1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home link

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LonghornTaco, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Oct 12, 2008 at 7:42 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Anyone know of an aftermarket "home link" system? Essentially, I want to add a built in garage door opener. Maybe even put it in place of the button that switches the temp guage in the ceiling console...

2. Oct 13, 2008 at 4:28 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Easiest way.... buy a Homelink Mirror.
    I have an auto-dimming homelink mirror & it works GREAT!!
    [​IMG]

or...you can do what my husband did in our corvette. He bought a vent visor with a homelink box in it (You can't buy homelink pieces separately). He tore out the box and mounted it in the car and wired his own buttons. Electronics experienced highly recommended - but thought I'd post it anyway.

http://www.lieblweb.com/TechLinks/CorvetteHomelink/C5Homelink.htm

3. Oct 13, 2008 at 6:53 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I knew about the HomeLink mirrors you could buy, but my '09 has the backup camera screen in it. However, the sunvisor idea is kinda what I had in mind. Get the homelink parts and rip it apart and install it how I like...

Thanks!

4. Oct 29, 2008 at 5:26 PM
    Bean&Cheese

Bean&Cheese Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio Texas
    I bought a unit off of Ebay and installed it next to the cup holder. Started on it tonight and will finish it tomorrow night. Make sure you buy a rolling code one if that is what your gate/garage door open requires.

5. Oct 29, 2008 at 5:35 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Post pics when you are done. I bought a visor off Ebay as well and ripped out the module, but haven't installed it yet.

6. Oct 30, 2008 at 8:59 AM
    Bean&Cheese

Member:
    San Antonio Texas
    Here ya go. Finished up this morning.

DSCN2673.jpg
    DSCN2672.jpg
    DSCN2671.jpg

7. Oct 30, 2008 at 9:26 AM
    L8Rmike

L8Rmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goose Creek, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 White DC LB 4x4 sport
    Very cool!

Does the home link require a power wire run to it or does it have a battery like a regular grarage door opener?

8. Oct 30, 2008 at 9:33 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Nice! Did you have to do anything to extend the buttons so they made connections with the circuit board with the added thickness of the center console or was it a simple "drill three holes"?

How did you secure it to the bottom of the center console?

9. Oct 30, 2008 at 9:57 AM
    Bean&Cheese

Member:
    San Antonio Texas
    I took some measurments of what actuall need to go through the console, made a template out of a post it and put a bigger piece of tape over it, then taping it to the underside of the console. I did have to dremel down the small support grooves on the underside. Then I lined everything up after I took the electronics out and epoxied it into place..

I should have done a DIY. sorry.

If you have any other questions lmk.

10. Oct 30, 2008 at 9:58 AM
    Bean&Cheese

Member:
    San Antonio Texas
    I took some measurments of what actually needed to go through the console, made a template out of a post it note and put a bigger piece of tape over it, then taping it to the underside of the console. I did have to dremel down the small support grooves on the underside. Then I lined everything up after I took the electronics out and epoxied it into place..

I should have done a DIY. sorry.

If you have any other questions lmk.

To Top