1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home Improvement Today?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by lsocoee, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Aug 19, 2013 at 8:42 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Put my first coat of poly on tonight. Probably gonna do about three more.

[​IMG]

2. Aug 20, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    Jholden

Jholden Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just did the same thing on 24ft of bench in my shop. I did 7 coats and wet sanded and buffed the last.

Turned out great!

3. Aug 21, 2013 at 4:24 AM
    hendooman

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Wow, that is a lot of coats. I was thinking 4 coats. We're you coating oak as well? Pic if you have one...

4. Aug 21, 2013 at 6:06 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Im also in the process of building a work bench with a oak ply top. Ill post up some pictures later, its going to have casters on the feet and double as a beer pong table. I stained it english chestnut, ganna do a couple coats of polly then i might spray it with rustoleum never wet.

5. Aug 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    I have a question for you all? I need ideas on how to keep the locals out of the pool? the local have been , Bats, mice, frogs, beaver( no shit) snakes. Tried sprays and pellets. any other ideas?

015.jpg
    018.jpg
    027.jpg
    028.jpg
    DSC08569.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  6. Aug 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Heres my workbench so far, still need to poly, paint, and add the casters on the feet. Everything you see that isn't stained will be painted a antique white. Its a little bulky looking, i framed everything first then trimmed it, should be nice and strong.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377134444.799144.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377134456.141215.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377134469.571086.jpg

7. Aug 22, 2013 at 7:08 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma Limited
    Deck Plate, '17 rims, 2" spacers, Tundra Brake Upgrade, 3" Coilover/shackle lift, 01-04 Center Console, Ultragauge, LED interior lights, HO alternator...
    I don't know about the snakes or frogs, but I have a motion sensor sprinkler head that scares away almost everything else.... birds, deer, cats, etc. Not sure if it will help you but it did for me.

It sprays water and makers that loud noise every time it goes off.

8. Aug 22, 2013 at 7:18 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Getting Ready for Summer

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Is there a fence around the pool area to keep out the larger rodents? All the other critters you just need to deal with on a daily basis. Check the pool in the AM and scoop out all the dead animals. There is not much else you can do. PS Check the skimmer in the AM as well. Lots of the dead ones wind up in the skimmer basket.

On another note I have to seal the driveway this weekend. I have filled in all the cracks and cleaned the driveway. Just need to blow it off before I seal it. Going to use the best sealer Lowes has and do 2 coats. Hope it lasts 3 to 4 years. My driveway is on an incline so water flows down the driveway causing the sealant to wear down quicker than a level driveway.

9. Aug 22, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    The "Big Nig"
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    That's cool. I really like that idea... Might have to do the same thing. Can you give some details on materials used?

10. Aug 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Thanks. The thing i like about it that is different will be the removable casters. The legs are hollow, im going to mount the casters on small pieces of 2x6 which will have a 4x4 "peg" that slides inside the hollow leg. Lift the table up and the casters fall out. The idea came from wanting it to be a beer pong table and workbench. Beer pong table should be 27"-30" tall, which IMO is to low for a workbench. My table is at 30", and with the casters it will be 36 1/2".
    I can give you a a full material list, even detailed plans if you want them, but heres the basics.

2x4 framed platforms for upper and lower plywood
    2x6 legs
    1 sheet oak plywood (27" rip for top, 21" rip for storage platform)
    1x6 oak for trimming table top
    1x8 and 1x6 primed FJ pine for triming legs and lower half of table
    ZAR wood filler in red oak (makes your seems disappear :D)
    English chestnut minwax stain
    Helmsman clear satin poly
    Rustoleum neverwet TBD, gatta see how it effects the color/shine of the poly

11. Aug 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    The "Big Nig"

wow thats some serious details. thanks a lot! looking forward to seeing how you do the casters... I have an idea of what you are saying, but pictures will be really helpful with that step.
    :thumbsup:

12. Aug 23, 2013 at 5:48 AM
    hendooman

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Great job on that bench. It looks great. Looks like a dining room table instead of a work bench!

13. Aug 23, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    The "Big Nig"
    Right? I'd be pissed if I scratched it lol

14. Aug 27, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    nice! i'm in the process of building a workbench as well, the more i got into building the frame the more i realized (duh) weight/heft is "good" because you want it to stay put when working on it! :D ...not going to be as long as yours though... what does she weigh in at?

15. Aug 28, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    My guess is 125 lbs, maybe a little more, its pretty heavy. 97.5" long and 28.5" wide. It made a awesome beer pong table last weekend, still gatta do the casters on the legs. And like you guys said now that its done i don't want to abuse it to much lol, so it might be a light duty work bench. Or ill just throw a piece of plywood on top when i work on my grill projects and stuff :facepalm:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377736855.985823.jpg

16. Aug 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD sport DC
    Tailgate Anti-Theft Weathertechs Wet Okoles TW Sticker! Pop N Lock Handle TonnoPro Tri-folding cover
    Don't ya just hate that...build yourself something nice and now you don't want to use it for the fear of messing it up...lol

looks good!

17. Sep 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM
    Mr. Brown

Mr. Brown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    White Double Cab Off Road
    Suspensiopn: Donahoe coil overs, Donahoe rear reservoir shocks, Light Racing UCA's, Wheelers AAL's, Exterior: Powder-coated black billet grill, Hella Black Magic fog lights, color matched rear bumper, color matched side mirrors, undercover tonneau cover, Interior: Alpine W203 w/ Blackbird II, Weathertech Floor-liners, blue gauge light mod, Performance: AFE Stage II Intake, Banks exhaust, single cat y-pipe, Dynomat hood-liner, NST Performance pulleys, URD MAF calibrator
    Well, I've been working non stop on my condo remodel. Here is some of the most recent work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Walls and ceilings have been scraped, textured, and painted; the old floor is out, slab is level, and new floor is in;lights are all in; cabinets have been reworked to include the microwave, and have the first coast of paint on.

I'm concentrating on the kitchen right now. I am going to patch some of the spots on the interior cabinet wall that stick out now that there is gloss paint on. Then it's on to painting and mounting the cabinet doors, and probably a hundred other things before it's completely finished. Ha

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  18. Sep 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM
    Mr. Brown

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Suspensiopn: Donahoe coil overs, Donahoe rear reservoir shocks, Light Racing UCA's, Wheelers AAL's, Exterior: Powder-coated black billet grill, Hella Black Magic fog lights, color matched rear bumper, color matched side mirrors, undercover tonneau cover, Interior: Alpine W203 w/ Blackbird II, Weathertech Floor-liners, blue gauge light mod, Performance: AFE Stage II Intake, Banks exhaust, single cat y-pipe, Dynomat hood-liner, NST Performance pulleys, URD MAF calibrator
    Oh, so you guys don't have to go back 20 pages: this is how it looked when I bough it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Sep 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    PnoyBOS5

PnoyBOS5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 PRERUNNER
    Maxtrac 4'' Spindes -Bilsteins 5100 @ 1.75" - All Pro Expo Leaf Pack - Extended Rear Shocks - PC 5001 wheels - 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs - Debadged -Red emblem - AFE Pro Dry-S Filter
    Mr. Brown that's some hard work but I bet it was fun.

Going to start browsing this thread.. Purchasing a house.. Waiting on the call for the amount I'm approved on! :D

20. Sep 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    Mr. Brown

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Awsome man congrats! There is a website called houzz.com that helped me out a lot with paint colors and design stuff. Check it out, you might like it.

To Top