1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home made intake

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by paul gallardo, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Jul 29, 2008 at 6:28 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    the hole in the fender....just like a K&N or air raid. the trd cai or volant are better b/c they still use the fender hole like the stock one, to get no hot air from inside the engine compartment

2. Jul 29, 2008 at 6:34 PM
    NHinAK

NHinAK Active Member

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    08 Tundra TRD
    -Debadged
    I had a K&N on my 2004 (similar set up on the 05+), and it did not get the air from the stock location (fender). Instead it came with some lame "heat shield" that did nothing since the air it was taking in was being drawn from under the hood.

Unless the filter is sealed around the fender opening, your still going to be drawing in hot under hood air. A heat shield isn't going to accomplish much, if anything.

3. Jul 29, 2008 at 6:35 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    So you have a SC. Have you seen dyno results for stock vs CAI with an SC to show what the difference is?

Either way, he doesn't have a SC so why dump $300 into an intake right now if it's not going to be that big of an improvement?

Also, do you have a URD Y-pipe to eliminate the first set of cats and a full cat back exhaust to help get rid of the extra air the SC crams into the engine? URD MAF calibrator to further tweak the AFR and have the whole setup tuned for best result? Or is it just sort of "rigged"? (and by "rigged" I mean "still in progress".)

I guess if you have 4 grand to dump on an unnecesrary item another $300 is a drop in the bucket. :rolleyes: I could use 4 grand to pay my mortgage for 6 months, or my other bills for a year. Not to mention the added cost of having to run premium gas.

4. Jul 29, 2008 at 6:43 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft

wow... You really aren't reading anything anyone is posting are you? Do I need to refer you to what I posted earlier? Should I highlight so it's easier to see?

Do I really need to keep repeating myself? :frusty:

This whole discussion is pointless anyway as none of us know if it's going to be a sheet metal shield like the K&N, or if he's gonna fab up a box like the TRD, Volant, etc to seal it up and suck only from the wheel well. And quite frankly, if he's already going to fab a shield it wouldn't be that hard to have it wrap around and be covered.

5. Jul 29, 2008 at 6:48 PM
    NHinAK

NHinAK Active Member

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    08 Tundra TRD
    -Debadged

6. Jul 29, 2008 at 6:53 PM
    NHinAK

NHinAK Active Member

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    08 Tundra TRD
    -Debadged

I read it as it was origionally posted. He never mentioned anything about cutting. You did. Your not the OP. In his current design, such as it is right now, and NOT with your assumptions, it's still going to draw in air from under the hood.

ETA: However, good on him for doing it himself.

7. Jul 29, 2008 at 6:55 PM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    I for one give the guy credit for trying and I am sure he understands the concept of a CAI and will build to try to accomplish it.

To spend $300-$400 on a CAI is a rip off! I guarantee they are making rediculous profits from these things just because some people want to try to get a small percentage of increased performance

8. Jul 29, 2008 at 7:39 PM
    nagelg

nagelg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Mis-information? I speak from experience my friend. I've done the CAI thing and found they are no more effective than the removal of the secondary and installing a better drop-in. I keep good records of my gas mileage. As previously stated: "a total ripoff"...all I found they do well is sound loud and lighten ones bank account.

9. Jul 29, 2008 at 7:50 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2! I have dyno'ed many CAI and found the largest gains to be only 3 hp or so. In many cases they have made LESS h.p. than the stock intake.

10. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:55 PM
    paul gallardo

paul gallardo [OP] rc racer

Member:
    northridge, ca
    Vehicle:
    5lug taco access cab
    fog lights,light bar, sport pedals, tire size swap(from 215/70/15 to 235/75/15to31/10.5/15). Crager 15x8 blackies 2.5 inch lift.Dynomax super turbo, AFE intake system.
    FYI for everyone, total cost...$0 dollars. These are just parts that I already had in my garage. The only that's different from the $300 ones, technically is the heat shield. Where do you guys thinks the expensive stuff draws air from? From someone's head!! Guess where, the same place. By the way I took me months to figure out what works best. Looks is one thing, but power that this intake gave my truck is trully satisfiying regardless of anyone's opinion.

11. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:59 PM
    paul gallardo

paul gallardo [OP] rc racer

Member:
    northridge, ca
    Vehicle:
    5lug taco access cab
    fog lights,light bar, sport pedals, tire size swap(from 215/70/15 to 235/75/15to31/10.5/15). Crager 15x8 blackies 2.5 inch lift.Dynomax super turbo, AFE intake system.
    I have done that drop-in secondary removal deal a month after I got my truck. I was ok. Not as good as the one I have now. I bought my truck April06. And also where the original air filter box was, attached to it is a primary air box located in the fender well. That has been removed to let cool air pass through.

12. Jul 29, 2008 at 10:25 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    Kudos to you man. That's an awesome rig since you are using parts just laying around. That takes some effort and time to accomplish. Don't listen to any naysayers. It's your truck, you do whatever the hell you want to with it! ;)

13. Jul 29, 2008 at 10:49 PM
    nagelg

nagelg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Hey, I think it's really great that you've done for "0" $$ what everyone does for 250-300$. I personally never saw an advantage to my CAI. I got better mileage only because I didn't like the noise, so was really light of foot :D What really riles me about them is that the mfg'rs make such a big deal (15 hp, 10# torque) and for a really high price you get but a few dollars worth of plastic tubing and some clamps. You've proven that that if you want one, it can be done without being ripped off.

14. Jul 29, 2008 at 11:28 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    If I may ask advice...

I haven't looked at what all can be done, but I'm really interested in sticking a Kinetiks power cell (basically it looks like a battery) in the exact place where your big ol' red filter is. Do you think it's doable to re-route, or should I keep with the idea of the URD CAI that routes in front of the grill? I'm happy enough with the HP/torque I'm getting - if you haven't already heard me say, I graduated up from a 96 horse engine.

Products Discussed in

To Top