1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hondo Garage's New Thing

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by wileydavis, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Jan 17, 2018 at 10:50 AM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    They mentioned bolting is straight to the bed if you don't mind drilling holes. That's the direction I would like to go, as I've already cut and drilled everything else, and seems like a more solid option.

Otherwise they said they would have a setup that would use traditional topper clamps.

Willbeck and Cbtacoma[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Jan 17, 2018 at 12:09 PM
    Cbtacoma

Cbtacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma sas & 02 Tacoma doublecab & 23 tacoma dclb
    Okay awesome. Just trying to figure out some storage in the bed and didn't want to have to work around the traditional clamps for shells.

3. Jan 17, 2018 at 12:29 PM
    CiscoSF

CiscoSF Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    Looks nice!

wileydavis[OP] and gmacmt like this.
  4. Jan 17, 2018 at 10:41 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    What is the predicted timeline to start shipping or being available for pickup? It takes a fair amount of notice for me to get enough time off work to make the trip down.

Cbtacoma likes this.
  5. Jan 18, 2018 at 8:35 AM
    gmacmt

gmacmt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Graeme
    Montucky
    Vehicle:
    98 taco, Ram on 40's
    Yeah, we are going to manufacture our own lower profile topper clamps that integrate to beds without track systems. We can also work on a kit for those that are fine with more permanent bed anchor provisions that still make the system removable.

We will know more in the coming weeks, and if you are in line to receive your product sooner than you are able to pick it up, we can work on coordinating a pick up time that works better. That make sense?

We are indeed ahead of our production schedule, but there are still some variables on the production time to get from unit 1 to unit 50. Forecasting those numbers to the day isn't something we are comfortable with at this point.

6. Jan 18, 2018 at 11:01 AM
    Cbtacoma

Cbtacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma sas & 02 Tacoma doublecab & 23 tacoma dclb
    Thanks. Really impressed with all your responses to everyone's questions. hope to put deposit in the next couple weeks.

gmacmt likes this.
  7. Jan 19, 2018 at 8:03 AM
    gmacmt

gmacmt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Graeme
    Montucky
    Vehicle:
    98 taco, Ram on 40's
    Of course. This tacomaworld thread has become a great resource for us to show folks our development process and answer questions people didn't even know they had. Appreciate you guys taking the time to ask.

Quadabaum, Willbeck and dman100 like this.
  8. Jan 19, 2018 at 8:26 AM
    Brostjoe

Brostjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited DCLB
    A James Baroud or air top style in the future would be a nice option after this product gets rolling. A lot more room.

9. Jan 19, 2018 at 8:47 AM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    Seems like that conflicts with the philosophy of light and fast plus access from inside the shell as the past owner of a FlipPac and eons ago, a Westfalia, that internal access is a real plus that normal RTT’s (had one too) can’t duplicate.

Willbeck and tonered like this.
  10. Jan 19, 2018 at 9:04 AM
    Brostjoe

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited DCLB
    I guess I meant just having the entire top pop up like the ones I mentioned. It wouldn’t be any slower or heavier if any, just offer a better sleeping area. You would still have the floor panels as they are now.

dman100[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jan 19, 2018 at 9:21 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    I think it would be a lot heavier since it would need some linkages to go up and support a big rectangle in bad weather. Doing that might require more weight / support in the lower section also?

With the current design, all the stress goes through the front hinge.

Brostjoe[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jan 19, 2018 at 10:53 AM
    Willbeck

Willbeck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    00 Reg Cab 4x4
    Bug deflector
    The thought process behind the single hinge was being able to lift the roof and cap while still using the roof top racks without having to unload things. If they did that and made the whole thing lift up, it would require a lot more support, complexity and weight.

Maybe one day it'll be an optional thing?

Brostjoe[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jan 19, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    wileydavis

wileydavis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    So the max load is highly dependent on where you put the load with respect to the point where the strut mounts to the upper frame. 100 lbs is the max we recommend if the cg of that 100lbs is right at the mounting point. If the cg is forward of that point the max load goes up and if it’s aft of that point it goes down. That’s a general rule of thumb. So if you mounted your bikes toward the front you’d most likely be fine.

And you’re correct that the more weight the harder it will be to lift open initially as the struts provide very little help from the closed position. You’ll also want to consider wind or snow loading in your equation. And the age of the struts as all gas struts loose oomph over time.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    ace7196[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jan 19, 2018 at 11:57 AM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    We looked into a variety of popup options and went with the single pivot primarily because even though it’s hard to see in photos, it actually feels a lot roomier that a straight pop because the standing room is much greater. I’m 6’4” tall and can comfortable sleep with my head at either end and sit upright in either orientation without my head hitting. Compared to the the straight pop Maggiolinas I’ve been in this thing feels palatial. It also allows for a giant window at one end and requires a lot less structure and moving parts to lift making it more stable in the wind (especiallly with a load on the roof), lighter, and more reliable.

Cbtacoma, tonered, Quadabaum and 4 others like this.
  15. Jan 19, 2018 at 12:05 PM
    Brostjoe

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited DCLB
    The demand for them is high, price point is perfect. Lots should sell, appreciate the response. I remember seeing bed interior options originally, are those in the future or ?

16. Jan 19, 2018 at 1:25 PM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Yep. It’s a standard item you can get from us or a number of different suppliers.

Quadabaum likes this.
  17. Jan 19, 2018 at 1:27 PM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    We don’t have anything finalized yet but we will be doing some kind of bed platform and some soft interior storage options. Think bikepacking frame bags but for your truck bed :)

18. Jan 19, 2018 at 1:42 PM
    socalktk

socalktk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kalvin
    San Gabriel Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD: OR
    Kings, Pelfreybilt skids, mobtown sliders, dakars, SCS
    Can I pick mine up yet? :D

Willbeck likes this.
  19. Jan 19, 2018 at 10:36 PM
    Ralston

Ralston Well-Known Member

Member:
    High in the Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Super White - 4x4 - TRD Off Road
    So I've been thinking all night about how to mount an awning to the GFC. How do you mount one extrusion with t-channel to another extrusion with t-channel...?

You could mount an awning to some simple roof bars via awn-locks from bomber products or something similar, untill you want to pop the top...

I then came up with an elaborate idea for a quick release interlocking "puck" system. Much like a french cleat, wait a minute. What about a locking french cleat system that you could mount on all three sides of the GFC, so if you wanted to quickly move the awning to another side of the camper, you could do so very easily...

Gotta love 2018, the Internet, and Google Image Search.

Enter this neat little product:

[​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/PiranhaLox-9...F8&qid=1516429434&sr=8-3&keywords=piranha+lox

I will buy/send you a few to test out if you think you can tweak it to work on the GFC with a common awning(ARB) without interfering with the roof struts or strut mounts on the side of the GFC frame. Perhaps just adding a little spacer behind it to allow for proper clearance? Or just fab up some replacement "universal insert blocks" that are thicker than the stock version. No spacers needed.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    transworldmoto, Willbeck and ace7196 like this.
  20. Jan 20, 2018 at 12:25 AM
    Ralston

Ralston Well-Known Member

Member:
    High in the Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Super White - 4x4 - TRD Off Road
    I would flip the little buggers upside down(self-cleaning mod), mount the "block" to the GFC for a clean look, then mount the piece with the "lever" to the awning, and only attach it to the rig when going out of town. Slide it down from above for a secure fit, lock it on, rock and roll! You could buy and mount several "blocks" to the GFC, then attach the "lever" pieces to things like quick fists, d-rings, go-pros, telescopic ladder brackets, hi-lift mounting posts, maxtrax mounting pins, axe mounts, shovel mounts, solar panels, solar showers, roof rack cross bar towers/feet, trasharoos, job site flood lights, fork mount bike racks... (you get the idea) for one hell of a versitile system. Bring only what you need. When you have to leave the rig unattended for a while (hiking trailhead, shopping mall, rock concert, or your favorite big-box superstore) you could quickly disconnect, stow, and protect.

:taco:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    lukester78, Willbeck and Shellshock like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top