1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hood Un-bonding, 3rd Gen

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by eurowner, May 9, 2019.

1. May 19, 2019 at 4:25 PM
    eurowner

eurowner [OP] Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    The Syncro Ranch, Salida ColoRADo
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR DCLB FTMFWBBQ Silver Sky Met
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
    We know that this a 2nd Gen problem and now infecting the 3rd Gen. I know 3rd Gen TW members have installed sealant under Toyota warranty with and without painting the hood, some have got a new hood under warranty, and some did the sealant themselves.

My specific question on my first post was if any Co 3rd Gen owners have had their local Co dealer do the repair. A friend wth a '18 3rd Gen SR5 has the stock sealant already failing.

The person I talked with at Pueblo had not heard of the situation before, not her fault, and asked her fellow employees. Yet she emailed me Friday asking for my local body shop to email her the quote to seal the hood. The guy at the body shop knew about the correct sealant and this is a situation with other makes, not just the Tacoma.

2. Jun 7, 2019 at 2:54 PM
    eurowner

eurowner [OP] Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
    I'll see how long this repair lasts, they added sealant in between the failed stuff.
    IMG_20190607_154253869.jpg IMG_20190607_154259726.jpg IMG_20190607_154308344.jpg

3. Jun 20, 2019 at 8:06 AM
    o313

o313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    N
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB AT SC
    Did you do that or was that the dealer repair?

4. Jun 20, 2019 at 8:21 AM
    eurowner

eurowner [OP] Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    Vehicle:
    Dealer request, post 22, to bring the truck to my local body shop for the repair. I live 1.5 hours one way from Pueblo Toyota.

5. Jun 20, 2019 at 9:25 AM
    o313

o313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    N
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB AT SC
    I'm not an adhesives engineer but I would be suspect of squirting glue in between already failed spots of adhesive to fix it. My truck is in getting the hood "fixed" and I am going to come unglued if they do the same thing to mine. Toyota is really falling down on the initial quality

Check any adhesive you have and see if any of them say to squirt a glob right onto a failed substrate. :facepalm:

6. Jun 20, 2019 at 4:02 PM
    eurowner

eurowner [OP] Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    Vehicle:
    This is the first step through Pueblo Toyota warranty. If it does not hold up, then its between the body shop and PT.

7. Jan 10, 2021 at 1:59 PM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    Have them check the tailgate while you’re at it. Same problem there.

o313 likes this.
  8. Jan 10, 2021 at 3:01 PM
    eurowner

eurowner [OP] Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    Vehicle:
    First I’d have heard of this, would you post some posts to tailgate un-bonding?

9. Jan 10, 2021 at 3:34 PM
    bagleboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    No pics but I’ve opened mine up to see about replacing the deck with something more knee friendly and saw that the same adhesive is used in too small amounts on some tabs and is the only support the sheet metal has between the edges.

10. Jan 10, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    Banggerr

Banggerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Annoyingly I brought it up to the dealership when I brought my truck in last time. I could only explain it to them on the phone and show pictures and they claimed it was how they all are and it’s just there to keep it from metal chattering on another metal... idk mine doesn’t flex much unless it’s windy on the highway

11. Jan 10, 2021 at 8:14 PM
    bagleboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    BS copout. Common failure is still failure. The spots will continue to let go one by one until it’s only held around the perimeter.

12. Jan 11, 2021 at 9:35 PM
    o313

o313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    N
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB AT SC
    This!

Funny this thread came up, my truck is currently in the process of getting the hood re-glued for the third time. The other option is Toyota will finally "give in" and replace the hood with an un-painted replacement that gets painted by the local autobody shop.

13. Jan 13, 2021 at 10:35 PM
    o313

o313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    N
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB AT SC
    Would you prefer the replacement with a Maaco paint job or keep the factory hood?

Products Discussed in

To Top