1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

horse power boost

Discussion in 'Towing' started by yumacpl, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Jul 28, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    yumacpl

yumacpl [OP] Member

Member:
    here is my question
    I have a 07 Taco, TRD 4x4 auto trans
    I just bought a 22 TT, weight dry 4090 lbs
    what can I do to increase my HP with out going to a super charger

2. Jul 28, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Not really unless you get intake, exhaust, URD MAF, headers and exhaust all at once and even the end result of 20 or so horsepower isn't that much considering how much you spent.

3. Jul 28, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    Get a tundra or 4runner with a v-8. Without a supercharger Tacomas are kind of already as powerful as they are gonna get. :)

4. Jul 28, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    Ez2typethis

Ez2typethis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD sport 4x4 TRD S/C, TRD Cat back
    My 2010 4x4 TRD sport: Bilstein 5100's in the front set at 1.5" to level, TRD Supercharger, TRD Cat back, TRS retrofit, Satoshi grill, Redlinetuning hood struts, Socked

Save money to get a supercharger... but even then, supercharging does not increase max towing capacity, just makes it easier to tow the max cap. So if your wet and ready to camp weight is over 6500 (if you have the towing package) i wouldnt advise towing it...

5. Jul 29, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    psmcn

psmcn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Rockville Md
    Your Toco should pull that just fine. If you want more power get a bigger truck with a bigger engine. THere is no replacement for displacement....

Paul

6. Jul 29, 2011 at 11:38 PM
    fvtalon

fvtalon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD/Yamaha
    285/65/18 BFG ATs on MKWs Leer Cap
    You could turbo it :D

Intake, header, catback is about all you can do. If it wasn't a truck but rather say a car with good/great aftermarket support maybe you could do cams, higher compression pistons and some valve work. Maybe a stroker kit.

Intake a full exhaust won't do much though. It'll sound good but you really won't pick up much power. The engines in new vehicles are pretty optimized already, it's not like the old days where a stock V8 engine was really inefficient and you could about double the hp with some good aftermarket parts and improve fuel economy to boot.

The supercharger will be the best bet for bang for your buck if you keep the Taco. It'll just give more power for the hills though, it'll still be the same size and weight and have the same brakes and suspension though. You might be better off with a new truck if you need to tow a bigger load than the Taco can comfortably handle.

Haven't really looked into the other brands but the new Ford half-tons can pull up to 11,300lbs. That's huge to a Taco's 6500 lbs.

7. Jul 30, 2011 at 6:30 AM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    WPB,FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 Black Tacoma DC 4x4 4.0L TRD Off-Road
    Not stock.
    Save your money. Buy a WDH, a brake control, and mirrors. Your truck will tow it fine, just take it easy. Tow in "4", 60-65 mph @ about 9-10 mpg. That's about all you can do until you get a bigger truck.

8. Jul 30, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    yumacpl

yumacpl [OP] Member

Member:
    thanks all,, I do have a WDH , brake control, sway control ,
    bought some mirror extenders here in town from a RV parts store, but they are terrible to much vibration, I would get sea sick driving with them.
    I will be ordering the one's that are mentioned in the tread " towing bible"
    they are sold thru Camping World, alot more money, but if they work it will be worth it

it also has been mentioned here about Oil, would you recommend going to Synthetic Oil,,what brand, we live in the desert south west (Yuma)
    so heat is a big concern, I have about 60K on the engine

9. Jul 30, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    WPB,FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 Black Tacoma DC 4x4 4.0L TRD Off-Road
    Not stock.
    I think my mirrors are Cipa's. They have a dial to tighten. I'll be selling them soon if you're interested and can wait a week ($25 + shipping). I use Napa filters and Valvoline 5w-30 synthetic. I worked there many years ago, so I trust their products.

To Top