1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home Defense: 9mm Semi-auto or 7.62x39mm AK-47?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 28ØØ3, Dec 9, 2010.

?

Which one for home defense?

1. 9mm Semi-auto pistol

78.5%
  2. 7.62x39mm AK-47 rifle

21.5%
  1. Feb 21, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    Haha, a little difficult for a fast situation or multiple shots, but god damn I think I'd rather be shot with a rifle than a rage. They go straight through deer at 30 yards, can't imagine a person at 5. Would certainly be messy...

2. Feb 21, 2014 at 6:18 PM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, 255/85/16 KM2
    No, you used some lingo from that board, thought you were one.

3. Feb 21, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    SWFL Taco

SWFL Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cape Coral Fl
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma DC 4x4 trd sport
    Oh lol,no I was a resident OT member of another vehicle forum but have no need to bring that over to this site. Much more laid back than the SRT forums I must say,which is a nice change.

4. Feb 21, 2014 at 6:37 PM
    SWFL Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cape Coral Fl
    Vehicle:
    That's for sure,but as long as you have the drop on them that's one hell of a surprise for him. And I have had some practice with drawing another arrow in a small amount of time due to hog hunting and their thick hide. And unlike a bullet with a small entry and large exit that rage could do more damage than a bullet I would think,with a cutting area of 2" in diameter you are bound to hit something vital.

5. Feb 21, 2014 at 8:54 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
  6. Feb 21, 2014 at 9:31 PM
    TheGrayRider

TheGrayRider MARANATHA !!!

Member:
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBP DC 4X4 OR
    If you haven't trained with the weapon(s) you will be defending your life or your family with you stand a good chance of making your situation worse

Any firearm will do in an emergency but shooting a firearm in your own home or in your vehicle is a situation that needs to be trained for... if you have a particular weapon that you might use for home or self defense, you need to train with that weapon

Proper training for the situation... Training with a firearm, knife, can of wasp spray, etc

If you live alone you can hunker down

If you have kids upstairs or in bedrooms on the other side of your house ... Now you have a great reason to use offensive tactics

These are some of the things that should be thought about, and planned for, if you are going to be defensive or offensive

What would your kids do if the front door gets kicked in and the alarm siren is going off ? Hunker down or run through the house screaming ?
    What would your wife do ?

Situational awareness is important

Shooting at paper targets at the range is not proper training

7. Feb 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM
    jro1

jro1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jesse
    Red Deer AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD sport
    Driver
    "Shooting at paper targets at the range is not proper training"

I agree, but it's a start for the average Joe who needs to familiarize himself with his weapon! also Tactical pistol is an expensive weekend at the range for most people, that course usually runs for $450 weekend, several hundred rounds of ammo, now your asking the average family man to cough up a mortgage payment to learn to shoot pistol, I can speak for that, So hitting the range a couple of times a month helps build my confidence in how I operate my pistols and where i place my shots!

8. Feb 22, 2014 at 9:32 AM
    z242pilot

z242pilot Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NWT
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD offroad
    Cap
  9. Feb 22, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    tstanfield12

tstanfield12 Active Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Icon Ext. Travel Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, Icon 2.0 Rear Shocks, Wheelers 3 leaf AAL HD, Pro Comp 5001 16", Toyo Open Country ATII 265/75/16, N-Fab Steps
    It depends on the person...how much training do you have, how many classes have you been to and how many shoot houses have you went through? Most people won't spend their money on stuff like that.

Also it's pretty well known rifle rounds beat pistol rounds and I'd take higher capacity and faster follow up shots over low capacity slow shooting shotguns

10. Feb 22, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    TheGrayRider

TheGrayRider MARANATHA !!!

Member:
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBP DC 4X4 OR
    All I'm saying is know your limitations

Shooting at paper targets is not how you get comfortable with a weapon

Handling the unloaded weapon

Aiming the unloaded weapon and go thru scenarios

Shooting houses are great and I dig that kind of competition but that's not your house

You have to train for what your situation could be

It's a serious situation to have a pistol in your face or shots going by your head

Most think they know what they will do but most have never really thought seriously about the actual situation. The bad guy may shoot first or shoot back

Paper targets don't shoot back

It's not a video game - no reset button

11. Feb 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM
    SWFL Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cape Coral Fl
    Vehicle:
    I have only done drills in my own home because that's what I will be defending if the situation arises. And lots of range time with different ammunition,as far as higher capacity do you plan on a small army breaking into your house? I just don't see spraying 30 rounds in my home when my G23 holds 13, if I can't hit him or them with 13 rounds well then I guess I lost that fight before it even started. Plus with my house there are too many places for somone to be waiting for that rifle barrel to stick out for their taking.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  12. Feb 22, 2014 at 10:58 AM
    SWFL Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cape Coral Fl
    Vehicle:
    This ^ X100
    We can all say what we would do,at least I know I have,but when the shit hits the fan that's the game changer no matter who you are or what you do for a living. I know if an intruder were to come in through the front door and I confront him the closest room to him would be my daughters room,now with that said we just went from a home invasion to a possible hostage situation,no training can be done for that especially if he's holding a weapon,I will be at his mercy.

13. Feb 22, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    jro1

jro1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jesse
    Red Deer AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD sport
    Driver
    I'm down for whatever training I can afford, be it at the range or save up and take a tactical pistol course, many times in the past a 75 yr old grandma has put holes in the guy breaking into the house!

14. Feb 22, 2014 at 11:15 AM
    SWFL Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cape Coral Fl
    Vehicle:
    And using a shotgun at that,I doubt granny has a sbr AR15 next to the bed lol. But if she does she means business.

15. Feb 22, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    tstanfield12

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Icon Ext. Travel Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, Icon 2.0 Rear Shocks, Wheelers 3 leaf AAL HD, Pro Comp 5001 16", Toyo Open Country ATII 265/75/16, N-Fab Steps
    I don't plan on anybody breaking into my house but I try and plan for worst case scenario not the best case.

Also training with professional shooters teaches you the technique on how Togo through a house and it's up to you to apply that you your own home. Also if someone can grab your rifle barrel without getting shot you're doing somethin wrong.

It's a mindset really. I don't care if 30 guys break into my house I'm not just going to lay down and die, I'm going to do what I can and hopefully come out alive.

16. Feb 22, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    tstanfield12

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Off Road DCSB
    True but the discussion was about what's best.

A pointy stick will work if I can sneak up and jab it through the bad guys eye.

Of course a rifle, pistol or shotgun will work better and just having a plan is better than what most people have.

17. Feb 22, 2014 at 3:04 PM
    SWFL Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cape Coral Fl
    Vehicle:
    I agree with training,I will eventually start with some advance classes and get the wife to take the basic class. Because she works nights at a hospital in a sketchy part of town. The only time I will break out the sks is if both kids are in our room and we are hunkered down.

Products Discussed in

To Top