1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hood swap question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by indycross, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Jul 9, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    indycross

indycross [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
    So i am planning on starting the mods (finally) to my truck to make it just like i want it. The first two things am planning on doing is swapping out my SR5 hood and chrome grill for color matched MMG versions.

The main question involves the hood. I am planning on buying the TRD version of the hood (with the scoop) and was already at the dealership so i thought why the hell not... let me price check. (BTW my wife's 4Runner is bad ass!)

The parts guy basically wrote me off because there were "a lot of parts involved with the hood and scoop, and that i should find one on eBay." I went to the dealership to get original Toyota parts so as not to worry about the fit or color match... I'm not sure how much of a pain in the ass ordering a hood is supposed to be, but i could be wrong.

My question: Has anybody else looked into a hood swap like this? And if so are there any other venues that I might be able to explore because the dealership wanted nothing to do with this...? I'm looking for quality because ill have my truck for life (hence the dealership being my starting place)

Thanks for any help yall may have!!!!

2. Jul 9, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Dbl Cab LB 4x4 TRD
    Toytec CO's, IRONMAN rear leaf pack, All pro front bumper, Body Armor rear bumper, BA steps MB TKO's w/285/75/16 Terra Grapplers, Bakflip tonneau cover, autopage remote start alarm, Ultragauge
    Would be too pricey from the stealership. Post or browse the TW buy/sell/trade section along with CL. Sometimes the Sport owners are looking to swap, rare but does happen. Many here buy the certifit hoods, aftermarket replacement for under $200 and then take it to the paint shop to color match the truck..

[​IMG]

3. Jul 9, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I think there is a guy on here that is wanting to swap his scooped hood for a regular one but good luck on finding him.:eek: I'm not sure if he even still has it.:rolleyes:

4. Jul 9, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    michaelmad21

michaelmad21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    El Paso, Tx
    I just ordered mine form the delarship mine had hail damage got mine for $320 including tax $75 for the paint. Discounted ....Actual price was 400something. I would go with keystone rather than certifit better quality

5. Jul 9, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    whitebread

whitebread Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 DCSB TRD Off-Road
    Leer 100XL and a bunch of off-roading scars.
    I would love to get rid of my hood...the damn scoop is embarrassing. But it is the wrong color and you are far away.

6. Jul 10, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    indycross

indycross [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
    Thanks for yall's help! Actually I am in the process of purchasing a sport hood off of a Tacoma World member! I guess it was meant to be!!!! :D

To Top