1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Horrible front end noise

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by VirginiaBound, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Mar 24, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    VirginiaBound

VirginiaBound [OP] Whyareyoureadingthis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam I am, green eggs and ham
    North of Maine, South of Spain
    I have a 1999 Tacoma, 4x4 Sr5

I have been enjoying by 5100's since I installed them last weekend. They are silky smooth, I havent heard a noise out of them. Today I was leaving work to go eat lunch, the drive there was fine. On my way back however I ran into some trouble.

There was a horrible noise coming from what I believe is the drivers front. It was almost like a metal clanging or hitting, it sounded almost as if I was dragging a peice of metal up under the truck and it was banging on the pavement. I quickly check it out and everything looks fine! I get back to work with the noise still occuring in the parking lot and return into work. I leave this evening and the noise is gone! Whisper quiet again.

I have not been offroading or driving in harsh conditions. My Cv angles are not harsh, the noise did not sound anything like a Cv going out. Im leaning towards my ball joint? Ive read thats a weakness on the 1st gens.

I have ordered a new strut mount and bushings for both sides as well as Eibachs to pair with my 5100's. Im going to be pulling everything out next weekend while installing the coils and checking for any damage.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know, Im worried about my baby!

2. Mar 24, 2011 at 8:20 PM
    99tacosupreme

99tacosupreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    1999 Black V6 PreRunner TRD
    Pioneer Headunit, Infinity Kappa 6.5" speakers, Alpine Type R sub with Alpine M500 amp, 15% Tint up front 5% in the back, Deckplate mod, Debadged, Bilstien 5100s, Wheelers 1.5"AAL, DDM 55w 6k Lights
    Exact same thing happened to me after I put on my 5100s. It was like a grinding noise from the front while i was driving . after putting the truck back up on jacks and spun my front tire it turns out that the metal guard for the disk brakes where rubbing on the rotors. I must of tweeked it when is was trying to put the bolt back through the bottom of the strut. but I dont know cause you said the noise started after you had been driving for a while but its an idea.

3. Mar 25, 2011 at 3:16 AM
    VirginiaBound

VirginiaBound [OP] Whyareyoureadingthis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam I am, green eggs and ham
    North of Maine, South of Spain
    Ok, that is a great idea! Ill check that when I pull it apart next weekend. It sounded alot like a grinding noise, is it possible it wiggled itself together and then back apart?

Also, the drivers side strut was much more difficult to get back in than the passenger, Im still not sure what caused that.

Thanks!

To Top