1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home Defense: 9mm Semi-auto or 7.62x39mm AK-47?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 28ØØ3, Dec 9, 2010.

?

Which one for home defense?

1. 9mm Semi-auto pistol

78.5%
  2. 7.62x39mm AK-47 rifle

21.5%
  1. Dec 9, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    From what I have read from the OP in the past, He seems capable with weapons. Regardless, if given the 2 options as he did, and to make an accurate choice, one does have to ask about which weapon the OP is most comfortable weilding.

2. Dec 9, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    I like the word wield. It makes me think of braveheart.

3. Dec 9, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    j83soldier

j83soldier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    anti lock brake disable mod, fogtime anytime mod, Leer Topper, all pro plate bumper, toytec 3 inch lift, bfg AT, rims, piaa 5100's, some double din head unit (cant remember), warn 8000 winch, DO sliders, hacked frame to fit full size spare, thule and yakima roof racks
    Oh ok, Huntsville, sadly is as good as bama gets. I miss the fishing and hunting but love co. Also to stay on topic Alabama is a Life of Property state with a make my day law meaning if someone is threating your property in OR out of you house it is leagal to engage. It gets gray if they are outside though. I shot a guy with what I thought was bird shot (oops had a slug loaded) who was breaking in my car and was good to go. He also had crack in his pocket and boke into 13 other cars that night. But this is a real topic.

4. Dec 9, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    LMAO!!

I persoanlly feel very comfortable clearing my house with my 9mm or .45, and leaving my Wife with the AR. We have trained on what to do "if" someone were to break in, and have a "code word/knock". Though she cant make little 1" ragged holes at 100 yards with the AR, she is quite comfortable with operating it in complete darkness, as I found out one night when I came home very early in the AM, while she wasnt expecting me for another 8 hours.

5. Dec 9, 2010 at 3:06 PM
    j83soldier

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    anti lock brake disable mod, fogtime anytime mod, Leer Topper, all pro plate bumper, toytec 3 inch lift, bfg AT, rims, piaa 5100's, some double din head unit (cant remember), warn 8000 winch, DO sliders, hacked frame to fit full size spare, thule and yakima roof racks
    true but weapons are like tools. Just cause your most comfortable with visegrips doesnt mean you will put a whole lift on with just them. Instead you will read, pratice and learn how to use more tools. No diffrent here. I feel like I am overanilyzing what the OP's post was about though

6. Dec 9, 2010 at 3:17 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    This and the quote re the 'wide pattern' of a shotgun are ridiculous.
    a fistfull of #6 is a hell of a way to unmotivate somebody....unless they're drugged up, then it doesn't matter what you hit them with.....it's on until they bleed out or you disable the cns.
    Pattern your badass shotty at 10 feet and report back to me how wide and awesome it is.
    Jeez people.

In re OP, a 9mm handgun with proper ammo and somebody behind it that knows what they're doing will be at the advantage over an AK...too easy to disarm someone with a longgun in close qtrs.

7. Dec 9, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    28ØØ3

28ØØ3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    boss
    somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend B
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB SR5 4WD
    VatoZone Especial
    -very comfortable with a pistol (own an XD9, have a CCW permit) and put several hundred rounds through it regularly; wife: i think the only gun she's ever shot, seems comfortable with it, wouldn't bet my life on depending on her shooting someone
    -shot a shotgun several times shooting trap (clays), but it was a buddy's semiauto beretta, not too comfortable with it and 'feels' superlong; wife: shot a shotgun 3 times
    -not too experienced with a rifle, but plan to train heavily with whatever i get (have some range time on a 30-06). i am currently building an AR, and plan to take a tactical training course after i put some range time in; wife: probably never shot a rifle

8. Dec 9, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Who said anything about wide patterns?

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

Last page specifically references an ER case where somebody was shot with #6 straight to the chest. He was walking around, bleeding like hell, but he wasn't stopped.

I'll take 00 buck, which is proven to kill people AND deer, and put somebody on their ass. You go ahead with flesh wounds; that's your choice, man. :rolleyes:

9. Dec 9, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    j83soldier

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    yea man I swear by shotguns for CC but I am talking about a tactical shotgun, Trap and Skeet guns are LOOOONG so unless you want to buy a 550 shorty (300 bucks) Id stick with the pistol. However I hate 9mm, just outta personal experiance. I do not want to shoot something twice.

10. Dec 9, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
  11. Dec 9, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    Trever1t

Trever1t Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA.
    Vehicle:
    '06 Basic Tacoma
    It's true that any round capable of taking down a large body would easily penetrate sheetrock walls but using a high-velocity round is pointless and more likely imo to go stray.

If your only weapon was a 9mm you could buy frangible ammo but the question wasn't asked like that.

There's nothing that offers the versatilty of a 12g. Can that be agreed? I love the 45ACP, it's my favorite round. Heavy and slow, like me :D

12. Dec 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    fratermus

fratermus Active Member

Member:
    Shotgun. I do have 9mm and 7.62x39 in the house but the Mossberg goes with me when things go bump in the night.

13. Dec 9, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    thinkingman

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Am I the only one who says it's easier to disarm someone that's holding a long gun than a handgun?

14. Dec 9, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    I'll Agree with that. ^^^^^

15. Dec 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    j83soldier

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    Yes it is agreed but a mossburg 550 tactical shotgun or shorty are cheap and have a 16-20 inch barrel couple that with a pistol grip or collaspable stock throw a sling on or put it under your arm. the issue in a situation is not the lengh of the weapon it is how long it extends past you body. A pistol aimed right extends the full lengh of your arm with the barrel extending 2-6 inches past your hand, nothing really to grab but if an intruder in within chinch distance can easily swayed left or right. A shorty or tactical shotgun is not much diffrent. the barrel will only extend 6-8 inches past your foward hand. Yes enough to grab but you also have the weapon by two hands. The issue of lengh only comes into play when clearing corners or swinging the weapon and a 7 inch extension is not horrible. My 550 extend 5 inches past my hand, thus the extension of a my shotgun sholdered over my xd-40 drawn and aimed is small and I have more control over the shotgun if someone got their hands on it. Plus you can butt stroke with a shotgun or baseball bat someones face in with it if need be

16. Dec 9, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    thinkingman

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    That same distance between your hands on the shotty also serves as leverage for the bg that wants to take it from you.

17. Dec 9, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    OUG13

OUG13 Active on 3 Forums, with nothing in common.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2009, Reguler Cab 4 X 4
    H&K USP .40 S.&W.
    As others said AK47 way to much

18. Dec 9, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    j83soldier

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    no it doesnt, sholder a long gun measure how far out your arms are. Draw a pistol measure how far your arms are. You have two hands firmy on the shotgun. It is easier to deflect a pistol and close the distance. Now in a fight there are 3 distances. Projectile (throwing shootin ect) striking (punches ect) and clinch (hug). Once you give up projectile distance you are fucked. The avearge person with ANY gun can have that weapon nutuerlize by another person at 20 feet before he can effectivly draw aim and shoot. Guns are not cure alls but in close quarters I want a shotty. It is NO EASIER to take away than a pistol and you can melee with it if an intruder moves into striking distance.

19. Dec 9, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    Hogzilla

Hogzilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner sr5
    Go with a shotgun. An remington 870, mossberg 500 whatever you want. A shotgun is a much better home defense weapon than any pistol or rifle. But one of these would be a pretty badass defense rifle... [​IMG]

20. Dec 9, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    AKM would be my choice over a pistol or shotgun. As others have mentioned, any round capable of reliably stopping a man will penetrate drywall. On the other hand, the intruder may be wearing a heavy jacket, on drugs, etc., so a rifle cartridge that can stop him within the confines of your home (before he can close the distance) is crucial. If SHTF the AK can be used as an impact weapon, especially with the slant muzzle brake.

From this page: http://www.warriortalknews.com/2010/08/a-study-of-fighting-in-your-house.html
    There are multiple scenarios for a home invasion, for example:
    1. You wake up to the sound of glass breaking downstairs, so you get out of bed and take your gun to investigate. This is the ideal scenario and you can avoid confrontation by barricading yourself in your bedroom and calling 911.
    2. The intruder climbs through a bedroom window and you are awakened by the sound of your kids screaming...

For scenario #2 a shotgun would not be precise enough because the intruder could be mingled with family.

Products Discussed in

To Top