1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home made snorkel kit

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Dawayne409, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Nov 25, 2009 at 6:19 AM
    Dawayne409

Dawayne409 [OP] Master Airman of the Navy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dawayne
    Norfolk, Va
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 Prerunner SR5 Stepside
    Glassworks Front Fenders, SAW Racerunner Coilovers up front, Awesome mangled up back bumper, Tailgate is currently MIA.
    A buddy of mine showed this to me on his Ranger forum last week and we did it to his truck, it seems to work just fine and doesn't seem restrictive at all. Has anyone done this to a taco or see any logical reason why it shouldn't be done to a taco?

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Snorkel.html

2. Nov 25, 2009 at 6:39 AM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    A couple of thoughts...

If you're going to go to the lengths of installing a snorkel, do it properly and take it to above the windshield.

If you've got a decent truck, why not get the real deal and put something in there that's built for purpose.

But, each to his own.

PS When you post a link, please press 'enter' after it so it is clickable - otherwise people have to cut and paste. :mad:

3. Nov 25, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    Kuneff

Kuneff Carpe Diem

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Woods Beater
    Tree Dents
    yeah... pressing enter would had been nice, but lucky for me I have a mac, I just clicked on it then a 2 finger click to open.

Either way.... I don't see the point to even do that... so now your pulling your air fron the wiper cowl area.. it is NO doubt restricted at ever turn and even when it comes from the wiper cowl to the tube... not to mention, your out wheelin, and you slam the truck into a mud hole... where does all that muddy water go???? I know for it it rolls right up over the hood... from there momentum will carry the muddy water to the wiper cowl, and you just channeled that right into your intake box, and possibly your intake manifold...

I don't know if my thoughts are right... But I know I sure would NOT try that with my truck...

Save some $$$ and get a real snorkel if you think your wheelin that hard that you need it....

4. Nov 25, 2009 at 7:01 AM
    Dawayne409

Dawayne409 [OP] Master Airman of the Navy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dawayne
    Norfolk, Va
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 Prerunner SR5 Stepside
    Glassworks Front Fenders, SAW Racerunner Coilovers up front, Awesome mangled up back bumper, Tailgate is currently MIA.
    Yeah I hear you on the enter issue.

Anyway, we tried flooding the cowl area with a water hose and a couple 5 gallon buckets but it stayed surprising dry inside the airbox. How? I don't know. His truck still drives fine (for a ranger) just like it did before the dryer hose snorkel kit which doesn't surprise me much, I figured it would be just as restrictive as a real snorkel kit anyway. I don't like the way snorkel kits look so I was considering this as an option so i could still get through minor soup without the fear of locking my engine up and keep from having a chimney sticking out of my fender.

5. Nov 25, 2009 at 7:04 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail
    dont think i would trust the dryer vent.....

6. Nov 25, 2009 at 7:50 AM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    It looks like a/c duct to me, that would probably hold up pretty well.

Dryer vent = definitely no good for this application.

To Top