1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hondo Garage's New Thing

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by wileydavis, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Nov 26, 2018 at 2:16 PM
    I_eat_tacos

I_eat_tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    Right I saw those but not a huge fan cause it’s just another thing to charge lol. But the Anderson plugs sounds like a good option. I have a bed light package with a latching switch right now. For GM we have an option package that I just wired into and got a trailer harness tee to get the 12V signal. Beauty is it’s time red at 20 minutes and fused already. So it’s a great lighting solution and I am working on a better solution for full 12V without a timer. Might replace my main battery with an AGM and keep a portable starter in case. Rather not go solar or dual battery if I don’t need to.

The ez breeze looks like the best solution since it’s passive and year round waterproof even with the vents open. I didn’t like it at first but it’s growing on me lol. The only thing I can think of is how to properly mount it to the roof panel since they all take screws? Silicone would seal, maybe an RTV and cured would hold it? Vibrations can get nasty so definitely need something robust and waterproof.

ace7196 likes this.
  2. Nov 26, 2018 at 2:40 PM
    ace7196

ace7196 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 4X4 V6 DCLB
    GFC Mods: http://bit.ly/GFCMods
    Thinking some putty tape and Dicor Lap Sealant for holding it down, although that may be more of a method of sealing. I think butyl tape may work well?

3. Nov 26, 2018 at 2:45 PM
    I_eat_tacos

Member:
    Hmmm yeah maybe an that plus epoxy to glue it and then use a clear silicone to seal it? Love me some in jb weld. That’s in my trail kit. Never know when you need to fix a cracked oil pan in the boonies. Works like a champ. Should do fine with a measly fan.

I did get to see the marinco fan in person and it really blends well and is compact. Could be a good option to get the day/night solar version as well.

ace7196 likes this.
  4. Nov 26, 2018 at 3:01 PM
    ace7196

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Looks like most people aren't too impressed with them. Not sure if Dometic is going to do some improvements or not, so maybe ones under their name will be better?
    https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-800600-Breeze-Powered-Vent/dp/B00RBWQH4I

I know Wiley was working on a custom option, but with all the accessories on hold, I'm thinking It'll be ready for next winter, and not this one.

The MaxxAir Mini actually looks pretty awesome too. If I'm reading these pictures correctly, it looks like the whole fan assembly would be within the ceiling/roof, with only a few mm actually going into the living space.
    https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-Fans/Maxxair/MA00-03801.html Note this one is a different model than the one listed below.

According to this, it's only 2.85" (above the roof?) when the lid is closed. https://www.airxcel.com/maxxair/products/fans/maxxfan-mini

I'll measure my roof bars + mounts to see what that ends up being.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    YOTA 4X4 likes this.
  5. Nov 26, 2018 at 6:34 PM
    I_eat_tacos

Member:
    Yeah that’s what I noticed too. Reviews weren’t too hot. The maxxfan looked awesome too. The main feature I love is a remote model. Nothing better than that!! I’m a fan of compact and simple so anything that gets me that with a 12V signal or solar is on my list.

In the meantime winter is kicking in here and I am still waiting for new panels to be painted and the whole assembly re-shipped out east. Not missing out on too much yet since snow up north isn’t quite enough to justify a trip yet.

ace7196 likes this.
  6. Nov 26, 2018 at 11:10 PM
    SoCalTacoTruck

SoCalTacoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can anyone comment on the upstairs airflow in hot weather (75-85 degrees)?

I know most tents would be hot, but the small windows on the side are the reason I ask. Most of my camping is done in warmer weather climates and airflow is very important to me.

Thanks!

7. Nov 26, 2018 at 11:22 PM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    Didn’t get mine till it was cool but... @wileydavis has repeatedly stated that the small windows are superior to larger windows due to the the pressure differential it creates (causing a force draft airflow).

That said @inv3ctiv3 had his first and is in hot sunny California so I’m sure he will jump in if he sees this.

ace7196 and SoCalTacoTruck like this.
  8. Nov 27, 2018 at 6:52 AM
    ace7196

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The windows they really are great. Best tent style ventilation I've had. There's usually a gentle breeze across you.
    But...I still wake up to that stale/sweaty air smell (if that makes sense), which is why I want a fan. I wish there was another small opening at the apex somewhere.
    Sure there's great airflow at the windows, but all that warm air just gets stuck up top with no way to go anywhere.

Edit: also in warm weather you'll probably have the large window open. That definitely keeps it cool.

YOTA 4X4 likes this.
  9. Nov 27, 2018 at 7:10 AM
    whitetaco16

whitetaco16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR Access Cab Long Bed
    Dobinson's 2.5, GFC #2, RCI Sliders, Mobtown Recovery Bar and Front Skid, Dometic 40 and Extremeaire Magnum
    I live and play in the southeast and had my GFC all summer. There were several nights when we got in the tent in the mid 80's with humidity in the 60-70's. As stated above, the cross ventilation is better than any tent I've experienced. I have a DeWalt 20v fan which we use and only one night was hot enough for us to run it all night. Normally, the cross ventilation will have you under cover before morning.

tonered and ace7196 like this.
  10. Nov 27, 2018 at 9:38 AM
    bigdood

bigdood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Has anybody heard an ETA on the lighting kit? Word was a few months ago they were revising it and it'd be available soon

henryrose likes this.
  11. Nov 27, 2018 at 9:42 AM
    PNW Explorer

PNW Explorer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR DCLB Mag Gray
    I believe they mentioned that they were focusing on production and that accessories were put on hold until January. However, I did see that they mentioned roof rack parts potentially coming out on the end of December on their Instagram story yesterday/today.

bigdood and tonered like this.
  12. Nov 27, 2018 at 1:12 PM
    ace7196

Member:
    Vehicle:
    @inv3ctiv3 what light did you add in back? I've been looking to do the exact same for a flood/work light for camp. Do you find it comes in handy?
    Did you and @Tacodust race to see who sets up quicker? A drifter or a GFC? ;)

ETAV8R likes this.
  13. Nov 27, 2018 at 7:04 PM
    Aggie_Eng

Aggie_Eng Member

Member:
    Time for me to join the fun! Been browsing the forum for a while and finally pulled the trigger a few months back.

Today a package arrived from the folks at GFC. What a great way to help with the color decision and get me absolutely stoked!
    Full disclosure, I’m a ZR2 owner! Love the community here and the ideas flowing around on some great builds!

Just got back from a 3000 mile trip to West Texas. Sure would have loved to have a GFC along for the ride.
    Can’t wait to join the GFC club!

dskakie, rkam65, tonered and 6 others like this.
  14. Nov 27, 2018 at 8:06 PM
    ace7196

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Man, those GFC guys are really stepping up their game with the color samples!

15. Nov 27, 2018 at 10:43 PM
    Ralston

Ralston Well-Known Member

Member:
    High in the Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Super White - 4x4 - TRD Off Road
    The side windows are small, but this is all part of the genius air-exchange design. Surprisingly, (when in hot environments) keep the rear large panel sealed, and open just the two sides. The breeze on yo face is unbelievable! If you are rolling solo, leave a floor panel/cushion or two at home and go "cabana" mode downstairs with a lower panel or two or three wide open for the ultimate aire-libre experience.

While at a music festival this summer, daytime temps were in the 90's before 10am. I was sleeping upstairs in my GFC well past 11am in total comfort while my friends in ground tents were sweated out hours before.

The white (insulated) roof, regardless of panel color, makes a huge impact on keeping the temps down in warmer environments.

The roof insulates so well that I noticed while camping outside of Barstow CA, (it was 100+/day, 50's/night) I would close up the GFC before sunrise, and up to 10 hours later, when I opened it up, it would be noticeably colder up top. Wonder how many beers I can fit up there....
    IMG_0341.jpg

16. Nov 28, 2018 at 2:07 AM
    YOTA 4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    Anyone out there give me the exact height of the roof rack mounts? What I mean is with the rack mounted to the extrusion how far above the extrusion does it stick up? I’m trying to keep my truck BELOW 7ft for some ferry crossings but I’m getting awful close now... @macdadmorgan ? I’m looking for a pretty exact measurement. Thanks all!!!!

17. Nov 28, 2018 at 6:57 AM
    ace7196

Member:
    Vehicle:
    On it.
    ~2-5/16"
    IMG_20181128_070230881-01.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  18. Nov 28, 2018 at 7:31 AM
    YOTA 4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    A million thanks. That is EXACTLY what I needed. Nice.

rkam65, butters_ and ace7196 like this.
  19. Nov 28, 2018 at 8:20 AM
    Tacovore

Tacovore Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma DCLB
    My wife, two kids and I had a great time in Baja last week and thoroughly loved the GFC! The versatility of the design worked great for all of us to sleep in the truck and was also light enough that we were able to get back into areas that others could not.

Here are a few pics below and a few thoughts on using the GFC
    1. I've been a ground camper for many many years and one thing I didn't see coming with having a bed so high above the ground, was the view!
    2. Side door on the tent does make it harder to close due to there being more material, but we loved this option and I highly recommend getting a side door! It made for easy entry and exit after kids had gone to bed and was nice for access and looking out when using the GFC during the day.
    3. Side door on the tent is awesome for access, but for airflow, GFC was right that having the smaller side windows open a bit at night created good airflow.
    4. We used a foam mattress for the bed down below and we just rolled it up, with bedding inside during the day. This worked great for using the vertical space and the camper during the day.
    5. Changing clothes and/or putting on my wetsuit while standing up in the back of my truck was nice. My wife and kids were fans of this changing space as well.
    6. Sticking magnet LEDs all over the GFC frame was easy, cheap, and worked well for all kinds of situation situations.
    7. One 10'6"paddle board, 3 longboards and one short board in cool weather seemed to be the limit for hoisting the roof. It stayed up all night without an issue, but it didn't go up as high as normal, so the tent walls were a little saggy.
    8. Fully loaded with four people and boards on top of the GFC my average gas milage was 15. If I pushed my speed up to 75, I would drop down to 11.5. Normally I am about 16.6. Pre-GFC I was 18.
    9. This truck is stock, except for Hondo Garage radio knobs and the GFC. Truck did really well with stock suspension, but I look forward to adding a bit more support in the future.
    10. Fitted sheets from GFC were very nice. The material covering the bed cushion is very durable, but not very soft, so flannel sheets were good.IMG_2131.jpg IMG_2088.jpg IMG_2002.jpg IMG_1909.jpg IMG_2085 3.jpg IMG_1767 3.jpg IMG_1711 3.jpg IMG_1708 3 - Version 2.jpg IMG_1708 3.jpg IMG_1706 3.jpg
    Bummer on the trip was my friend broke his leg and I needed to drive him many hours to a hospital. I left my wife and kids with another family for 24hrs on a dirt point away from anyone. It felt good knowing that they were well protected from the elements with our GFC while I was gone.

If you want all the comforts of a motor home, get a FWC or something heavier, but for our purposes both camping in remote areas and using the truck throughout the year, the GFC is ideal for us.

20. Nov 28, 2018 at 8:26 AM
    SoCalTacoTruck

SoCalTacoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    For those who debated Flippac vs. GFC, what was your selling point?

I’ve debated the two forever, and put a deposit on the GFC. Found an immaculate confition Flippac and am now debating forefitting my deposit.

I would save roughly $3,000 and have double the room. Makes the choice a little hard. The only thing I like really on the GFC is the ability to have a roof rack and an awning. Flippac would be hard to do that.

Edit: This is out of curiosity, not to start an entire debate on which company is better...We all know the build quality on a GFC is light years ahead.

butters_ likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top