1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hopefully soon to be Taco Newbie!!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by TacoNoire, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Jan 24, 2012 at 2:24 AM
    TacoNoire

TacoNoire [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    أينما كن
    Vehicle:
    يتضمن ك
    Coming soon....
    Hello! I just put a deposit on a 2006 Tacoma SR5 4x4 extended cab, black/grey with 96k miles. I got a deal of $13,000 + $500 dealer fee. I did a full auto check and the truck had one owner and was never involved in an accident and the title is clear.

The car is located in NY and I'm in Ohio so I will be having the toyota dealership do a full inspection before I pay cash for it. I was going to
    fly out and drive it back but I've decided to have it shipped for $500, if
    everything checks out with the inspection of the car at the Toyota dealership.

I just sold my near mint 98 Lexus SC 400 platinum/black (fairly rare), and before that I owned a 92 Lexus SC300. I've had a Lexus SC for 12 years! So I'm switching forums from Club Lexus to here.

I've always wanted a Tacoma but waited for the right deal to come through, the time is now. I know 96k miles for the tacoma is nothing, especially for a 1 owner truck that was never used for towing. My former 92 Lexus SC300 had 225,000 miles when I sold it.

Question: Is there anything I need to look out for with the 2006 Tacoma? Did I get a decent deal (if everything checks out)?

2005+ 4x4 tacoma ext cabs under $15k are extremely hard to find as they are a highly sought after truck and sell quick. I've been looking for a tacoma deal for a long time. I was going to buy new but I don't want a monthly car payment and a truck that's too perfect b/c I want to 4 wheel with it on occasion.I'd hate to have to leave a brand new 2012 tacoma in a ditch or wrapped around a tree somewhere in the smokey or rocky mountains. lol

If everything goes well and I get the truck I will be adding the following mods: 18" black wheels, dark tint (legal on sides and 90% in back), add a double din radio/DVD, possibly leather or neoprene seat covers (Katskins), rear bed AC outlet and possibly smoked headlight covers for the murdered out look.

Any other mod suggestions? I hear the ride can be kind of rough on these tacomas, is there anything I can do to make ride smoother such as upgraded suspension and tires? I'm a total newbie when it comes to these tacomas. In the past I've owned nissan frontiers for a short period of time.

Here are pics of the tacoma 4x4 I will hopefully be closing on:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jan 24, 2012 at 3:06 AM
    brians05taco

brians05taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lafayette,La.
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner white debadged 4.0
    lifted, bedcover,BHLM, grill, etc...
    nice choice

3. Jan 24, 2012 at 3:15 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 GO VOLS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    WELCOME to TW! and as you prob know deff make sure their is no rust with it in NY. on frame and body. the bed will not rust ever. it is a composite bed. made of fiber glass and something els if i remember correct)

i have family near buffalo and know what salt can do. unlike most in the south. lol

4. Jan 24, 2012 at 3:32 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    96 k is not a lot of miles for this truck. However by now the rear differential along with front and transfer case fluids should have been changed at least three times. Hopefully car fax will tell you about the maintenance of this truck. Check for excessive rust. Everything rusts in this area, but just make sure the frame checks out.

What part of New York is it from, maybe someone from here can check it out for you?

5. Jan 24, 2012 at 3:57 AM
    TacoNoire

Member:
    أينما كن
    Vehicle:
    يتضمن ك
    Coming soon....
    Thanks everyone for the info. My biggest concern is rust but I bought my last 98 Lexus sc400 from NJ back 2007 and that car is clean as a whistle with not one spot of rust anywhere, although I have no idea if the previous owner drove it in the winter or not b/c I did not. I wish I would have got a carfax instead of auto check b/c there is nothing mentioned about maintenance. I'm getting a full inspection at the toyota dealership so they should be able to give me a full run down on the truck. I've had good luck with my last three cars I've bought off the internet. A full check by an independent factory mechanic is the only way b/c dealers will bs you in a minute. I made one mistake once not getting a truck checked before I bought it back when I lived in South FL. The truck was actually from NY and it turned out to be rust bucket and I ended up having to have it towed away to the junkyard after less than two years, the biggest waste of $4k I ever spent.

Does this look suspicious? Possible rust?
    [​IMG]

6. Jan 24, 2012 at 5:37 AM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    Welcome to TW!

7. Jan 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    TacoNoire

Member:
    أينما كن
    Vehicle:
    يتضمن ك
    Coming soon....
    After I tell the dealer I'm going to make an appt with toyota he calls and tells me he sent the truck over to firestone, Looks the the dealer is trying to pull some bs. I asked him about any rust and he stated that the previous owner must have been concerned too b/c it had been sprayed with rust preventative.

8. Jan 24, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
  9. Jan 25, 2012 at 1:28 AM
    808TRDTaco10

808TRDTaco10 Black Sand Mirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island--->Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    10 AC TRD OR 4x4 BSP; 08 Reg Cab 5 spd 4x4
    TRD Off Road 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac Load Range C | Toytec Ultimate Lift with Emu Dakar Leaf Packs | 3* Axle Shims, CB Drop, Sway Bar Relocates | AVS Vent Visors, AVS Bugshield | Scangauge II | Smoked Eagle Eyes Ebay LED Tails | Wet Okole Seat Covers | Weather Tech Floor Liners | Pop n Lock | OEM Bed Mat | Truxedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover | TRD Cat Back Exhaust | Aftermarket Alarm System | Pro Coat "Electronic Rustproofing"
    Welcome to TW! Not to scare you or anything, but yeah I'd keep an eye on that rust...looks like there might be a bit lurking under there...

10. Jan 25, 2012 at 1:52 AM
    NFK

NFK Death Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Canada, BC, Vancouver Island, Victoria
    Vehicle:
    BLACK THUNDER
    Tiers 33/11.5 tiers Mickey Thompson,Wheels Mickey T Side Bitters 17” 3” Rev Tech Lift,Added Leaf Spring,Black Projector Headlights CCFL Halo’s / HID’S Blacked out tail light Mod,Grill craft Grill Top and Bottom Hella 500 Behind Gril,FJ40 1986 Toyota Land Cruiser Emblem Front Grill K&N Air Filter,TRD Emblem Lower Grill Bottom Right,Toyota Bug & Stone Deflector Toyota Skid Plate Rhino Lined,WeatherTech Window Visors AVID Step Up Sliders,Bushwhacker Pocket Style Fender Flares Key Hole Plugs Colour Matching,Tacoma Bed MattRear,Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod ( Key Hose Clamp) Leer 100XQ Canopy,Semi De-BadgedPainted Remaining Badges (black) FA-series Short Stubby Antenna Length: 8" TRex Eyelids,Wet Okole TRD Seat Covers Charcoal And Black With Center Console And Rear Pockets With TRD Emblem logo WeatherTech Floor Mats,48 LED Blue Dome Light
    nice bro

11. Jan 25, 2012 at 2:10 AM
    TacoNoire

Member:
    أينما كن
    Vehicle:
    يتضمن ك
    Coming soon....
    @NFK Thanks, hopefully it will work out. I love the look of your rig, my plan is also to murder out the rig if this sale happens.

@808trdTACO10 According to the sales guy the undercarriage has been sprayed, I guess he can tell by looking at it. I called Toyota and they said if the frame is ever damaged from rust they will replace the frame or buy back the vehicle. So I might be willing to overlook some rust here and there as long as it's not affecting the frame.

Here is the car check report:

Here is the car report:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Jan 25, 2012 at 2:17 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Longtime Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Silver State Edition
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s Click the sig pic to see the build thread .
    [​IMG]Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV[​IMG]

To Top