1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

horrible gas mileage

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomageorge, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Dec 1, 2011 at 4:45 AM
    WV150

WV150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Trifecta Tonneau Cover
    Consider buying a scangauge.It could help you relearn to drive to greatly increase MPGs.You will see first hand the difference between a lead foot and a tender foot.With my V6 I normally get around 21 to 22 mpg under my normal driving habits.Last 200 mile trip I went on I traveled around 55mph most of the trip and used the tender foot method and got 23.7 mpg.The right foot and the tires you have on makes a big difference.

2. Dec 1, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    YotaMark

YotaMark Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Mentor, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4 cyl 5 speed 4X4
    Rear Gate security Mod (although I seldom take my eyes off it) "Harsh Ride" Shocks and Springs TSB performed by "Me" New Cooper Discoverer AT3s 265/75R16s (fit well) Front "Tacoma Mike" light mod! Rugged Ridge floor mats. Bought another set of D rings and installed them in my wheel well. Perfect! Just hit the big 6000 Miles 12/19/11, Installed an alarm system to go with my factory power door locks 1/21/12
    Im just saying... its a truck. it wont get amazing gas mileage. Sorry Jester if Im not "adding to the discussion".. But "check your air pressure" had already been said.

3. Dec 1, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    Tbones taco

Tbones taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Carrollton
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner ext cab
    Flowmaster 40 smittybuilt bull bar smittybuilt nerf bars hella lights crome custome grill
    I have a 07 x-cab 4.0 V6.I dirve in the City on a mix of hwy and city streets. i put in a K&N filter add a flowmaster 40 and im getting 19.9-20 mpg. i do have the 5 speed auto. I drive it between 70-80MPH on the hwy.
    i need new plugs but so far im Good with my millage.:D It's a Truck and i like it...

4. Dec 17, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    Rayzor

Rayzor Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Appleton, WI
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC V6 4x4 TRD Sport SB
    Factory Roof Rack, Trifecta Tonneau cover, HID duel element headlights
    Dropping the tail gate will not improve your mileage, on the other hand, removing your tailgate will. Saw it on one of those TV show that debunks old myths or something. Tonneau cover helps too but only freeways.

5. Dec 17, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Mythbusters concluded that lowering the tailgate causes more drag which in turn worsens fuel mileage. Keeping the tailgate up creates a vortex of air in the bed behind the cab pushing the airstream over the tailgate. I'm sure many of you have seen the trash swirling around in the beds of your trucks when driving.

Products Discussed in

To Top