1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hot air flow through vents when fan off

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dogsmember, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Jun 10, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    zero niner

zero niner romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    OK, so let me get this straight, you're saying that while switched to defrost the compressor turns on and it becomes cooler while the A/C is running (compressor and all) but you can also USE the A/C by pressing the button and then the air becomes much colder, because the A/C is now on even more?

I'd be interested to see what the differences are in the settings because I've run the defrost and never heard the compressor kick on or have the water drip under the parked truck like when the A/C is on (lit button on)

Seems like you know your stuff so are there two different type of A/C settings/compressor systems vehicles have?

Rob

2. Jun 10, 2009 at 4:59 PM
    P. Bauer

P. Bauer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    TRD S/C :: Intake Camburg SwayAway Magnaflow American Racing Donahoe Racing Wheelers OffRoad
    No, what I'm saying is, when you have the selector in the Defrost/Floor or Defrost position, and the fan is set to 1, 2, 3, or 4, then the A/C compressor is going to kick on. It makes no difference if you have the A/C button pressed or not, the A/C compressor will be on, there is no way to disable this without getting into the wiring.

See for yourself, set your selector to Defrost, Temp can be hot/cold as this makes no difference.

Now watch your RPMs, and switch the Fan Speed to 1, 2, 3, or 4 and you will see/feel the RPMs rise and A/C compressor clutch engage.

Having the A/C on dries the air, it can be dry COLD air or dry HOT air, makes no difference if you use the DEFROST selection with the temp all the way cold or hot. In the winter, I'm sure you would prefer the HOT.

PB

3. Jun 10, 2009 at 5:12 PM
    zero niner

zero niner romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Will do! Thanks for the info, I'm going to check this out in my Tacoma when I get off of work as I've always been under a different impression as to how the A/C works. I thought it was only on when lit up. Coolio.

Rob

4. Jul 6, 2009 at 9:15 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Absolutely correct!:thumbsup:

5. Feb 25, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    azcat

azcat Lurker

Member:
    western KY
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC Prerunner TRD Off Road, no TRD on butt
    Um, no, it doesn't. The intake for the HVAC is at the base of the windshield, below the wipers. Vehicles have been designed that way for quite some time so that in the event of an exhaust manifold leak, the system won't pull in carbon monoxide. The warm air most likely is from some small amount of air passing through the heater core; the door that closes it off may not be sealing completely.

Products Discussed in

To Top