1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hondo Garage's New Thing

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by wileydavis, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Jul 15, 2018 at 7:57 AM
    camrsummers

camrsummers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Any photos of a GFC on Barcelona red taco yet?

2. Jul 15, 2018 at 9:09 AM
    rocket_scientist

rocket_scientist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern VA
    MGM with silver GFC and orange frame4E93C17E-B952-4D9E-AF44-11275A5C039F.jpg

tonered, Willbeck, Quadabaum and 4 others like this.
  3. Jul 15, 2018 at 1:01 PM
    TRD_SLO

TRD_SLO Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD Offroad
    Here are some questions that I am unsure if they've been answered.

How much weight can the t-tracks hold on the sides of the camper? Specifically, could I use a custom t-nut mounted item, or even the cross bar rack mounts from GoFast to put 4 hoist points on the t-tracks and keep the whole gfc platform suspended in the garage or would this damage/bend the t tracks?

The current production rate is about 5 units per week. What is the desired or target production rate say by end of year 2018? I know there will be more items being produced (Roof racks, RTT option, fitting more truck models, etc) but I assume the GFC platform as it is will remain the #1 production focus.

Will GFC have a presence at SEMA?

4. Jul 15, 2018 at 1:18 PM
    rajacat9

rajacat9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington State
    It would be nice if GFC would give us some of their ideas on future awning options.:)

PNW Explorer likes this.
  5. Jul 15, 2018 at 2:02 PM
    TRD_SLO

TRD_SLO Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD Offroad
    Thanks for the reply! Currently saving up for the initial deposit and definitely excited to see GFC succeed as a business!

DoorDing likes this.
  6. Jul 15, 2018 at 2:36 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Curious if this product would be subject to the Tariff tit for tat nonsense. Given that it is a finished product, not the raw original materials, and not specifically listed, the suspected answer is No. Example would be a DIY bumper would be subject, but a finished bumper would not, as far as I can tell.
    EDIT found my answer: a Canadian import of the GFC would be subject to 8% Duty and 5% GST = +13% on the Canadian $ value of the import. No change from Bt due to recent imposition of Tariffs.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    DoorDing likes this.
  7. Jul 15, 2018 at 5:17 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    steel and aluminum tariffs have already affected pricing for a lot of fab companies.

DoorDing likes this.
  8. Jul 15, 2018 at 5:33 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Yes, for the American manufacturer purchasing materials to build their product they are paying a +25% premium for steel, and +10% for aluminum on metal sources outside of the US. US metal distributors selling to the manufacturers such as GFC have to show where the materials came from and pass on the additional taxation. Presumably this means US Steel & Aluminum producers can raise their price points to remain more profitable, yet still competitive. The reality is higher pricing for the metal to US product manufacturers and an additional taxation revenue stream for the government. Hopefully US metal producers can use the additional short term profitability to increase their production, or otherwise make improvements to position themselves better in competition to imports.

The query raised would be from the perspective of being Canadian and impacted by the counter application of Tariffs against American products being imported into Canada. So as a potential Cdn consumer, I'd be paying for the initial increase in manufacturing cost in the US, and any additional tariff for bringing the product into Canada. The potential offset factor will be the exchange rate, as the US dollar value falls. As far as I can tell, the finished product is not applicable with Canadian counter tariffs.

DoorDing likes this.
  9. Jul 15, 2018 at 5:44 PM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    Naaaa.... do it like the dozens of Canadians I know. Drive down have it installed, drive back home with it on. For that matter get new tires installed and fill your suitcases with clothes, get yourself some new shoes too.

I’m 100% NOT joking. I lived in Watertown NY for many years (maybe 30 miles from Canada and a big shopping hub) this was a daily practice for as long as I can remember.

Hell, I’ve seen it done with boat Motors, Boat electronics, just about anything you can name.

I do not think GFC is going to go through the trouble of export paperwork filing for shipping to Canada, so you’ll have to come get yours anyway. IF you decide otherwise my wife deals with shipping fixturing to Canada regularly. She may be able to help you if you HAVE to have it shipped.

tonered and Shellshock like this.
  10. Jul 15, 2018 at 5:48 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    clothes and shoes aren't worth it. Full fuel tank, and fireworks on the other hand... damn it, I've said too much again.

monkeyface, Willbeck and DoorDing like this.
  11. Jul 15, 2018 at 5:53 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    yeah that would be the plan is to drive down there to have it installed. Its not that far for me. I can do with out this season, see what improvements are made, and figure out the right ordering time sequence to p/u at an appropriate non-winter drive time.

DoorDing and YOTA 4X4[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Jul 16, 2018 at 2:54 AM
    Borrego Taco

Borrego Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Anyone with a rear window on the gfc tint it yet?

13. Jul 16, 2018 at 6:20 AM
    SagWagon

SagWagon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR
    I’m order 168, and I’m wondering if I’ll be the first Barcelona.

camrsummers[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jul 16, 2018 at 7:14 AM
    I_eat_tacos

I_eat_tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was wondering this too. I'm thinking a one way tint would be the way or an easy drop/slide curtain.

15. Jul 16, 2018 at 7:27 AM
    Gimmeanm3

Gimmeanm3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '18 DC LB TRDOR / 2011 BMW 1M
    I'm planning to do ceramic tint plus make a shade that attaches via velcro on the inside made of this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006FLTPEA?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I've used this already to make shades that I use in my Leer topper right now. Works great. Cut to fit and then hem the border with gorilla tape.

blind cowboy likes this.
  16. Jul 16, 2018 at 7:27 AM
    Borrego Taco

Borrego Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    I wanted a window for better visibility driving and especially backing up.

The tint is for sun/thermal reasons and to prevent prying eyes to see what is inside.

A curtain would work, or using windsheild sunshade material cut to shape, but even then I will probably tint it.

Tacovore likes this.
  17. Jul 16, 2018 at 8:46 AM
    I_eat_tacos

I_eat_tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    For me, it's more about security, but also it would be handy to block it off in winter for thermal reasons. I like @Gimmeanm3 's idea. I don't generally plan on keeping expensive cargo inside, but during trips its nice to have peace of mind. Plus when driving at night it can be nice to shut out light from rear. I like having modular abilities, hence my choice in camper

18. Jul 16, 2018 at 8:46 AM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    I plan to do ceramic tint for heat control and a simple Velcro curtain for camp.

19. Jul 16, 2018 at 3:50 PM
    bigdood

bigdood Well-Known Member

Member:
    I hope it's not 50 shipped since I was #30 in the build queue and it already feels like I've been dicked around enough with zero to infrequent communication and constantly missed deadlines counted in months not weeks. Seems reasonable to expect more when all of us early order customers funded their business

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Photoweekender likes this.
  20. Jul 16, 2018 at 4:01 PM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    Same. I’m 41 and I finally heard word the other day from an assistant. But didn’t get an answer from the response i sent back. Unless they are WAY out of order they have NOT shipped anywhere near 50. Maybe half that.

bigdood[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top