1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home Defense: 9mm Semi-auto or 7.62x39mm AK-47?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 28ØØ3, Dec 9, 2010.

?

Which one for home defense?

1. 9mm Semi-auto pistol

78.5%
  2. 7.62x39mm AK-47 rifle

21.5%
  1. Dec 13, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    A pistol is your best choice for home protection, long guns not the best choice for wielding inside your home & allot easier for a perp to get ahold of.

2. Dec 13, 2010 at 9:08 PM
    762x51taco

762x51taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    As stated get what you can comfortably shoot and load it with a round that has at least 12" of penetration. Any hardball whether it is 9mm or 45 is a poor defensive round and should not be used. Handguns suck at stopping attackers as it is, no need to handicap them even more. Personally I would have no problem using my AR, or my 9 to defend my home.

If you choose a shotgun please dont use birdshot, as it is a extremely bad man stopper. As for the Judge as a defensive weapon, there are defiantly way better.

3. Dec 13, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    Yuma Taco

Yuma Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Yuma, Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC TRD
    35% tint windows, OEM black running boards, OEM black roof rack, Foglight mod, De-badged & Sockmonkey Horns decals added, Two ammo box storage units (removed), 110 volt & 12 volt outlets for back seat area, EGR Slimline inchannel visors (all windows), Fold-A-Cover G4, Tonneau, Bedmat.
    I voted 9mm.
    I don't own a AK........

4. Dec 13, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    All these talks of going through walls and shooting neighbors...

1. The primary purpose of the gun is to kill the BG before he (or she!) kills you. It's a life-and-death struggle where the BG may be armed with anything from a knife, crowbar or another gun. Compromising on the gun or ammo for fear of penetrating a wall when your life is in immediate danger is poor judgement.
    2. There are various hollowpoint and softpoint 7.62x39mm ammo available. For example...
    The military is stuck with FMJ bullets due to the Hague Convention. Civilians can use all kinds of expanding bullets to maximize shock.
    3. Remember burglars often don't work alone. Plan your magazine capacity accordingly. If it takes four rounds of 9mm to shoot a BG to the ground, two BGs would need at least 8 rounds.

5. Dec 18, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    krudawg

krudawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Goodyear, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner V6 SR5
    9mm won't penetrate too many walls and therefore is safer to use in a residential home. Like a lawyer told me once; after shooting the guy who is trying to harm you or your family, fire two shots into the ceiling of your home. That way, you can explain in court that you fired two warning shots and he kept coming after you so you put one in the center of his chest and turned his lights off

6. Dec 19, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    yeah/\ that wouldnt be a good thing to do...because if you didnt feel threatened enough to use force you would not be justified in trying to scare someone

7. Dec 19, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    x2

warning shots are a terrible idea

8. Dec 19, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Shotguns are the answer.

9. Dec 19, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    Highlander60

Highlander60 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '10 Silver TRD
    I set up my house like the kid in the movie on Home Alone, :). Seriously though, it seems the trend is towards home invasions, so you better hope you get the drop on the guy (s). Never give away your position, always shoot center of mass, get out safely with your family and call 911 from somewhere safe.

10. Dec 19, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    My vote is whatever you feel comfortable with using and is in hand. Your legal responsibility and accountability starts and ends with you and your actions and nothing any of us say will have any bearing on the end result.

The logic that I was trained to use in that type of situation was simple, you are entering into a gun battle without knowledge how many opponents you face and how well they are armed or how determined they are. With that in mind the first rule is to never offer your opponent an advantage over you which is exactly what charging a pump action shotgun, shouting out a warning, firing a warning shot, or using less than lethal munitions does. The second is to determine your own mindset. Do you plan to survive the encounter or have yourself added to the list of victims that were tortured, raped, or killed by intruders who came into their home? The third rule is to make certain that you completely understand the legal repercussions of defending yourself in your own home. I believe Tigerfan subtly added that warning shots are a bad idea but he didn't tell you why. In many states firing the warning shots prior to firing at your attacker may turn your cut and dry act of self defense into the slippery slope of an indictable homicide case to be made against you.

To those that bring patterns into the argument I'd suggest measuring the distance from the defensive side of the bed to the entry points of the room and then safely replicating them at your firing range to test your pattern theories to solidify them or offer you time to sort out a different solution. Myself, I use #2 buck and my shotgun from under the bed is a Mossberg 590 like others who have posted before me. While you are at the range I'd suggest you also tinker with your angle of attack to help wrap your head around firing positions that would lessen the possibility of harming family members who may be beyond your line of fire.

I mention the defensive side of the bed as that is the place that I will be staying as I have been trained not to try to take the fight into an unknown enemy while I am still waking up and the mix of adrenalin with the fog of just waking make for a dangerous concoction.

I usually stay far away from these types of conversations because I have a much different outlook on the situation than others. You see, I have in my possession a set of keys to a house that I sold that I killed two intruders in while I lived in Texas. So with that said people can post all sorts of smug empty headed nonsense onto the internet but I'll close with this. When in doubt about the safety of your loved ones and yourself, remove all doubt. Looking back, my only regret is that those two chose to attempt to victimize me and my family.

Regardless of your choice, I hope you find the ideal solution for home defense. Myself, I'm hoping to be able to find some rural property that I can use a GAU19 for home defense.

11. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    krudawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Goodyear, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner V6 SR5
    You shoot first and THEN put two rounds in the ceiling

12. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Why fuck up your ceiling?

13. Dec 20, 2010 at 12:55 AM
    TxPreRunner

TxPreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Rockwall, Tx
    Vehicle:
    Factory (for now) Silver, 04 PreRunner, 2.7L
    Absolutely nothing..for now..
    ^ yes.

Spend $150 and buy a shotgun.

I keep mine staggerd with Texas Heavy Dove loads (Yes birdshot, with a lot of powder behind it.) and No. 4 buckshot.

If you don't think birdshot is a poor man-killer, would you want to be shot with it? Heavy loads will be hurdling a lead wall at you. That, and Texas law doesn't say you have to stop shooting.

14. Dec 20, 2010 at 5:24 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    yeah...i got that...its still a terrible idea

either you have justification for deadly force or you dont

if you dont then the gun needs to be put away

if you do...unless you have a LOT of training/exp in high stress situations...youre more than likely NOT going to have anything left in the mag to shoot into the ceiling

Firing 2 warning shots will NOT help you in court regardless of what your "lawyer friend" told you

Chris4x4 has the best idea that I dont believe has been brought up

If you are ever in a situation where you feel justified in shooting someone, piss your pants before the cops show up...nothing says scared for your life like pissing yourself...

I personally hope and pray to God I NEVER have to shoot someone and I hope none of the rest of you do either

15. Dec 20, 2010 at 6:33 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,

X2. To add:
    Regardless of the weapon chosen, only with practice is it going to work reliably for you. In a situation in which you are found to have to use said weapon, YOU WILL BE SCARED. You will be shaking. Only focus on center mass. Too many instances in which fire arms were used, in well lit places, at close range (10 feet or so), only to have 0 hits. I stand by my suggestion, if your not propperly trained, to hunker down in a safe spot, and call 911 while keeping the gun to protect your imediate/familly area. Having a weapon doesnt make you capable, only training does. Repeted training. Fireing a couple hundred rounds at paper every year isnt enough. If money allows, there should be gun training facilities nearby that can help train in SHoot/No shoot scenareos. WELL worth the cash. Another thing that can aid, go to an open range, and have someone randomly bang a pot/pan behind you while you are trying to shoot a target under 5 seconds. 5 seconds may sound like a short amount of time, but its actually too long of a time. If required to use your weapon, the decision is going to need to be made in less than 1 second. And in that time, your going to know if it is going to be fired. Bad guys dont call ahead, and many times, the only warning you get, is the door (or other entry point) being kicked in. The decision to use a firearm is going to have to be second nature.

16. Dec 20, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    krudawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Goodyear, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner V6 SR5
    Because, if for some reason the intruder survives his wounds, his lawyer will claim in court that he was delivering a pizza or thought he was in his own home.

17. Dec 20, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Still no reason to shoot the ceiling.

18. Dec 20, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    tanzak88

tanzak88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is what I would have, if I could, and if I needed it. These things are badass.

19. Dec 21, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    the only reason for holes in the ceiling...is if spiderman is burglarizing your home

20. Dec 21, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    rwcfrank

rwcfrank Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner
    The one thing most people overlook is the tactics involved with home protection. You can wait in the corner with your weapon or seek out the intruder and mitigate the threat. Be prepared to legally defend your actions in court later during the lawsuit. A long gun, unless it's a short M4 or similar and you are trained in the proper room clearing techniques is not the best choice for room clearing. A handgun is a better choice than a shotgun or rifle (long version) in close combat and room clearing.

Products Discussed in

To Top