1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hondo Garage's New Thing

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by wileydavis, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Nov 17, 2018 at 8:16 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    You’re going to have a hard time fitting the gfc on that car!!

2. Nov 18, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    aaen

aaen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport BBP
    Kings, ARB Summit Bumper, SMittybilt Winch, vagabond Drifter, Prinsu Cabrac, Crusinoffroad slidersand rear bumper
    now that is a shame, make sure it doesn't get lonely once in awhile and go give it a pet or two.

3. Nov 18, 2018 at 9:10 AM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    Why?!? I'll trade you my 2003 double cab for the winter with Snugtop. You don't even have to brush the snow off.

4. Nov 18, 2018 at 9:23 AM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    I haven't daily driven my truck in years.

It's just a wheeling rig at this point, and there's no wheeling to be had here in the winter. I'll dig it out in the spring when the weather is getting nice in UT.

jubei likes this.
  5. Nov 18, 2018 at 9:43 AM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    :( I don't daily driver mine either. I ride my bike, motorcycle, walk or take the bus to work and ride my bike around town. Truck is only for adventuring.

6. Nov 18, 2018 at 9:50 AM
    Squeaky Penguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    It's a little different up here with a couple dozen plus feet of snow a year.

I have zero reason to drive my truck in the winter. Especially considering it's not a very good winter vehicle to begin with.

7. Nov 18, 2018 at 11:32 AM
    aaen

aaen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport BBP
    Kings, ARB Summit Bumper, SMittybilt Winch, vagabond Drifter, Prinsu Cabrac, Crusinoffroad slidersand rear bumper
    Not a good winter rig? what do you drive in the winter time that is a better rig? Up here those are fighting words. Kidding, well not really I get made fun off and laughed at all the time with my lil taco, I am literally the only taco I see armoured up and ready for off roading in Northern AB, well mine is a little more then what most do here. They jack up f250 long boxes with 8" lifts and off road those here and break everything in thick sticky clay.

VE7OSR likes this.
  8. Nov 18, 2018 at 4:21 PM
    henryrose

henryrose Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB Black
    I started playing around with reflectix to insulate the bottom of the GFC. Our dogs have been getting cold down there at night, and I figure raising the temperature in the bottom a few degrees will make us warmer upstairs as well.

I cut reflectix to fit inside both side doors between the stiffeners. It’s mounted with Velcro although it’s very light and doesn’t interfere with the operation of the door so I may leave it there semi-permanently.

For the back door I intentionally oversized the insulation so it will overlap the top of the tailgate and wrap around to overlap the sides. This panel will have to be fitted after we are all in the GFC and the back is closed up, but I think that overlap will help reduce the drafts we get around the intersection of the rear door and tailgate corners.

I may do something similar for the front wall if this approach shows promise.

I’ve got next weekend to test this approach with forecast overnight lows around 20 in eastern WA.

I’m curious if anyone has tried a candle lantern as a heat source?

https://www.ucogear.com/candlelier-lantern-aluminum-c--a--std

This one claims to put out 5000btus for 9 hours, I wonder if it could help take the edge off in the temps we see here. They seem to be backordered everywhere or I would get one to test.

Also pictured here is the bungee I ran through the gfc mounts a few weeks ago. This has been a great little tool to hold items like the two square cushions (held against the cab) or a water bottle.

D5648866-A2CA-44D0-8EAA-3E8E279D21D5.jpg 1B2C9EF8-B97C-4D55-AE05-56EF585E27A7.jpg

9. Nov 18, 2018 at 4:27 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    Keep in mind my 1st gen doesn't have ABS or any kind of traction control. The newer trucks certainly do better. Also I'm talking about packed snow and icy roads, not deep untracked snow. When I did DD my truck I had a dedicated set of winter tires and it did alright, but still not great.

I use to DD a '13 WRX, for which I had a set of winter tires as well, and that was hands down the best vehicle I've ever drive in the snow. Currently have an AWD S40, we'll see how that does this winter.

aaen[QUOTED], jubei and tonered like this.
  10. Nov 18, 2018 at 4:54 PM
    PNW Explorer

PNW Explorer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR DCLB Mag Gray

I've spent two weekends in my GFC with temps hovering in the teens. My two dogs can't be any different from each other. The German Shepherd could care less about the temps, but my boxer's lack of winter coat makes winter camping difficult. The best solution I've found thus far is to prep the GFC for bed by running a cheapo Coleman propane heater for about 20 minutes. That is enough time to get all the bedding, dog blankets, and gear inside the gfc warm enough to sustain us from 11 p.m. to sunrise.

Let us know how the reflectix works out. It helped in my last build.

ETAV8R and henryrose[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Nov 18, 2018 at 5:09 PM
    harbs89

harbs89 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 5sp
    881 / Dakar AAL / Trail Gear / GFC

Ive had good results with 1" XPS foam board on panels and bed sides. Couple nights in the high teens and the dogs stay toasty down below. May add continuous 2' reflectix across the panels to seal things up, and lay some cork under the bed mat for mid winter. Still figuring out the heater setup, currently have a Wave heater and it does the job, but really heats up anything nearby and I wouldn't leave it on all night. Propex seems to be the ticket, just can't justify the price quite yet.

12. Nov 18, 2018 at 5:47 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Use candle lanterns to take the edge off inside snow built quinzhis for winter camping. Yes it does work, but also surrounded with 6"+ inches of snow, with probably a better insulation value than the lightly insulated GFC. Tarping off the bottom of the truck like a skirt to minimize the air exchange under the truck can make a difference as well.

henryrose[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Nov 18, 2018 at 7:23 PM
    rajacat9

rajacat9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington State
    A BedRug insulates well in addition to protecting and softening the bed. Covers leaks to keep out dust and cold too.

BraskaTaco, ETAV8R and henryrose like this.
  14. Nov 19, 2018 at 6:12 AM
    PaulK

PaulK Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dublin, OH (but still a Pittsburgh guy)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Baja Access Cab
    I used to have a 2006 S40 T5 6-speed manual with the sport package and it was fantastic in snow. 2006 was the last year that traction control was optional, and I didn't get it so I could drive it like a rally car. My wife now drives a 2015 S60R, and it's also really good. After we bought it she took it out to a big parking lot after a big snow to get a feel for how it was going to drive in bad weather. She came home upset that she couldn't get it to slide at all - and my wife is a nut job behind the wheel.

15. Nov 19, 2018 at 6:48 AM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    @Quadabaum truck looks tight! Just saw it on GFC’s IG story. (Whoops now I saw it on yours too!!) That EZ-awn looks pretty nice as well. Congrats and safe travels!

Quadabaum and ScenicCityOverland like this.
  16. Nov 19, 2018 at 7:08 AM
    dilbert

dilbert AI Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD Off-Road
    I use the single candle UCO candle lantern in my tent when I backpack in the snow. It definitely keeps the tent a little warmer, but the biggest benefit is it cuts down on the condensation dramatically.
    https://www.rei.com/product/838879/uco-original-candle-lantern

henryrose[QUOTED] and ETAV8R like this.
  17. Nov 19, 2018 at 2:58 PM
    the_tacocamper

the_tacocamper The Taco Camper

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    -Prinsu designs cab rack -Southern Style slimline bumper -Smittybuilt XRC 9500 lbs winch -Cascadia 4x4 flipster -CBI off road ditch might brackets -KChilite flex dual ditch lights -Mountain Hatch tailgate reinforcement -Cali Raised LED faux TRD Pro grille -Cali Rasied LED bed stiffeners -Cali Raised LED 25 degree sliders -RCI metal works bed rack -RCI front skid plate -CVT Mt. Shasta Rooftop tent -K&N cold air intake -Tinted windows 15% -Chrome deleted (emblems/bumper) -Full size spare -OEM bed mat -Maxxtraxx SUSPENSION: -ARB BP-51s suspension w/reservoirs -OME heavy duty dakars -OME heavy springs -BFGoodrich KO2 285/70r17 -Method Roost race wheels INTERIOR: -Marathon seat covers -Hondo Garage phone mount -Ram ball mounts -Ram squeeze mount -LED interior lighting -Attic by Blue Ridge Overland -Weathertech Floor mats -Tacoma red dash inlay CAMP GEAR -Tembo Tusk skottle -Front Runner wolf packs (2) -Ruger 10/22 breakdown rifle -Waterport pressurized water system -Yeti Panga 28 backpack w/dry sidekick -Yeti Panga 50 duffel bag -Yeti Roadie 20 cooler -Rtic 65 cooler -Fiskars chopping axe and hatchet -Hyke and Byke down sleeping bag -10x10 Coleman easy up -Coleman two burner stove FUTURE MODS: -GFC Camper #184 (mid February-March) -CBI Rear bumper w/tire swingout -Bed drawer system -Bed lighting system -Wilco Offroad spare tire bedrail mount
    Submitted my specs for me camper, now the excitement is getting out of hand while I await completion

JLink, Double Down and rkam65 like this.
  18. Nov 19, 2018 at 3:02 PM
    rkam65

rkam65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Offroad Tacoma
    Just got my specs email request! My truck is black and I was thinking a black GFC... But does anyone have a pic of a black truck with gray GFC? Or if I provide a pic can someone help a girl out and put a gray camper on my truck??

19. Nov 19, 2018 at 4:15 PM
    Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    '23 ACLB TRD OR
    Magnuson, King, OVRLND, Deaver, Method, BFG
    I received my spec email today as well.

Was anyone's build date different from the original date they were given at purchase? Mine was the same date.

I was hoping to see the schedule accelerated a bit due to the ramp from 5 to 10 campers per week...

rkam65 likes this.
  20. Nov 19, 2018 at 4:24 PM
    the_tacocamper

the_tacocamper The Taco Camper

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    -Prinsu designs cab rack -Southern Style slimline bumper -Smittybuilt XRC 9500 lbs winch -Cascadia 4x4 flipster -CBI off road ditch might brackets -KChilite flex dual ditch lights -Mountain Hatch tailgate reinforcement -Cali Raised LED faux TRD Pro grille -Cali Rasied LED bed stiffeners -Cali Raised LED 25 degree sliders -RCI metal works bed rack -RCI front skid plate -CVT Mt. Shasta Rooftop tent -K&N cold air intake -Tinted windows 15% -Chrome deleted (emblems/bumper) -Full size spare -OEM bed mat -Maxxtraxx SUSPENSION: -ARB BP-51s suspension w/reservoirs -OME heavy duty dakars -OME heavy springs -BFGoodrich KO2 285/70r17 -Method Roost race wheels INTERIOR: -Marathon seat covers -Hondo Garage phone mount -Ram ball mounts -Ram squeeze mount -LED interior lighting -Attic by Blue Ridge Overland -Weathertech Floor mats -Tacoma red dash inlay CAMP GEAR -Tembo Tusk skottle -Front Runner wolf packs (2) -Ruger 10/22 breakdown rifle -Waterport pressurized water system -Yeti Panga 28 backpack w/dry sidekick -Yeti Panga 50 duffel bag -Yeti Roadie 20 cooler -Rtic 65 cooler -Fiskars chopping axe and hatchet -Hyke and Byke down sleeping bag -10x10 Coleman easy up -Coleman two burner stove FUTURE MODS: -GFC Camper #184 (mid February-March) -CBI Rear bumper w/tire swingout -Bed drawer system -Bed lighting system -Wilco Offroad spare tire bedrail mount

Mine is still scheduled for the same date after receiving the email. Hoping it gets done a little sooner as well but not expecting it.

Products Discussed in

To Top