down unconcerned about being hit like they never used to before. I don’t think that’s such a bold position to take. Whatever.

Evans never should have expected to be hit, while about to score an empty net goal in the playoffs with players bearing down on him. Cool. Consider me educated.

Addendum - that came across much snarkier than I intended. No butt-hurt feelings anywhere I hope.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  10. Jun 4, 2021 at 5:37 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    looks like top titty scores again.

enforcertaco91 likes this.
  11. Jun 4, 2021 at 9:04 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    No, because you can only award a goal when you would a penalty shot but there's no goaltender. To award a penalty shot a player must be free and clear as well as fouled from behind (NHL rules.) Since the hit was delivered from the front it doesn't trigger an awarded goal.

It's still charging though, since the NHL rules now don't require either a certain step count or leaving the feet anymore. An unprotected player hit in a wreckless manner, as determined by the referees, can trigger a charging call now. I'd look up the specific rule, but I'm camping and feeling lazy lol.

12. Jun 4, 2021 at 9:09 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Do you need me to bring out the doll so you can show @OZ-T where I touched you.

Jesus man. Don't take it personally lol. We get it. Players are pussies now. You want the Scott Stevens days back. That's your opinion and I can respect it. That's not how the rule book is written though. Hell charging in the NHL can apply to basically any hit now based on the on-ice officials descretion. This has been done to prevent players from getting Karya'd. This is being forced from the bottom up, heck at lower levels head contact is now an auto double minor with a game ejection after three. It is what it is, and going back to the NHL and this hit, the suspension reflects the rule in its intent and writing. Should the player of been ready to be killed? Maybe, but the game now allows for players to try and make skilled plays without worrying about being hit like a pedestrian at a bus stop.

Intrepid likes this.
  13. Jun 4, 2021 at 9:38 PM
    davidstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Vegas scores 2 goals in 45 seconds late in the 3rd to take the lead. Big turnaround.

Sterdog, RedWings44 and TacoHank1998 like this.
  14. Jun 5, 2021 at 4:44 AM
    TacoHank1998

TacoHank1998 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 Green Tacoma Base
    Yeah... I turned it off after 2nd int thinking COL had it in the bag. Woke up to see VGK won.

RedWings44 likes this.
  15. Jun 5, 2021 at 4:48 AM
    RedWings44

RedWings44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Off Road 4x4, 2019 MGM 4Runner SR5
    VGK has outplayed a lot of their opponents, but seems to struggle finishing chances.

16. Jun 5, 2021 at 12:10 PM
    neverstuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    Great burn, that. Hilarious reference to sexual assaults on children. Tagged Oz to make sure he didn’t miss it too. Classic.

:facepalm:I think we are on the same page with the hit, but you’re arguing a point I never made.

I never defended the hit like the responses seemed to indicate.

All I ever said was players don’t keep their heads up like they used to; and they should, for their own safety. I don’t think getting your lights switched off in a big open ice hit at centre is a classic part of the game that we should miss. I just don’t think players should blindly assume no one is going to run them over when they have the puck. Look both ways at crosswalk even though no one is supposed to run you over, right? There have been some pretty bad ‘accidental’ open ice collisions too that would have been avoided if players had their heads up.

I do think it’s a shame that the team from North division least likely to have a successful cup run seems to be the one that will go on to the third round.

17. Jun 5, 2021 at 3:11 PM
    enforcertaco91

enforcertaco91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    West is best !
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Terra (terror) Pro
    PPF Front grill, bumpers and headlights.
    Still think the prez winners have a good choke left in them ... go chokrado !

18. Jun 5, 2021 at 4:43 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well. Only 5 minutes in and this bruins Islander game 4 has turned into a boxing match. Gonna be a lot of sore hands in the morning

TacoHank1998 likes this.
  19. Jun 5, 2021 at 5:01 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    :annoyed: pastrnak missed a empty net shot.:eek: hit post. Gonna be a brutal couple of games here.

TacoHank1998 likes this.
  20. Jun 6, 2021 at 1:13 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I just want to point out that a Team Canada made up of second and third line players, at best, that lost its first three games of the tournament just won the IIHF world championship. Wow.

98tacoma27, Intrepid and davidstacoma like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top