1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hole in frame on 2007 SB - Inspection Monday

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NeonHeights, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Nov 4, 2017 at 10:41 AM
    NeonHeights

NeonHeights [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Was scraping off some of the undercoating on my 2007 4x4 DCSB today to sand it down and apply POR15 rust preventative. I was prepping the truck for a full rust proof next week.

While I was running a flathead screwdriver along the frame to scrape off some of the old undercoat, the screwdriver hit a lip in the frame (which I thought was just undercoat peeling off), so I scraped it some more and noticed it was very rigid, and was actually metal. I wedged the screwdriver under the lip and noticed there was a big hole that has developed under the undercoat. The hole is right behind the cab mount on the passenger side by the front wheel. I cleaned everything up and took a few pics which I included below.

My truck was inspected earlier this year but I can see how this would of been missed considering it was underneath the hard undercoat layer. I called the dealer and booked an inspection for Monday for them to check it out.

Does this look like potential grounds for a frame replacement? I have no idea how that would even work considering I have a DB lift installed and no longer have my stock tires either.

IMG_1530.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1534.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  2. Nov 4, 2017 at 10:53 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    Have Toyota inspect it. You might qualify for a new frame.

over60 likes this.
  3. Nov 4, 2017 at 11:03 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    jezus fuck..... thats bad.

Atlas86 likes this.
  4. Nov 4, 2017 at 11:22 AM
    NeonHeights

Member:
    Inspection is monday.. one of my mechanic friends is saying they may not honor it since the truck has a drop bracket lift..

Also said he thought the recall ended earlier this year. Im in Canada so I dont know the details

Hole is around 25mm-30mm in diameter

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  5. Nov 4, 2017 at 11:27 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don’t think any frame replacement has been declined due to lifts.

Maybe if yours is failing right where the new crossmember was welded on? But doesn’t seem to be the case.

6. Nov 4, 2017 at 11:28 AM
    NeonHeights

Member:
    Thats what I thought as well. No one has told me for sure that it will be declined, just thats what he "thought" anyways. My lift IS a bit different than just putting new shocks on though.

7. Nov 4, 2017 at 1:40 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    A standard lift you are correct.

A drop bracket lift requiring an aftermarket modification and CUTTING of the frame.... 100% grounds for denying a frame replacement. Sorry OP. Good luck, maybe you will find a sympathetic dealer.

8. Nov 4, 2017 at 1:46 PM
    NeonHeights

Member:
    Cant see how the rust would be affected in any means by the cross member cut.

Plus the original inspection I had earlier this year where they told me it was 'fine' was before I had the lift even put on. And I can guarantee you a hole that big did not form in 6 months during the summer. So this rust issue was present long before the lift was ever installed

Sort of scenario where Toyota would have to prove the rust was caused by the drop bracket if they were going to deny me the replacement. And good luck with that considering the section that was cut out was far away from the hole and was properly sealed/cut professionally.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    tacofish and T4RFTMFW like this.
  9. Nov 4, 2017 at 1:49 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    This.

No history of frame issues, sure. But tens of thousands of failed frames.. not making a difference IMO. Always a chance, I guess, but I’d be surprised.

10. Nov 4, 2017 at 3:56 PM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    Get a new frame put on,the problem was caused by Toyota's cheap frames,not by anything the O.P did.

NeonHeights[OP] likes this.
  11. Nov 5, 2017 at 3:08 PM
    Bocsy44

Bocsy44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Sport
    This that and the other thing.
    I think you will be fine bud, like u said, no way that happened in the last 6 months and not caused by the DB lift haha I hope everything works out for you and I would be happy to get a new frame, paint that shit with POR15 the day you get it back haha cuz that's what I would do lol the god damn salt doesn't do us any favours up here lol

NeonHeights[OP] likes this.
  12. Nov 5, 2017 at 8:28 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    The problem isn't that the frame cutting caused the rusting hole. The issue is that they will not modify the new frame for your DB Lift.

They don't have to prove that the modification caused anything. You are confusing Aftermarket parts instead of OEM parts usage. They cannot install a stock frame with a DB Lift installed without cutting it and modifying the cross member. They are not required to and probably will not do this. I know I wouldn't.

13. Nov 6, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    NeonHeights

Member:
    Right on, im absolutely aware of that and wouldn't expect them to. I would take a new frame and have to reinstall my lift against keeping my lift with a rusty frame any day.

14. Nov 6, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    NeonHeights

Member:
    Dealer inspected the frame this afternoon, manager tooks pictures and sent them off to Toyota to get approval. No idea how long its going to take to hear back, the service guy said maybe around 2 weeks?

Bocsy44 likes this.
  15. Nov 6, 2017 at 3:29 PM
    tacofish

tacofish Well-Known Member

Member:
    N NJ
    Vehicle:
    14 ext cab 4x4
    3/1 lowrange spacer lift 285/70/17 wildpeaks
    Hope they approve new frame
    There is enough original parts floating around here that u could buy up before the new frame comes in have them get it back to stock
    Once its yours again mod away.

Good luck

16. Nov 6, 2017 at 3:55 PM
    NeonHeights

Member:
    Luckily I kept everything that came off my truck when I swapped to the DB lift. So I think im good in that department

Only thing I dont have anymore are my old tires. So i would have to run 33s on stock suspension for a little bit which would NOT be fun.

Bocsy44 likes this.
  17. Nov 6, 2017 at 5:32 PM
    tacofish

tacofish Well-Known Member

Member:
    N NJ
    Vehicle:
    14 ext cab 4x4
    3/1 lowrange spacer lift 285/70/17 wildpeaks
    pick up some cheap wheels on CL
    If they do it should give u new lower control arms, bushings, brake lines and may be rear springs

18. Jan 22, 2018 at 6:57 PM
    Bocsy44

Bocsy44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Sport
    This that and the other thing.
  19. Jan 23, 2018 at 12:42 PM
    NeonHeights

Member:
    Crazy and annoying experience after all was said and done.

- Brought the truck in on a Monday for the dealer to start the frame replacement.
    - A few hours after bringing it in, I get a call that my E-Brake cable is seized, and they want $350 in parts, and $250 in labor to put a new one in.
    - A few hours after that, they've broken the outer tie-rods and steering shaft end when taking them out and want $90 to replace the parts
    - Dealer tells me that my BDS extended rear shocks wont work on the truck after they take out the 6" Lift, they want $400 to order me new rear shocks to replace the rear BDS shocks. I said no and ordered a set of Bilstein 5100s for the rear off of Amazon, and told them to leave the BDS Shocks and lift blocks in the rear because I would swap the shocks out myself when I got the truck back.
    - Fast forward to Thursday, I leave work early to go pick the truck up. I get the truck and it has a crazy high lift in the rear cause they left the rear blocks and shocks in like I asked.
    - I drive the truck off the lot and immediately notice how horrid the handling and alignment is. The steering wheel has no resistance in it at all and almost felt broken. When I turn to either direct the wheel keeps rolling and flops into 'lock' position with a big thud sound coming from under the truck.
    - I almost get in 2-3 accidents on the way home because my brakes barely work at all, I have maybe 20% of my normal braking power. I proceeded to drive 20km/h with my hazard lights on all the way home.
    - Friday morning I take off work and spend the morning removing the rear shocks and rear lift blocks off the truck, hoping it would solve the poor handling and braking power issues.
    - I take it for a test drive and still no improvement. I called the dealer and booked an appointment to bring it back the next day. I scheduled a tow truck to come to my house in the morning so I didnt have to drive the truck with no brakes.
    - Saturday morning, Tow truck comes and asks me to back up onto the tow truck platform. I turn the key and the engine just clicks, now truck wont start...
    - Tow truck winches me onto bed and takes me to the dealer. They tell me they dont have time to work on it today and give me a rental for the weekend.
    - Monday morning, I get a call and am told they dont know whats wrong with the brakes but will keep looking. I am told that I was missing the front diff mount bushings and as a result my diff was flopping/bouncing around every time I turned. They told me $380 to order the parts. They also tell me that my starter is blown and want $600 to replace it.
    - I go through the box of old parts they gave back to me that came off my truck. And low and behold, they gave me back the damn front diff bushings and never installed them. I drop them off and they put them back in for me at no cost.
    - Tuesday night I return to pick up the truck. Brakes are fixed, new alignment, bushings reinstalled. Truck seems to be driving normally again. My friend who works at the dealer told me there is a brake proportioning valve or something on the master cylinder that was all screwed up and had to be reset.

Ive had the truck for about 1-2weeks now and havent had an issues since. Brand new frame on it and it rides really nice. Dont think ill be putting the drop-bracket lift back on in the near future..

IMG_1690.jpg
    26829652_10215189681606179_1613794894_o (1).jpg
    26829965_10215202368163335_750882552_o.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg

Atlas86 likes this.
  20. Jan 23, 2018 at 12:50 PM
    Atlas86

Atlas86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB
    Nice, glad it worked out in the end. How long have you had your truck? Have you rust proofed in the past?

Products Discussed in

To Top