1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hondo Garage's New Thing

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by wileydavis, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Mar 3, 2018 at 7:27 AM
    smelly621

smelly621 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC TRDOR 6MT
    It's DLX son!
    Just so door ding and wiley know, driving with the top open was suggested as a joke. I was picturing it playing out like the Top Gear custom build challenges, such as their amphibious cars or the like. Didn't mean to get you stressed out about the safety of my passengers or possible warranty claims.

@jp88 The 3RZ is a tough albiet slow cookie. It took my 03 Taco over the Sierra many times and was always very reliable. I had a shell with poor aerodynamics, 2nd battery, bumpers front and rear and sliders all putting it over 4k lbs before I even loaded any camping gear. Steep grades did sometimes require spinning the bejesus out of it in 3rd gear, but it never seemed to mind. I had a simple add-a-leaf for years that kept it from sagging from the shell or hauling materials for house projects, but eventually bought OME dakar leaf packs and for the price wished I had gone straight to that option instead of the AAL. I removed one of the leaves to keep them from adding quite so much lift. In the front I had Icon Coilovers, but set to ride at stock height. They were great on and off road, but something like the adjustable 5100s would probably be just as good in 85% of driving conditions and a lot cheaper.

The most important thing I think you could do is check your valve clearances if you never have, and adjust if required. I checked mine at about your mileage and found almost all the exhaust valves needing adjustment. If you read around you will find many instances of folks burning valves on that motor because most people never touch them. Same arrangement on the 5VZ, but I didn't hear as many reports of them burning valves - not sure why.

jp88, gmacmt and wileydavis[OP] like this.
  2. Mar 3, 2018 at 6:08 PM
    gmacmt

gmacmt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Graeme
    Montucky
    Vehicle:
    98 taco, Ram on 40's
    I am still gonna flag any future products shipping to smelly621 as potential warranty issues ;)

Thats good beta on the 4 cyl. Valve clearance is tantamount to longevity of that engine. My friend's just failed and needs a complete rebuild at 205k because of it. The motor is strong but slow, and can be a workhorse when properly maintained.

On the whole @jp88 the big consideration is total payload. How much weight do you actually plan to carry? The GFC camper is only a (lightweight, super high quality, USA made) portion of what you have in and on the truck. If you can quantify a ballpark of that number, it would probably be the best way to determine whether or not the motor (or the first gen tacoma platform more generally) fits your needs.

If you want to carry lots of weight, the frame is not incredibly robust on the first gen trucks, so plating the frame may be in the cards especially with heavy off-road use. http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/products/1st-gen-toyota-tacoma-products/1st-gen-tacoma-frame-plates/

On the spring side of things, OME, deaver, alcan would all likely make something suitable for your payload. If you plan to carry variable weights and don't want the truck to drive terribly unloaded, air bags may be something to look into. I would be more worried about the chassis and driving dynamics than the motor.

3. Mar 3, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    I would DEFINITELY listen to this guy! He’s the other half of GFC and has a lot of experience, to say the least, with Expo rigs. The idea behind the GFC at least to me is to run light and fast. If you’re the type to bring everything and the kitchen sink perhaps a different truck platform (even a newer Taco) might be a good plan! If you can stay true to light and fast. Stick with your platform. Nice thing with the GFC is that if you change to a new truck down the road you can buy a new frame and move the tent portion to your new vehicle.

FYI TOYOTA still has 0% for 60mths on left over 17’s. :spending:

Maybe it’s a sign.

Willbeck and DoorDing like this.
  4. Mar 3, 2018 at 8:16 PM
    YOTA 4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    X2

I just left a 3/4 ton full size platform. To me less can be more. Evaluate your style and choose appropriately.

DoorDing likes this.
  5. Mar 4, 2018 at 9:44 AM
    bigdood

bigdood Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think after 198k miles you can safely stop worrying about prematurely killing the engine/tranny :rofl:

YOTA 4X4 and DoorDing like this.
  6. Mar 5, 2018 at 7:11 PM
    Evanike

Evanike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Encinitas, CA
    GFC Camper, OME Suspension
    Any more updates, photos, or videos!? @wileydavis it’s been quiet... tooo quite, I’m so excited to see the first production units!!

7. Mar 5, 2018 at 7:15 PM
    Ralston

Ralston Well-Known Member

Member:
    High in the Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Super White - 4x4 - TRD Off Road
    they're busy at the moment...
    [​IMG]

Evanike, Shellshock, ETAV8R and 3 others like this.
  8. Mar 5, 2018 at 9:05 PM
    shortround13

shortround13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 DblCab TRD 4x4
    An email I got from them mentioned the middle of the month might have some finished production units.....for what it's worth.
    I'm just gonna patiently wait and try not to go crazy!

YOTA 4X4 and DoorDing like this.
  9. Mar 5, 2018 at 9:29 PM
    YOTA 4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    :annoyed:

Yes.... patiently.

All joking aside i saw the same thing. Those guys are flat out right now. I’m not to sure they were anticipating such an overwhelming reception. Can’t wait to see the first two “rental” units they mentioned being built.

-Yota

10. Mar 6, 2018 at 7:36 AM
    COdude3

COdude3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Access Cab 4x4
    Pro Grille, Pro Whls, King Shocks, 265/75R16 A/T3
    Awesome! Thanks for helping all us procrastinators out. I have a lot of respect for the first buyers that take the plunge without seeing the first production units.

11. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:06 AM
    unclewilson

unclewilson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wilson
    Michigan or Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Several
    Lots
    I can't wait for the first walk through video :thumbsup:

12. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:34 AM
    Evanike

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Encinitas, CA
    What’s your Instagram handle!

Jim Bob likes this.
  13. Mar 6, 2018 at 8:36 AM
    Evanike

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Encinitas, CA
    I’m an idiot just found it on your profile page! Thanks _jim_bob!

Jim Bob likes this.
  14. Mar 6, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    unclewilson

unclewilson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wilson
    Michigan or Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Several
    Lots
    @inv3ctiv3

Just curious what you've found with your experience with Flippac and why you're moving to the GFC?

LooneytuneSR5 likes this.
  15. Mar 6, 2018 at 3:27 PM
    smelly621

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC TRDOR 6MT
    It's DLX son!
    Yep, flippac fiddliness was what never made it, or many other RTTs remotely attractive.

I am hoping the the stowing of the tent is truly as easy as they say - as I'm committed at this point.

The fact that they never shot a video of it being packed down is slightly of concern, but I am hoping they're just too psyched on getting them built to keep up with our demand for media. :fingerscrossed:

DoorDing likes this.
  16. Mar 6, 2018 at 3:29 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Considering how easy it is to fold up a RTT..id imagine this one is very easy.

Plus be simple to add some loops on each side and include some small elastic straps with clips to crisscross across the tent to help pull in the fabric. My first CVT had these and they helped.

17. Mar 7, 2018 at 12:55 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    They could also mimic FWC and add light duty D-ring on the internal sides of the tent with a bungee. This pulls the tent fabric in when the roof is closed.

YOTA 4X4 likes this.
  18. Mar 7, 2018 at 4:28 AM
    YOTA 4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    Yes, this GFC is so high speed low drag, only Carbon Fiber will do!!!

gmacmt and ace7196 like this.
  19. Mar 7, 2018 at 7:05 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    My cousin had a Type II Westy. Even if there was nothing to assist in the GFC, it is stupid easy to get the top down, fabric in, and roll out.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    YOTA 4X4 likes this.
  20. Mar 7, 2018 at 7:25 AM
    smelly621

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC TRDOR 6MT
    It's DLX son!
    I have seen the picture of them testing some LED light strips - I would be floored if it was actually a magic illuminated lasso that was also for pulling the roof down!

In other news, I put my shell from my 1st gen on the new to me 2011 last night to tide me over while I wait for my GFC. It's making my new ride look dumpy.... Go faster Go Fast Campers!!!!

socalktk likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top