1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hondo Garage's New Thing

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by wileydavis, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Aug 7, 2019 at 1:06 PM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    Here’s an interesting article on living (one piece plastic) hinges.
    http://web.mit.edu/2.75/resources/random/Living Hinge Design.pdf
    The implication is that a properly designed and manufactured quality hinge should not fail due to flexure from hinging. Failures are due to other loads. Does GFC use an off-the-shelf hinge or is it custom? Given the length, it seems like it’s purchased as a continuous extrusion, and cut to length. Another design guide I looked at suggested that long hinges should be made up of molded 6” sections rather than a continuous long piece, and that extruded hinges are more prone to failure. Just speculation ... no suggestion that GFC’s design is inadequate.

2. Aug 7, 2019 at 1:18 PM
    mac_2_nite

mac_2_nite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mac
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport 4x4 w/ GFC
    Excellent 9 page read, I know so much now (after looking up a few words).

I will note that the replacement hinge sent to me was package flat/unbent and rolled. I suspect it was manufactured flat rather then bent, which is probably more ideal for the GFC application.

3. Aug 7, 2019 at 1:36 PM
    Borrego Taco

Borrego Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Excellent reference material.

The pressures at the ends are probably causing the failures. This can be due to the bulb seal underneath causing the hinge to not lay flat as in the pics posted by @mac_2_nite . It could also be made worse due to the gas strut pushing up in the corners due to the attachment points on the panels.

I’m interested in any permanent solution or temporary road fix. I’ve had no major issues with my gfc, I am very happy so far. However, I feel a hinge failure is probable in the future. I want to be able to deal with it on the road when it happens, or ideally fix it at home so it never does fail in the first place. I like the idea of the storm hinge or multiple sections of hinge so a split doesn’t go all the way across.

mac_2_nite, rajacat9 and PNW Explorer like this.
  4. Aug 7, 2019 at 3:35 PM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    I don’t have a GFC and have never seen one up close, but is the hinge attached in several locations. Or can it be? I wonder if cutting it up into several segments might reduce stress and also provide some redundancy.

5. Aug 7, 2019 at 4:12 PM
    lojack

lojack Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ahren
    South Shore, Wi
    Vehicle:
    19 DCSB OR CB
    I can only imagine that the camper is seeing stresses that your typical coleman cooler will never see.

That, and UV, salt (from road deicing and ocean air), and pollution, the plastic will degrade over time. It may not take a year, but it will happen. Add to that the constant road vibrations and flexing it sees in a 90 degree orientation... If it were easier to replace... I don't know.

I'm still excited for my GFC, which I won't have until next spring, but if it comes with these hinges, I may try to have my own solution ready.

6. Aug 7, 2019 at 4:25 PM
    Borrego Taco

Borrego Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Sections of hinge could be installed instead of a single continuous hinge. It might then have water ingress issues.

Just looking at it, the hinge does not have to go the length of the panel. Again, looking at the pics from @mac_2_nite , the hinge could stop right before the seal on both sides. In this case the hinge wouldn’t have to lay on top of the seal and create a non flat surface. Some sealant should prevent any water intrusion.

I also agree about plastic exposed to UV and the elements. Rated for 1 million uses in a lab is a lot different than 1 million uses in real life.

lojack likes this.
  7. Aug 8, 2019 at 1:14 PM
    Robjob

Robjob Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Southern Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDORQS
    Instead of sections maybe a simple 1/4” hole drilled about 6” from each end right in the bend ( I’m assuming that’s where the cracks run ) would stop a crack from going the entire length. Small dollop of black silicon to seal out the water. At least it would prevent the entire door coming off and give a heads up if the hinge starts to fail.
    As usual I’ve never seen a GFC so I have no idea what I’m talking about

JLink and ace7196 like this.
  8. Aug 8, 2019 at 1:28 PM
    tonered

tonered tacorider

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 ACLB Sport 6MT BR
    OVT 2.0 87 Test (Order Number 3809), Functional Skewp, 7r41lbr34k3r knob, Debadge, Dechrome, MeSo switch panel and V4s
    One thing that I see in your pictures is a rough cut of the material. Possibly with (hand?) shears. Beyond what else has been said, this hinge material appears to be notch sensitive. So, any flaw from a non-precise cut at the hingeline could propagate a crack also.

I do like the idea of somehow segmenting this hinge. Water then becomes a large problem. A tough backing material, like tyvek could give water a path to the end of the hinges?

9. Aug 8, 2019 at 4:00 PM
    lojack

lojack Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ahren
    South Shore, Wi
    Vehicle:
    19 DCSB OR CB
    There are all sorts of toppers out there with rear and side opening panels. What do they have for hinges?

*I haven't had a truck with a topper in almost twenty years so I honestly don't know! :)

10. Aug 8, 2019 at 4:32 PM
    harbs89

harbs89 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 5sp
    881 / Dakar AAL / Trail Gear / GFC
    @Robjob that could be the ticket. I have had both side panel hinges fail and both quickly replaced. I’ve had the camper for about 15 months (camper #21) and use the panels a lot while camping, but probably more at work grabbing tools and whatnot. No abuse, but heavy use. I’m going to run with the replacements and if they fail, stainless piano hinge with some peel and stick roof underlayment to seal them up. Kind of a bummer weak point on the camper, but the only one in my experience and a pretty easy fix

11. Aug 9, 2019 at 6:49 PM
    jolagues

jolagues New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Carmichael Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Colorado ZR2
    Just placed my order build #820 I know I have a ZR2 but you Toyota guys have more info on your forum

This is going to be a long wait.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 10:38 AM
  12. Aug 9, 2019 at 7:57 PM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA IG @MightyJoeFlannel

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR
    35" Trepadors w/ OMF Beadlocks, Kings, OBA, 5.29s etc
    Nice.

13. Aug 10, 2019 at 6:15 AM
    2ayne

2ayne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zayne
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Bro
    2017 TOYOTA TACOMA TRD PRO ELECTRICAL & WIRING: * Pelfrybilt Battery Cage * X2 Power Group 31 Battery * Switch-Pros SP9100 * SDHQ Interior Cubby Switch Face Plate * Power Trays w/blue sea 8 fuse block, ground busbar, 8 terminal strip and 120A breaker. * ARB Single Air Compressor w/custom made passenger side mount. * Blue Sea 4356 12v socket, voltmeter, usb plug in bed w/ sea dog waterproof switch. * Hypertech Speedo Calibrator (Not Installed) LIGHTING: * Cougar LED H9 and H11 (High/Low Beams) * Super Bright LEDs Interior Bulbs & License Plate. * OZ-USA 40” Single Row Light Bar w/Halos * Baja Designs Amber Squadron-R Sport Ditch Lights. * Baja Designs Amber Squadron Sport Fog Lights. * Baja Designs Dome Light w/switch in bed. * Caliraised LED ditch light and Prinsu light brackets. OTHER: * 265/75R16 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W * OEM 2nd Gen Front Bed Rail * OEM Tacoma Bed Mat * OEM TRD Round Fog Light Bezels * Waterport Pressurized Water System * Taco Garage Dash Mount * Ram Mounts for IPhone and IPad * Center Console Organizer * Front Window Tint * Matte Black Tailgate Stickers * Husky Floor Mats (front) * Custom Gun Mount * Plano Roof Cases * Off Brand Recovery Boards * Prinsu Design Studio Cabrac * RCI Offroad Bed Rack * Tepui Kukenam Sky 3 Haze Grey Roof Top Tent. * Tepui Haze Grey 6’ Awning
  14. Aug 10, 2019 at 7:49 AM
    ace7196

ace7196 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 4X4 V6 DCLB
    GFC Mods: http://bit.ly/GFCMods
    I didn't know they added that flap that goes over the extrusion until this video. I guess the rain gutter doesn't work as intended?

15. Aug 10, 2019 at 7:58 AM
    rtacowma

rtacowma Well-Known Member

Member:
    If I understand your statement correctly, the flap actually doesn't go "over" the extrusion. It is tucked into the extrusion.

16. Aug 10, 2019 at 8:55 AM
    ace7196

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Maybe I need to watch the video again. When the tent is open, the flap goes over the extrusion.

VE7OSR likes this.
  17. Aug 10, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    rtacowma

rtacowma Well-Known Member

Member:
    I could also easily be using it wrong. We are headed out tonight to use the go fast. I will take a picture and post back.

ace7196 likes this.
  18. Aug 10, 2019 at 11:24 AM
    2ayne

2ayne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zayne
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Bro
    2017 TOYOTA TACOMA TRD PRO ELECTRICAL & WIRING: * Pelfrybilt Battery Cage * X2 Power Group 31 Battery * Switch-Pros SP9100 * SDHQ Interior Cubby Switch Face Plate * Power Trays w/blue sea 8 fuse block, ground busbar, 8 terminal strip and 120A breaker. * ARB Single Air Compressor w/custom made passenger side mount. * Blue Sea 4356 12v socket, voltmeter, usb plug in bed w/ sea dog waterproof switch. * Hypertech Speedo Calibrator (Not Installed) LIGHTING: * Cougar LED H9 and H11 (High/Low Beams) * Super Bright LEDs Interior Bulbs & License Plate. * OZ-USA 40” Single Row Light Bar w/Halos * Baja Designs Amber Squadron-R Sport Ditch Lights. * Baja Designs Amber Squadron Sport Fog Lights. * Baja Designs Dome Light w/switch in bed. * Caliraised LED ditch light and Prinsu light brackets. OTHER: * 265/75R16 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W * OEM 2nd Gen Front Bed Rail * OEM Tacoma Bed Mat * OEM TRD Round Fog Light Bezels * Waterport Pressurized Water System * Taco Garage Dash Mount * Ram Mounts for IPhone and IPad * Center Console Organizer * Front Window Tint * Matte Black Tailgate Stickers * Husky Floor Mats (front) * Custom Gun Mount * Plano Roof Cases * Off Brand Recovery Boards * Prinsu Design Studio Cabrac * RCI Offroad Bed Rack * Tepui Kukenam Sky 3 Haze Grey Roof Top Tent. * Tepui Haze Grey 6’ Awning
    If you flip it down over the extrusion when it’s open the left and right sides would just fall down because it’s only connected towards the center.
    I think it’s to keep water from running into the bottom of the screen when both the window and “door” are closed.

ace7196 likes this.
  19. Aug 10, 2019 at 5:35 PM
    ace7196

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sorry guys, it's just me with my first gen fabric over here. I have no idea what I'm talking about

YOTA 4X4, PNW Explorer and mac_2_nite like this.
  20. Aug 11, 2019 at 6:03 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Yea the video probably doesn’t give a good explanation of that flap.

It gets velcroed up between the door and the screen like @2ayne said while in use.

Products Discussed in

To Top