1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home Improvement Today?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Hotdog, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Sep 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The custom fence was to allow me to use it on a door jamb , the 1 3/4" recess in the jamb for the door is smaller than the depth of the table on my biscuit joiner , so the shallow table I made is to fit into the door jamb

Where I went wrong is that I adjusted the depth while I was making my custom fence and forgot to set it back before moving on to my curved windows , making the biscuit notches really shallow , haha

I almost fucked that up royally

2. Sep 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Took a couple pics this morning

I got the 4 curved elements that get biscuited to the window liners fitted , biscuited and installed

In the first pic you can see the biscuit slots cut in the liners for the upper " hat " of the mid trim element

[​IMG]

I was concerned that the upper and lower hats of this mid trim needed to be accurately parallel so that I would not have to try to fit the board in between them .

The biscuit joiner essentially sets the margin between the hat and the liner , I prefer a 3/16" margin , however the biscuits do allow a slight flex up or down .

My liners were out of parallel by just over 1/16" from one end of the window set to the other end , not much but it would require fitting the mid board .

What I came up with was I cut my L shaped supports exactly the size that the middle board would be if I split the difference of the variance out of parallel , I then registered them down tight against the lower hat I had installed the previous day that was already dried and screwed them to the framing between the windows .

I cut some 3/4" x 3/4" spacers the same length as the L supports and used them as legs to seperate and ensure the hats were a consistent dimension apart as the glue and biscuits set up , this should allow me to cut the mid board and bend it in without any fitting ( fingers crossed lol )

[​IMG]

I also milled the 3 trims that curve in the on edge direction including the mid trim that will fit between these 2 hats

More progress tomorrow

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  3. Sep 14, 2013 at 11:35 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    My home improvement today was cleaning out the mud from my garage after flash flooding in Boulder got close to taking out the neighborhood. Fortunately the rain let up and it didn't get up to the front door. Removed some soaked drywall in the garage, did some needed cleaning and will redo the drywall as soon as we are sure it doesn't flood again, there is more rain in the "futurecast". :mad:

4. Sep 15, 2013 at 3:52 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    hope you can stay dry dude! saw all that craziness on the news :(

5. Sep 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    Geem750

Geem750 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Okanagan, BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB
    Grillcraft grill, ultimate toytek 3" lift, shorty antenna, blacked out badges, rear diff breather, Kenwood 6990 HU, wet okoles, weather techs, extra D-rings, Cruisin offroad bolt on sliders, Treklights 18" LED bar
    will you put any handles on those cupboards?

6. Sep 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Test run on the curved mid trim went well today

[​IMG]

During dry fitting the mid trim , I realized I needed a way to make sure that the trim was fully supported at the back at an appropriate offset from the front of the hat trims to get an accurate , consistant margin after the lamination was dried

I decided to install some backing blocks at a prescribed offset from the front of the hat trims which will ensure that no matter how tight I drive my wedges to secure the lamination during gluing and curing , it will hold a correct margin

[​IMG]

The bonus of adding these backing blocks is that I can now also laminate the other two on-edge trims with the same form

I will start laminating tomorrow

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    Danactive likes this.
  7. Sep 15, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Some awesome work Oz. keep pics coming as you finish this project. Is this a customer or your house? :thumbsup:

8. Sep 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Thanks

This is at my own house

9. Sep 16, 2013 at 3:55 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    So Oz has your wife started to look at window treatments for this window.

Quality window with a nice view.

What makes it even better is that it is so hard to find time to do this type of quality work on your own home.

10. Sep 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  11. Sep 16, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Nice choice. The finished window will bring out a lot of beauty in your home.

12. Sep 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    We bought the Levelor Roman Shades. We got the type with the cordless lift. You lift on the bottom of the shade to raise it or pull it down to lower it. No strings dangling down.

13. Sep 16, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    These ones are like that too

14. Sep 16, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
  15. Sep 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Got the upper trim element lamination glued and clamped up this morning , I worked on finishing up the other two straight window sets in this room the rest of the day

[​IMG]

My plan is to glue up the upper trim ( done ) , tomorrow I'll remove it and glue up the bottom trim , while the bottom trim is curing I'll sand , trim and install the upper trim , and add the curved hat and crown to it .

The following day I will remove the lower trim , glue up and clamp the mid trim and while that cures I will sand , trim and install the lower and it's hat

I should be able to have the mid trim and the sides complete by the end if the week .

This afternoon I had to make a run to one of my stash piles and get some longer length boards that have a similar colour and grain to use as the side casings

[​IMG]

16. Sep 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Hopefully today is the last day of soldier beam installation. The sand is killing production.

pyze4y5e_b7b2e46ea6d02483800774daf024ed4c83d26d9e.jpg

17. Sep 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    DTFtacoma

DTFtacoma Dezert Toy Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner D-cab
    DTF LT front & rear
  18. Sep 17, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    try lumber liquidators or a local shop over home depot. they may give you a better price.

19. Sep 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    DTFtacoma

DTFtacoma Dezert Toy Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner D-cab
    DTF LT front & rear
    good call

20. Sep 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Top round trim installed , lower trim clamped in the form

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top