1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HOOKE ROAD Roof Rack...............Ubox-offroad.com

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jimlmackjr, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Mar 9, 2023 at 7:20 AM
    Jlarios956

Jlarios956 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josue
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen PreRunner
    Sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone know where I can get spare mounting hardware?

2. Mar 9, 2023 at 10:10 AM
    BigCountry762x39

BigCountry762x39 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TL
    PNW, Oregon!
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma, with the cool white paint peel
    Arb Deluxe bull bar Front Bumper Ironman4x4 12k winch synth line AFE Intake OME 2.75in Dakar Leaf springs (R) Fox 2.0 bypass shocks (R) Bilstein 6112 (F) 33's on KMC wheels off road lighting comfort mods Redrock HD roof rack Retevis rt95 Radio Slotted Rotors and HD pads
    spare hardware id be willing to bet most of that is M8-1.25-20, maybe even as short at M8-1.25-12 for some items, someone chime in with a Hooke Road but every roof rack I've been involved in installing is an M8 bolt, unless its the one going into the roof then its something else.

Jlarios956[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Mar 9, 2023 at 10:45 AM
    Jlarios956

Member:
    First Name:
    Josue
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen PreRunner
    Yeah I’m actually looking for the hardware that mounts the rack to the roof lol. I scored one for practically free off a buddy of mine but with no hardware

4. Mar 9, 2023 at 11:24 AM
    BigCountry762x39

Member:
    First Name:
    TL
    PNW, Oregon!
    Vehicle:
    Arb Deluxe bull bar Front Bumper Ironman4x4 12k winch synth line AFE Intake OME 2.75in Dakar Leaf springs (R) Fox 2.0 bypass shocks (R) Bilstein 6112 (F) 33's on KMC wheels off road lighting comfort mods Redrock HD roof rack Retevis rt95 Radio Slotted Rotors and HD pads
    I think those are M6-1.0x40 they are a button cap screw so something with a nice wide head to hold the rack to the roof. also grab some good silicone I squeezed some into each hole, to make sure there weren't any leaks, then put the bolts in.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  5. Mar 9, 2023 at 11:57 AM
    Jlarios956

Member:
    First Name:
    Josue
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen PreRunner
    Wow thank you all for the guidance man! Way better than all the FB groups lol. So what should I be expecting to purchase for the hardware? If I remember correctly it’s like 6 bolts on each side of the cab for the OEM rack, but aside from that is there anything else I’m missing?

BigCountry762x39 likes this.
  6. Mar 9, 2023 at 11:57 AM
    BigCountry762x39

Member:
    First Name:
    TL
    PNW, Oregon!
    Vehicle:
    oh good question without seeing whats there and yes if its like my rack 6 bolts per side. and likely not, if you get a chance grab some U shaped trim for that front fairing helps keep the rack from vibrating at speed, I've a Redrock4x4 rack and it shook my whole truck at highway speeds. I have some flat washers on my roof rack bolts and some Split washers on that to keep things from coming loose. youre welcome to send me a message if needed

7. Mar 31, 2023 at 10:05 AM
    TacoDelSole

TacoDelSole Member

Member:
    okay, ive now read through all 60 pages of this thread and decided to take the risk on the new version with the integrated light bar. just got it installed and ive got to say, im happy i rolled the dice! very solid and they seem to have corrected a lot of issues people were having with the old version. the package did come slightly damaged, but their customer support was actually great. under 24 hour response time (they are in china, so usually middle of the night) they ended up refunding me $40 for the damages and elbow grease of touching them up etc. and sent me the missing hardware that fell out due to damage. for $250, you really cant beat it.

there is not a lot out there on this version, so here's a quick list of a couple things I've noticed thus far (hopefully it'll save someone some headache/confusion). I'm still tweaking a couple things, so ill report back with any meaningful developments.

so far:
    • its chonky. listing says 55lbs, but that's way off...closer to 70lbs.
    • the mounting brackets are not universal. the straight ones are for the back and angled ones up front. also, the mounting plate should be closest to the outside of the roof (itll make sense when you get it, but took me a couple beers to figure out placement/orientation)
    • i didn't follow the directions. started with brackets>side rails>deflector>cross beams front to back. (its been mentioned before, but the widest ones go up front and get smaller towards the back (also noted before, but the small cutout on the crossbeams goes towards the back to prevent wind noise)) a little bit of "dry fitting" and measuring is a good idea to make sure you get a good fit of the side rails and wind deflector prior to adding the cross rails.
    • for the love of god, put a heavy blanket down on the roof during install.
    • the clearance between the side rail and roof is tight...almost too tight. the brackets/rails are slotted for adjustment and getting the front as low as possible helps seal the front weather strip on the deflector, but gets it uncomfortable close to the painted bits. (more on this later)
    • no issues with shark fin clearance.
    • the light is plenty bright, but how long it holds up is TBD. cant really complain at this price point.
    • obviously preference, but i really like the way it looks.
    • only took it up to 60 so far en route to the depot of home, and the wind noise is not terrible, but definitely present. (with some tweaking im confident this can be greatly improved)
    whats next:
    • the front and center of the side rails follow the roof line pretty well, but lowering them all the way is not possible without getting danger close to painted bits...if not into them. taking body flex into account, i still have it higher than id like and cant get the wind deflector perfectly snug with the weather stripping. with some not-so-gentle coaxing, i think i can get them formed to they can follow the weather stripping and almost sit flush, tucked into the channel. gonna put a bog old pipe clamp across and give er the squeeze treatment.
    • tucked some pipe insulation under the deflector and that certainly helped, but i still think it can be improved with the aforementioned fixins. also goint to tuck them under each cross rail out of an abundance of caution to prevent flex/vibrations into the roof.
    • seen some pretty satisfying fitment of solar panels in the old one posted here...hoping mine does as well. TBD
    • of course all the staples of having a rack to follow. harbor freight pelican cases, water/shower to keep the wife happy, and diesel heater mounted so it can be almost directly into the RTT (also to keep the wife happy)
    i think that just about covers it, but let me know if theres anything else.

Okay...Pictures:
    Pain getting them off my phone, but i dont wanna get one of these :worthless:so here ya go ya wild hyenas
    (yes, roast away about the stock rims/tires... but im cheap and wanna beat the piss out of these before i get new ones. they're on the list)

20230331_094701.jpg 20230330_185000.jpg 20230330_181432.jpg 20230331_094616.jpg 20230331_094633.jpg

8. May 30, 2023 at 2:09 PM
    BigCountry762x39

Member:
    First Name:
    TL
    PNW, Oregon!
    Vehicle:
    you know i have to say its not been a bad rack so far, its held up well not super heavy or anything weight wise. Just wish they put in more T nuts, and the hardware was black instead of the steel color. the gasket has held up well and everything so far I've bolted up to the rack has held up just fine.

and they could have included some M8 1.25x12-16 range in case you have something shallow to mount to the M8 nuts in the tracks.

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  9. May 30, 2023 at 3:59 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    a rack is a rack. On one side if I kept mine it’d be cool because right now I’d be able to have things mounted to it.

sold my Hooke for a not bad price

Sherpa would be nice. Stronger than Prinsu but no front fairing decal option.
    Match it with a rear shell rack maybe.
    But all that shits like $2k.
    Would definitely look good and become permanent.

Had my Hooke front fairing set low with a trim strip on it. I know these trucks aren’t meant for speed. But at speed it would buffet and shake almost like hitting a certain frequency. Like a death wobble.
    Reduced MPG (which is a given)
    and added a lot of wind noise making it hard to have a conversation in the truck like with a passenger on an hour drive to a trail.
    I don’t know how much a difference it would make to remove the headliner with a rack, and slap deadening insulation on the ceiling.

I don’t think Hooke makes a matching shell rack either. Mine may have come with black hardware though it was pretty soft metal good for maybe one use before it strips out despite carefully using high quality tools.

10. May 31, 2023 at 8:20 AM
    BigCountry762x39

Member:
    First Name:
    TL
    PNW, Oregon!
    Vehicle:
    oh for sure they have a bad vibration. I put mine on in my driveway started to get dark so I pulled it into my shop to wrap it up didn't do anything to set the wind fairing at all. drove to work the next morning like i was inside of a drum. truck shook so bat at 45- 65mph sounded like you were next to a small airplane. little bit of tweaking and it's been pretty good though i do need to check on it moved some of the mounting bolts around and notice a slight vibration at 60mph

Products Discussed in

To Top