1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hondo Garage's New Thing

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by wileydavis, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Dec 29, 2018 at 6:30 PM
    rajacat9

rajacat9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington State
    The Drifter is just larger, no getting around that. You pay for it too. Sometimes I wonder how that long cab overhang will stand up to the test of time.
    I suspect that it takes more hours to build the Drifter given all the welding points.

Since the overall roof is longer in the Drifter the apex of the tent offers less headroom if you sleep head forward because of the angle of the tent. Therefore less usable space.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  2. Dec 29, 2018 at 7:23 PM
    ace7196

ace7196 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 4X4 V6 DCLB
    GFC Mods: http://bit.ly/GFCMods
    Yeah, room is a game changer.
    Assuming it's all out of the same factory, I recommend a larger storage bag to make the packing life easier. The one that came with mine made it miserable to pack.
    For my 2000 series room (with floor), I got this and it's a lot better: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU37XS8/
    I had to reinforce the handle the first time I used it though...

rajacat9 likes this.
  3. Dec 29, 2018 at 7:29 PM
    trouttaco

trouttaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Ok let’s argue about the size of a Tacoma bed again.

transworldmoto and Jicka21 like this.
  4. Dec 29, 2018 at 7:30 PM
    trouttaco

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Awesome! Thanks for the tip. You always got the good Amazon links.

ace7196 likes this.
  5. Dec 29, 2018 at 8:09 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    It’s time to get more technical. The beds are the same size so we need to determine the exact internal volumes in cubic inches.

trouttaco likes this.
  6. Dec 29, 2018 at 8:32 PM
    henryrose

henryrose Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB Black
    I had my wife out with me in the cold (~20degrees) this week. We were comfortable but it did feel like we were near the bottom range in which the lil buddy is adequate without more insulation.

One funny issue we encountered was the latches for the roof getting frozen in, which resulted in some problem solving when it was time to head home. Winter trips for us often include driving through very heavy rains on the western slope of the cascades which leaves lots of water around to freeze when we get to the dry and cold side of the mountains.

I lubed them when we got home, and will try to remember to pop them out into the locked position next time we deploy in sub freezing temps so we can break the ice by whacking them.

huruta, aaen, trouttaco and 1 other person like this.
  7. Dec 29, 2018 at 9:02 PM
    ace7196

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yep. It's a thing I discovered too.
    For the panel latches, the BT9 makes a world of difference. The key slides in and locks/unlocks super easy.
    For the sliding pins...that helps a bit. Instead of using the latches to pull in the pins in (when trying to deploy), I've started to push in the actual cylinders (from the ends) to overcome the frozen-ness (if it occurs).
    I've only had it frozen once or twice. All other times it's been fine (for sub freezing temps).
    Use that Boeshield T9 (or equivalent) before a winter trip and it will help out quite a bit.

rajacat9 and trouttaco like this.
  8. Dec 29, 2018 at 9:36 PM
    trouttaco

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    I had my southco matches freeze while up at mt. Hood. After that freeze they all became a pain to get the key into. A few sprays of boeshield t9 brought them back to nearly better than new. Was very happy.

ace7196 likes this.
  9. Dec 29, 2018 at 9:38 PM
    ace7196

Member:
    Vehicle:
    What were you doing around Hood? Into hiking/snowshoeing/skiing/fatbiking? Always looking for more people who want to winter camp.

10. Dec 29, 2018 at 10:50 PM
    tonered

tonered tacorider

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 ACLB Sport 6MT BR
    OVT 2.0 87 Test (Order Number 3809), Functional Skewp, 7r41lbr34k3r knob, Debadge, Dechrome, MeSo switch panel and V4s
    Just use a measuring cup to fill them.

11. Dec 29, 2018 at 10:57 PM
    trouttaco

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Snowboarding right now. I’m mostly up at meadows.

ScenicCityOverland and ace7196 like this.
  12. Dec 30, 2018 at 8:01 AM
    satchmot

satchmot Member

Member:
    There have been a lot of user feedback items posted here regarding regular maintenance, use in cold climates, etc. Is there a maintenance FAQ or owner's manual either available (online via GFC page or hard copy/PDF download)? Something that would include recommended maintenance schedule like a car would be helpful for those of us that have erratic schedules or may be away from home (and vehicle) for extended periods of time? It would be a lot easier from the customer service perspective compared to reading through the most recent posts on TW once more get out into the wild and people start to provide feedback. Thanks in advance!

trouttaco likes this.
  13. Dec 30, 2018 at 8:26 AM
    ace7196

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Here's what (I think) has been accumulated so far. Maybe GFC can use this as a template/start. Timeline is totally arbitrary. Sunny areas are probably a lot better off than cold wet areas.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Things you need:
    Boeshield T9 (or equivalent)
    Paper towels (or something to catch drips/excess)
    Tool to remove accessory hole plugs

Every 6 months (or as required)
    1) Use Boeshield T9 or equivalent, and apply a small squirt into the six latches. Use the key to lock/unlock a few times to lubricate moving surfaces.
    2) Use Boeshield T9 or equivalent, and apply a small squirt into the two sliding pins latches. Slide it back and forth a bit.

Every year (or as required)
    1) Use Shurhold Snap Stick or equivalent, apply to zippers. Move zippers fully up and down a few times to work it in.
    2) Use Boeshield T9 or equivalent, and apply a small squirt into all the accessory holes.

14. Dec 30, 2018 at 9:13 AM
    2ayne

2ayne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zayne
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Bro
    2017 TOYOTA TACOMA TRD PRO ELECTRICAL & WIRING: * Pelfrybilt Battery Cage * X2 Power Group 31 Battery * Switch-Pros SP9100 * SDHQ Interior Cubby Switch Face Plate * Power Trays w/blue sea 8 fuse block, ground busbar, 8 terminal strip and 120A breaker. * ARB Single Air Compressor w/custom made passenger side mount. * Blue Sea 4356 12v socket, voltmeter, usb plug in bed w/ sea dog waterproof switch. * Hypertech Speedo Calibrator (Not Installed) LIGHTING: * Cougar LED H9 and H11 (High/Low Beams) * Super Bright LEDs Interior Bulbs & License Plate. * OZ-USA 40” Single Row Light Bar w/Halos * Baja Designs Amber Squadron-R Sport Ditch Lights. * Baja Designs Amber Squadron Sport Fog Lights. * Baja Designs Dome Light w/switch in bed. * Caliraised LED ditch light and Prinsu light brackets. OTHER: * 265/75R16 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W * OEM 2nd Gen Front Bed Rail * OEM Tacoma Bed Mat * OEM TRD Round Fog Light Bezels * Waterport Pressurized Water System * Taco Garage Dash Mount * Ram Mounts for IPhone and IPad * Center Console Organizer * Front Window Tint * Matte Black Tailgate Stickers * Husky Floor Mats (front) * Custom Gun Mount * Plano Roof Cases * Off Brand Recovery Boards * Prinsu Design Studio Cabrac * RCI Offroad Bed Rack * Tepui Kukenam Sky 3 Haze Grey Roof Top Tent. * Tepui Haze Grey 6’ Awning
    PM Sent

15. Dec 30, 2018 at 10:34 AM
    the_tacocamper

the_tacocamper The Taco Camper

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    -Prinsu designs cab rack -Southern Style slimline bumper -Smittybuilt XRC 9500 lbs winch -Cascadia 4x4 flipster -CBI off road ditch might brackets -KChilite flex dual ditch lights -Mountain Hatch tailgate reinforcement -Cali Raised LED faux TRD Pro grille -Cali Rasied LED bed stiffeners -Cali Raised LED 25 degree sliders -RCI metal works bed rack -RCI front skid plate -CVT Mt. Shasta Rooftop tent -K&N cold air intake -Tinted windows 15% -Chrome deleted (emblems/bumper) -Full size spare -OEM bed mat -Maxxtraxx SUSPENSION: -ARB BP-51s suspension w/reservoirs -OME heavy duty dakars -OME heavy springs -BFGoodrich KO2 285/70r17 -Method Roost race wheels INTERIOR: -Marathon seat covers -Hondo Garage phone mount -Ram ball mounts -Ram squeeze mount -LED interior lighting -Attic by Blue Ridge Overland -Weathertech Floor mats -Tacoma red dash inlay CAMP GEAR -Tembo Tusk skottle -Front Runner wolf packs (2) -Ruger 10/22 breakdown rifle -Waterport pressurized water system -Yeti Panga 28 backpack w/dry sidekick -Yeti Panga 50 duffel bag -Yeti Roadie 20 cooler -Rtic 65 cooler -Fiskars chopping axe and hatchet -Hyke and Byke down sleeping bag -10x10 Coleman easy up -Coleman two burner stove FUTURE MODS: -GFC Camper #184 (mid February-March) -CBI Rear bumper w/tire swingout -Bed drawer system -Bed lighting system -Wilco Offroad spare tire bedrail mount

I'm usually up camping around Hood area once or twice a month. Usually week days though because I work weekends.

ace7196 likes this.
  16. Dec 30, 2018 at 11:38 AM
    aaen

aaen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport BBP
    Kings, ARB Summit Bumper, SMittybilt Winch, vagabond Drifter, Prinsu Cabrac, Crusinoffroad slidersand rear bumper
    Use beeswax to lubricate the zippers. Go to michaels buy a big block and carry it with you or cut it up into small pieces.

The majority of zipper lubes are beeswax or a mixture of it. I bought one block 12 years ago and used it regularly on all my diving gear zippers. Its cheap, enviro friendly and works amazingly well, also jt doesnt melt In the heat as easy. In a ounch use bertie bees lip balm.

Speaking of which, I gotta lubricate my shadow awning zipper its getting a bit stiff from All the dv dust.

rajacat9, satchmot and ace7196 like this.
  17. Dec 30, 2018 at 11:40 AM
    ScenicCityOverland

ScenicCityOverland Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno Orange Tacoma TRD Pro
    Already sold! Sorry man.

2ayne likes this.
  18. Dec 31, 2018 at 9:48 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    @SoCalTacoTruck

19. Dec 31, 2018 at 10:05 AM
    SoCalTacoTruck

SoCalTacoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    I actually changed my mind to not giving it up, BUT, if a deal follows through in the bext day or two for a different camper, my spot will most definitely be for grabs!

2ayne likes this.
  20. Dec 31, 2018 at 10:07 AM
    2ayne

2ayne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zayne
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Bro
    2017 TOYOTA TACOMA TRD PRO ELECTRICAL & WIRING: * Pelfrybilt Battery Cage * X2 Power Group 31 Battery * Switch-Pros SP9100 * SDHQ Interior Cubby Switch Face Plate * Power Trays w/blue sea 8 fuse block, ground busbar, 8 terminal strip and 120A breaker. * ARB Single Air Compressor w/custom made passenger side mount. * Blue Sea 4356 12v socket, voltmeter, usb plug in bed w/ sea dog waterproof switch. * Hypertech Speedo Calibrator (Not Installed) LIGHTING: * Cougar LED H9 and H11 (High/Low Beams) * Super Bright LEDs Interior Bulbs & License Plate. * OZ-USA 40” Single Row Light Bar w/Halos * Baja Designs Amber Squadron-R Sport Ditch Lights. * Baja Designs Amber Squadron Sport Fog Lights. * Baja Designs Dome Light w/switch in bed. * Caliraised LED ditch light and Prinsu light brackets. OTHER: * 265/75R16 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W * OEM 2nd Gen Front Bed Rail * OEM Tacoma Bed Mat * OEM TRD Round Fog Light Bezels * Waterport Pressurized Water System * Taco Garage Dash Mount * Ram Mounts for IPhone and IPad * Center Console Organizer * Front Window Tint * Matte Black Tailgate Stickers * Husky Floor Mats (front) * Custom Gun Mount * Plano Roof Cases * Off Brand Recovery Boards * Prinsu Design Studio Cabrac * RCI Offroad Bed Rack * Tepui Kukenam Sky 3 Haze Grey Roof Top Tent. * Tepui Haze Grey 6’ Awning
    Sorry brother. Deleted my comment a little too late.
    I went full retard and just went ahead and put down the deposit before waiting on reply’s.

YOTA 4X4 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top