1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home Improvement Today?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by lsocoee, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Sep 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T All of those moments....will be lost.....in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Not necessarily quarter sawn , but the logs are cut to have the vertical grain rather than the flat grain presented across the width of the board

Pm me anytime

2. Sep 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TRD-OR - Traded In on a Ridgeline
    Finally, got my "first 4x4" in a Tacoma. Barcelona Red w/ JBL & Entune - Then traded it in on a Ridgeline.
    .... ^^^ ... Love this setup (windows & trim & colors) .... would like to copy it exactly if I had a place t do it.

3. Sep 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Yes

4. Sep 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TRD-OR - Traded In on a Ridgeline
    Finally, got my "first 4x4" in a Tacoma. Barcelona Red w/ JBL & Entune - Then traded it in on a Ridgeline.
    WOW ... very impressed ... :D You only see that kind of quality here in $3 mill and up houses and maybe not even then.

You remind me of my buddy, John (he was like a brother) who was helping me on my 15 year house project here. He could do everything well. He fell off a ladder 2 years ago on another job (2 weeks before his 50th birthday) on a hot summer day, hit his head on an outdoor A/C unit and died on the spot. Very sad day it was.

Since then I have had to do everything myself with the help of my mexican helper buddy that I have trained from a superb painter to a carpenter and trim man. It takes us 3 times as long and the quality is not 100% of what John did, but we try.

As I have gotten older, my hands are not as good as they used to be ... but I have to finish this job in the next 12 months to move on when my wife retires.

Its a shame you don't live closer as I have a lot of super quality tools (all types) that I need to dispose of when I am finished here.

You do excellent work (craftsman quality) my friend ... :D

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  5. Sep 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Thanks

Sorry to hear about your friend

6. Sep 7, 2013 at 4:47 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD sport DC
    Tailgate Anti-Theft Weathertechs Wet Okoles TW Sticker! Pop N Lock Handle TonnoPro Tri-folding cover
    I think OZ needs a build thread consisting of his carpentry work :D

7. Sep 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate the kind words but keep in mind I've been paid to practice this stuff for the last 25 years , I'm more impressed by the great results shown in this thread from guys taking these projects on during weekends

:thumbsup:

8. Sep 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Lamination 2 of 7 clamped up

[​IMG]

9. Sep 7, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    4lo

4lo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    Cap, racks, Ironman lift up front with AAL in back
    Blown away man! That's all we do here in Austin(window crap,3rd generation carpenter), your work is exceptional. The average fellow has no idea what goes into that type of finish. Kudos.

10. Sep 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD sport DC
    Tailgate Anti-Theft Weathertechs Wet Okoles TW Sticker! Pop N Lock Handle TonnoPro Tri-folding cover
    So, we want to have our outside front lights to come on whenever the sun goes down. Currently all 3 are wired to one switch by the front door. Is there a way to do this? Anyone have suggestions for a sensor of sorts?

11. Sep 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB Sport Prerunner
    Grom iPod/Bluetooth adapter, mud flaps removed, clear turn signal bulbs, TSB leafs, two extra D-rings, debadged, fog light anytime, OEM bed mat, Undercover classic, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Fumoto valve
  12. Sep 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM
    4lo

4lo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    Cap, racks, Ironman lift up front with AAL in back
    Try this. Cheap and easy.
    http://www.amazon.com/Woods-59405-Outdoor-Screw-In-Automatic/dp/B003Z4IDXE

13. Sep 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    how does that plywood clamp system work? I've never seen that before.

14. Sep 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Getting Ready for Summer

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    I used this photocell to control my low voltage transformer.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_6311-30209-...&currentURL=?Ntt=utilitec+photocell&facetInfo=

15. Sep 8, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    It's really pretty basic , it's just some 3/4" plywood strips , in this case 2" wide x 4 " long , with a 3" screw through the middle , when you tighten the screw it pulls the plywood in , compressing whatever is between it and the wall .

The material to be clamped is on the top side of the screw , and below the screw I insert a block that is the thickness of the material I am clamping so that the clamping force is straight in the direction of the screw .

The fender washers on each clamp block are there so the screw head will not suck into the plywood so I can re-use the blocks multiple times

This system is also how I clamp the pieces when I attach them with the biscuit joiner to the window liners

In this particular application there are also some plywood L's holding the trims being laminated at the correct height to pull against the curved window liner

There is also a strip of wax paper between the lamination and the liners and L's to keep it from all bonding together

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  16. Sep 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    xJuice

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB Sport Prerunner
    Grom iPod/Bluetooth adapter, mud flaps removed, clear turn signal bulbs, TSB leafs, two extra D-rings, debadged, fog light anytime, OEM bed mat, Undercover classic, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Fumoto valve
    So there's 36 holes in the wall that will need patching?

17. Sep 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Nope , the apron trim goes over the holes

The bottom trim elements are 1" tall , applied stool , 3 3/16" apron , 7/16" " hat "

The total build up is almost 5" , lots of coverage for the screw holes

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  18. Sep 9, 2013 at 5:14 AM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    Casper the friendly Taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver
    Tore out a window and door on Saturday. Replaced pretty much the whole wall and put the new window in. I sent pics to live but can't get em here on my phone. Whole project turned out pretty decent. Now I have to finish the siding on that wall and start to drywall the inside

19. Sep 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    The line represents the bottom of my trim build up once complete , covers any damage

[​IMG]

20. Sep 9, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    xJuice

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB Sport Prerunner
    Excellent. From the earlier pictures, it looked to me as if the holes for the L brackets were going to land too low. :cool:

To Top