1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hondo Garage's New Thing

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by wileydavis, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Apr 1, 2018 at 7:49 PM
    COdude3

COdude3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Access Cab 4x4
    Pro Grille, Pro Whls, King Shocks, 265/75R16 A/T3
    Will you still offer the orange powder coated frame color option?

2. Apr 1, 2018 at 7:58 PM
    gmacmt

gmacmt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Graeme
    Montucky
    Vehicle:
    98 taco, Ram on 40's
    Yes, we will offer international orange and forged charcoal as color options on the frame. Gonna get some color samples to show off this week.

eyemajeenyus, tonered and VE7OSR like this.
  3. Apr 1, 2018 at 8:07 PM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    Do it!! Price out a good cap that can handle a RTT and a quality RTT, you’re about there in price and no where near as rugged. Not to mention the GFC will be lighter. This has way more livable space for blow days, and you can still mount stuff on the roof, unlike when a tent is in the way.

4. Apr 1, 2018 at 8:09 PM
    2016trdtacoma

2016trdtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    OV Tuned 16 TRD OR 6MT
    Agreed. I have already looked. A cap is about 2k and a good RRT is anywhere between 2-3.5k. Butt, that is does not include the cost of a rack on the cap to mount the RTT. So add at least another 500 for a rack, and the price is near 4.5-5k.

5. Apr 1, 2018 at 8:31 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    The fully opening sides are very slick. I had thought of internal screen panels but your idea is even better for when in camp.

DoorDing likes this.
  6. Apr 1, 2018 at 10:03 PM
    gman36

gman36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement DCSB OR
    What’s the lead time right now for a short bed?

7. Apr 1, 2018 at 10:30 PM
    YOTA 4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    I’m curious as well, GFC originally said they planned on 15 a week as a realistic production goal. What’s the highest order number someone on here has? I’m 41, but i know there’s many more after that. Plus the new shop “may” speed things up?

I’d also assume there’s going to have to be some time to design the frame for the GM twins, Fords and 1st Gen Tacos.

Certainly don’t want to pry any personal info out but i wonder how many paid commitments they have right now.

8. Apr 1, 2018 at 11:24 PM
    trouttaco

trouttaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    I’m 45...... patiently waiting for a pickup date..

YOTA 4X4 likes this.
  9. Apr 2, 2018 at 3:37 AM
    I_eat_tacos

I_eat_tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    I’m a ZR2 owner and in the last batch of the initial 60 being built. But my preorder number was 112. So there’s still 60 or so preorders that aren’t fully paid or that cancelled. My lead time puts my build time around June but that’s not compensating for any lean principles and kinks for them to work out. I’d hope they can get the first 60 out by end of May but expect middle to end of June.

Willbeck and YOTA 4X4 like this.
  10. Apr 2, 2018 at 4:03 AM
    YOTA 4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    I do think the boys mentioned any transaction that was processed on their website counted as one, so if you put a deposit down that added 1, and if you paid in full that added another. So the total number could be less than your pre-order number for sure. And of course some of us paid by check so that won’t show... and to farther complicate things if you paid in full fast you moved up in line it was all sorted using the same algorithm that Wallstreet uses to calculate derivatives. Or something....

7662CB13-FBD2-45D7-B569-F528DAA464EA.jpg

Awesome I kinda want to see one of these on a ZR2. They’re pretty sharp looking trucks.

(Forgive me TW)

Funny screen name

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    T4RFTMFW and Willbeck like this.
  11. Apr 2, 2018 at 5:20 AM
    I_eat_tacos

Member:
    I should be one of the first ZR2’s (from what I can tell I am the only one so far) with one. Stoked to see what it looks like on! I only wish I preordered sooner, but either way my bonus didn’t come till March anyways....I think I am dead last from the initial 60, but should be about perfect timing for Michigan weather by then! Curious what some people have planned for interior setups, so it gives me time to refine some ideas I have.

12. Apr 2, 2018 at 5:58 AM
    YOTA 4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    Well i can tell you what I’m going to do with my interior.

Decked drawer system to create a flat floor and put all my storage and camping items into the drawers.

Passenger side of vehicle ARB 63 qt fridge (that’s the low long one) mounted to an Alu-cab slide. Once i get my GFC i plan on fab’ing a little “box” out of aluminum over it that allows the single long cushion or two small cushions to rest in it to create a bench seat inside the truck. Which should be about the right height to use the other cushion as a work bench/ desk when I’m sitting. Remember the decked is 12” above floor level.

Clothing goes in the back seat in a Rubbermaid one for me or one for me and my wife if needed. Laundry bag stuffed in there too for visiting the laundry Mat.

Not 100% sure on water storage, I’m thinking back seat floor though I’d sure hate to have a leak and not know it...

I want to keep the interior or my bed fairly spartan so I’m not tripping over things trying to get in and out. We travel light, couple Helinox chairs, roll up table, basic cooking stove. I also have an MSR windburner that i plan on using for coffee and for instant meals so i don’t have to leave the truck bed on any really bad days, and a ram mount that clamps to the DOM frame so i can move my iPad in from the truck cab to the bed for “tv” if it’s really really bad.

Kayaks and fishing poles on the roof as this is more of a “fishing expedition” vehicle for me. That’s my thoughts anyway feel free to comment. Thanks

-YOTA

13. Apr 2, 2018 at 6:27 AM
    COdude3

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Access Cab 4x4
    I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of a camper with a rear window.

14. Apr 2, 2018 at 6:31 AM
    COdude3

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Access Cab 4x4
    I'm on the same page as you. My setup will be for fly fishing/overland expedition!

trouttaco and YOTA 4X4[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Apr 2, 2018 at 6:40 AM
    henryrose

henryrose Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB Black
    I’m order 61 and am expecting mine in July (but hopeful it may be in June)

I’m just loving all the great pictures and video of #1. Stoke level is very high at our house.

Willbeck likes this.
  16. Apr 2, 2018 at 7:33 AM
    I_eat_tacos

Member:
    I am more along the route that I want to take longer trips around the whole US and smaller trips on 3 day weekends. Ideally a great setup includes being able to haul all my backpacking gear, mountain biking gear and have an easy to use camping setup as well. I don’t care too much about being able to hang out inside the truck as I’d rather be outside, so an awning is probably in my future. The only time I'd rather be inside is during winter or rain traveling.

I do love organization and having that is key to traveling, so either a decked system or my own custom solution is looking appealing. But also having a goose gear type setup is drool worthy. You can make it yourself, if you have time, with https://www.t-nuts.com and a birch plywood supplier (few online) and have most things made for about same price as a decked system. Really am leaning more towards making my own platform and storage solution as the decked systems really destroys a lot of precious interior room below the platform. Everything is a compromise and I’m always busy with work or traveling, so the decked system might end up in my truck anyways.

I think the bike packing idea GFC seems to be fond of sounds pretty sweet too. http://www.bikepacking.com/bikes/joe-cruz-seven-treeline-sl/ . Using the triangle part of the frame as storage solutions to mount too. Would be great for recovery and first aid equipment. Would also make a great mount for extra gas storage if they were to weld up a spare tank.

For food and such the camp chef table is looking pretty great at $100. Especially if you can just mount it to a decked system or platform for indoor and outdoor cooking. For the time being a cooler is my route rather than a fridge for a few reasons, but either way being able to mount that and/or a fridge in the future is a huge plus. I would love to see some flip down brackets made to hold the metal platform below the bed so we can make a couch out of it for bad weather days. Water storage will probably be mounted to the platform or under it ideally, maybe a custom box for it with a heater for showers. Will definitely need a few tanks or one large one for two people and a dog.

I change my mind a ton so who knows where I’ll be, but the decked system is great especially for DD’s and folks that want to preserve the truck bed and also crave storage solutions. Pretty much fits me as a customer. Once someone gets that system setup I’m very interested in the functionality and looks of it with the GFC. I also hate when things move around and fall over during washboard driving or jumping over dunes :cool:. Should be a competition for who can jump the highest with a GFC.

17. Apr 2, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    bagtagley

bagtagley Well-Known Member

Member:
    @ace7196 I'd love to see what you come up with. I'm in a similar boat. My bike lives under the topper year-round.

What I want is the ability to keep the bike back there, but be able to take it out and have a full platform for the kids to sleep on. I'm thinking a hinged section that flips over to open up the space along the driver side for the bike.

ace7196 likes this.
  18. Apr 2, 2018 at 9:09 AM
    bigdood

bigdood Well-Known Member

Member:
    How's the quality of the mattresses/sewing? It looks so loose and cheap, like my $5 West Marine throw cushions, but I'm guessing it's NOT given the quality of everything else.

19. Apr 2, 2018 at 10:20 AM
    Willbeck

Willbeck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    00 Reg Cab 4x4
    Bug deflector
    What are the dimensions of the ARB? You might be able to put a water tank under the same aluminum structure as the fridge.

20. Apr 2, 2018 at 12:12 PM
    gman36

gman36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement DCSB OR
    How is everyone planning on getting their campers? Especially us on the coast. Has there been talks about shipping? Or is everyone planning on driving to Montana to pick it up?

Products Discussed in

To Top