1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

horrible mpg, and frothy oil

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DSMissed, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Feb 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    DSMissed

DSMissed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerri
    Lead South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD OR
    3" lift with adjustable shocks and AAL, TPS disabled, anytime locker mod, MOOG greasable ball joints and adjustment pins, URD M3 s/c, Pioneer nav headunit, xplod 1000w amp, 10" infinity sub, tinted windows, lightly tinted tails, color matched front grill with blacked out emblem. Do battle scars count as mods?? =D
    Not sure if the 2 are related, but anways, I could use some help.

I just bought the truck a month ago, and I wasn't sure about when the oil needed changed, but the light came on yesterday, so I changed it today and put in Mobil synthetic 10w30.
    Anywho... when I drained the oil, there was alot of frothy bubbles on the drain plug. I went ahead and added new oil, and after I got 5 quarts in, I fired it up for about 5 minutes just to see where the level was at so I didn't overfill. After shutting it off, I pulled the dipstick out and there were those frothy bubbles again.

I may just be anal, but in my car, frothy bubbles is a blown headgasket. I doubt I have a problem that serious, but just curious what you all think.

As for mpg... I used over 1/4 of a tank today going less than 70 miles... most of which was interstate at 60-70mph. I'm no mathematician but that equals out to LESS than 280 miles to a tank... which is like 13 mpg. I do have a cold air intake, but I drive as much under 2000 rpms as I can, and I still do terrible.

Thoughts???

2. Feb 22, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    What year Tacoma did you get? I have a 2006 and I'm pretty sure all 2nd generations take 5W 30 instead of 10W 30. I know that has nothing to do with the bubbles but just some info for you.;) I also get pretty poor gas mileage but that was after my 3" lift and 33"s. I also have a TRD CAI and a Flowmaster cat-back exhaust system.

3. Feb 22, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    Tsenekos

Tsenekos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Edmonton, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC 4WD trd offroad
    Toytec 3" lift w coils,1.5 AAL,5100's all around,diff drop kit, axel shims,N-Fab nerf bars,bestop supertop,fog mod, weathertech mats
    not too sure about the frothy bubbles but keep an eye on it and the gas mileage youre getting is about the same as mine since bigger tires and lift + winter gas

4. Feb 22, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    Zizo

Zizo Engineer Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '06 DoubleCab 4x4 TRD Sport
    TRD Supercharger, 3" lift w/ Fox Shox, Pioneer Sound System, Remote Start, Avid Off Road Bumpers, All Pro Sliders, LED light bar, HID headlights, much more...
    As far as "frothy bubbles", when you took the oil cap off, was there a beige looking residue on the cap? This type of frothy bubbles just means there is slight moisture in the oil. This is a very common occurrence in colder areas. Nothing to be worried about. Although the weird thing is that you would not have this froth on the drain plug. If it is there, then all the oil should be frothy. The only place you would see this is on the cap and maybe on the dipstick.

And for future reference, even though synthetics hold to their viscosities better than conventional oil, it is best to use a thinner oil like 5W30 in the winter. The colder it gets, the thicker the oil will be to pump at startup and when cold.

5. Feb 22, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    There has been a lot of frothy oil threads lately. Concensus has been that it is due to a lot of short trips, and the cold. I would suspect that the winter gas is not helping your mpg's either. My gas mileage stinks as well, I can't get over 17.

6. Feb 22, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    There have been a lot of creamy oil at the filler neck threads- If you are getting froth in the bottom end you need to get that shit looked at or at least get the oil analyzed.

Is this terrible MPG recent or it's been happening since you bought the truck??

7. Feb 22, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    DSMissed

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerri
    Lead South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD OR
    3" lift with adjustable shocks and AAL, TPS disabled, anytime locker mod, MOOG greasable ball joints and adjustment pins, URD M3 s/c, Pioneer nav headunit, xplod 1000w amp, 10" infinity sub, tinted windows, lightly tinted tails, color matched front grill with blacked out emblem. Do battle scars count as mods?? =D
    Geez, I can't believe myself sometimes. The cap says right on it 5w30, and what do I do... get the wrong stuff.
    Well I guess at least I'm not the only one with frothy oil, so I'll stop worrying about it then. I did try and search 'frothy' and 'bubbles' and didn't come up with any threads, so I figured I was one of few with the problem.
    The mpg thing really bugs me. I'm getting the mileage of a v8 with a v6, and I baby the throttle. I don't have a lift, or bigger tires... I hope it gets better.

8. Feb 22, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    DSMissed

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerri
    Lead South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD OR
    The oil plug had bigger bubbles on it, not quite froth. What would that mean???

When I bought the truck I had to drive it home from Vegas, and I averaged 16mpg. Its weird to say, but it seems my mileage is getting worse by the day. I just can't really pinpoint the issue? I did buy a stock intake from a kid on here... I'm going to throw that on and see what happens as soon as I get it in the mail.

9. Feb 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM
    eight3one_offroad

eight3one_offroad Honey your two French Fries short of a Happy Meal.

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Cruz, California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4 with a few things.
    Optima Red Top 34R, OME 885 / N140S + 5100 rear, TSB leaf pack, Camburg Ball Joint UCA, Wheelers Diff drop, AEM Brute Force Intake with filter wrap, Summit Super Turbo muffler, Llumar 5% tint, Pioneer single din head unit, PIAA 510 Ion Crystal Fogs in stock location, Sonar LED tails. Sway Bar removal. Charcoal filter delete. Stant 11509 Locking Gas Cap.
    I would switch back to 5W30, thicker oil usually makes the engine run harder and using up more gas. You'll be good again :)

- Rich

10. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:16 PM
    ryhar85

ryhar85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    W. WA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 3" lift
    3" Trailmaster lift, 18" rockstars blacked out, 275/65/18 sxt mud terrains, more to come.
    I have religiously changed my oil every 5k, and never had any type of bubbles/froth. But this last time I slacked off and waited till like 8k and sure enough there was froth when I drained it. The old oil just had more time to break down and add more contaminants over time. I have always run full synthetic.

So chances are, since it sounds like you bought it pre-owned, it had prob been a while since the oil was changed. And as far as the mpg goes, the main mpg robber for me is always a dirty air filter. I will notice a 2mpg gain consistently after I change the filter out. Did you clean/ replace it when you did the oil change?

I don't think 10w30 instead of 5w30 would have too much affect on mpg, but you never know. If you are concerned about, I would just switch it back.

11. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:24 PM
    ryhar85

ryhar85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    W. WA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 3" lift
    3" Trailmaster lift, 18" rockstars blacked out, 275/65/18 sxt mud terrains, more to come.
    Also, the only way to accurately measure mpgs is to top off your tank, set the trip meter, then when you fill up again, divide the miles you drove by the gallons it takes to top it off again. You can never really trust the gas gauge to tell you exactly how many gallons are in the tank. :)

12. Feb 23, 2010 at 5:16 AM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    Use 5W-30

Clean the throttle body

Clean the Mass Air Flow sensor with the special CRC MAF cleaner

Change you plugs

After doing this you should see your MPG's go up

13. Feb 23, 2010 at 5:35 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Lose the CAI, all it does is suck gas and lose low end torque.

14. Feb 23, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Some good quality pictures of what you are seeing would be helpful.

Use the right oil. Oil viscosity will have a mileage impact.

Air filter MPG increase on a modern, fuel injected engine is a myth. Proved in the lab. The fact that this type of marketing is still out there and used to sell filters when it is not scientifically sound really grinds my gears.

15. Feb 23, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    DSMissed

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerri
    Lead South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD OR
    The intake was on the truck when I bought it, I bought a stock intake last week from a guy on here, I hope he sent it...

I'll clean out the tb and sensor this weekend. I'll search the best plugs to use, and throw a new set in, see what happens.

I'm really mad I spend $50 on the wrong oil. I'll probably wait a couple weeks to change that, get a little use out of it anyways.

16. Feb 26, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    DSMissed

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerri
    Lead South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD OR
    So I found out my mpg problem.

Basically I let the fuel gauge hit empty for the first time. It was about a tick away from the red mark when I filled it... it took 15.7 gallons and was on full. So where the hell is that other 5 gallons going? I'm gonna be TICKED if the fuel gauge reads that inaccurately.

Maybe my cheapo rear leaf springs are sagged so badly all the fuel is at the back of the tank... that would just be awesome.

17. Feb 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    That is weird! Wish I had an idea but I don't.
    Mine is about down to 1/4 right now, I will let it get down to the red just to see how many gallons it takes cause now I am curious.

Oh and as far as plugs go I think if you search on here everyone pretty much recommends going to the dealership and getting the stock Denso plugs.

18. Feb 26, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    DSMissed

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerri
    Lead South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD OR
    Yeah, I'm curious if other people have the same issue. I did see a few threads about the fuel gauge reading fairly inaccurately due to the shape of the gas tank... but what I'm experiencing is a little too outrageous. I mean I can seriously watch the gauge going down as I drive in grandpa mode... at least I do know that my mpg isn't as bad as I thought it was, but a fuel gauge being this inaccurate is something I'd expect on an old truck, not a new one.

19. Feb 27, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I think when the low fuel light comes on, you have about 4 more gallons of fuel left.

20. Feb 27, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    DSMissed

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerri
    Lead South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD OR
    Just for reference I calculated my true mpg today, and its just a hair over 15 driving normally in town.

Products Discussed in

To Top