1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hot water heater question.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by eagleguy, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Sep 26, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    ROAD DOG

ROAD DOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 I4 WHITE SR PRERUNNER
    FEW

there are several factors required by code

electrical

natural gas

venting

& any adverse interaction in the garage with Ur vehicles

if U r truly concerned have a licensed bonded plumber install approx $100 in this area

No issues if it hits the fan with Ur insurance or local code

2. Sep 26, 2020 at 6:33 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    My water here is too hard for a tankless. No way would count on remembering to acidize it yearly.

Give me a tanked, Nat gas unit any day.

As for the grill, make sure you put in a tee and a valve near the grill location. A Nat gas grill is great for quick grilled dinners.

3. Sep 26, 2020 at 7:38 PM
    markmizzou

markmizzou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    17 SR5 V6 4x4 AC AT tow pkg. Blue as they come
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    ut a water softener in your home
    Put in a water softener for your HARD water-- you will reap other benefits. The gas grill thing -- I have been running my Weber grill on natural for 15 years. Natural burns a few degrees below propane , but the difference is not noticeable.

4. Sep 27, 2020 at 7:18 AM
    eagleguy

eagleguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Is there maintenance involved with an outside tankless natural gas water heater. If so what is involved, how often, can it be done by a homeowner, if not what is the cost say here in Central FL? Also how do you know if the water is too hard?

5. Sep 27, 2020 at 7:20 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    Gas water heater maintenance is very simple.

Once a year, close the gas supply. Open the faucet at the bottom of the tank. Drain the bottom sediment off. You do not need to empty the tank. Close faucet, open gas supply. Go have a beverage.

If you can change the engine oil on your truck without draining the tranny, then you can handle this task.

6. Sep 27, 2020 at 9:48 AM
    markmizzou

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    IF you have hard water and NO water softener device -- there is a flushing chemical that you wash and flush out the tankless system with. Alot of tankless companies want you to do this yearly even if you have a softener. Their chemicals -of course -they sell you!
    You can usually get hardness test strips (paper that changes color with the varying hardness) from places that sell water softeners. Menards had has them around here (free) , or you could call a place and ask them to give you a free test. Many will do this if they see any chance of selling you a softening system.
    Yes maintenance if needed can be done by the homeowner -that is if you can read the instructions.
    Bit of advice -- if you go Tankless -stay with the trusted brands i.e. Takagi, Renaii , Rheem (new to the game -but big American co.)
    You will note more and more American companies are moving to tankless as a available option
    Do your own research on line -- and you will learn alot -- getting all of your advice here (including from me ) leaves something to be desired.

koditten likes this.
  7. Sep 27, 2020 at 11:53 AM
    eagleguy

Member:
    I appreciate your honesty. The GC's plumber is pushing the outdoor tankless although he does not want to tell me why over the indoor which I am leaning to for some reason because of the lack of honest info. The web seems to confused on which is better except for space concerns which I do not have. Looking to make the best choice for my new construction needs not because someone gets to make more money for labor and such on the install! In the end both the good A.O. Smith tanked and Rinnai tankless look good for the initial main part/system. A.O Smith 81611, Rinnai RL75EN

8. Sep 27, 2020 at 2:02 PM
    SH7mi

SH7mi YotaWerx Pro Tune PA MD DE NJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    West Grove, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB OR Black YotaWerx Tune
    AE manifold spacer Bed lights Seat Jackers Blackvue Dashcam YotaWerx Tuned Fumoto Oil Pan Valve
    If you have natural gas, go tankless. It's a no brainer for me. More costly install but far more efficient in long term. Tankless do need maintenance which majority of owners are unaware. Definitely tankless!

9. Sep 27, 2020 at 2:05 PM
    aleriance

aleriance Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorge
    Naples, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4
    I've lived in SWFL my entire life and pretty much every house I've been to has the water heater in the garage. It's totally normal here. Never heard of anyone blowing up...

10. Sep 27, 2020 at 2:19 PM
    eagleguy

Member:
    Just spoke to my old plumber friend who has been out of state for awhile. Based on what he stated I will be going with tanked. In regards to the tankless there is maintenance required and if not done by a certified person any warranty is voided. Then there is the circuit board issue, insurance issue and just too many other little things. Plan on getting a 12 year warranted A.O Smith inside tank unit. Both get the same rebate where I live but heck even the gas company in the end recommended the inside unit for the reasons above and a few more. Thanks for all the input as this issue made me nuts!

11. Sep 27, 2020 at 2:25 PM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    Whether you use tank or tankless be sure to install a a recirculation pump. It will save a lot of gas and water.

Another advantage of tankless is the can be mounted much higher if you’re concerned about gasoline fumes.

It’s possible in a poorly ventilated space for a natural gas leak to build up. This can also lead to explosion and fire. Tankless units can be had designed for exterior mounting.

12. Sep 27, 2020 at 2:33 PM
    eagleguy

Member:
    Funny thing is that the insurance company charges more for a tankless unit mounted outside in Florida. Most likely because of the lightning strikes. One of the many reasons I referenced. No need for a pump.

13. Sep 27, 2020 at 2:35 PM
    markmizzou

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Good luck with your choice -- I would bet your next one -down the line some years (I hope for your wallets sake) , will be a tankless.
    Most plumbers are not going to advise tankless -since the recurring tanked version replacements are a "gravy-train " for them. My son who is a HVAC guy says this is true -He does tanked heater installs every now and then for some quick cash, and if he can squeeze in the install in the midst of his HVAC calls. He and I both have tankless.
    Good luck with your decision!!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  14. Sep 27, 2020 at 2:41 PM
    eagleguy

Member:
    Once the inside unit is installed I have no problem replacing it myself down the road. As the home is being built by a GC my current options are limited. I value the advice of someone who I have known personally for years and who has no horse in this race.

15. Sep 27, 2020 at 2:41 PM
    sf.larry

sf.larry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    larry
    Vehicle:
    2011 XR
    It’s all up to your preference. Personally I prefer electric to gas. Gas prices fluctuate more than electricity. Plus if you’re going solar you can practically run it for free (that’s another debate). And lastly, mining gas is worse for the environment (yes, another debate). I also prefer tank units. I have a large floor plan so I have a circ pump that keeps all lines full of hot water. There’s also the heat pump units. They’re nice but have the worst recovery, hence the reason most people over size them. Ultimately a wh is a wh and as long as it works you’ll never think twice about it.

16. Sep 27, 2020 at 2:59 PM
    tacofish

tacofish Well-Known Member

Member:
    N NJ
    Vehicle:
    14 ext cab 4x4
    3/1 lowrange spacer lift 285/70/17 wildpeaks
    I didn’t read through the whole thread but:
    if you live in an area where eclectic goes out a lot with electric or power vented you’ll have no hot water.
    Something to think about

17. Sep 27, 2020 at 4:33 PM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    My original Bosch tankless from many years back had no blower and a pilot light. I was sad to see it go, but after about 20 years it just needed more and more parts. My new one does have a blower. It is much more efficient than my original. But yes, no power no hot water. I put a UPS in the circuit. It will run the heater for 45 minutes. Plenty long enough for several showers.

18. Sep 28, 2020 at 3:41 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Had tankless right here in sunny Fl. for 10 years before selling it last year. House was 40 yo at time of install. No insurance issues and I changed carriers twice in that time.

When sold, there were some things to correct for the buyer to be able to secure insurance. The tankless wasn't on the list as any kind of issue or rate impact.

I call malarky.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    markmizzou likes this.
  19. Sep 28, 2020 at 2:11 PM
    eagleguy

Member:
    Thanks again for all the feedback and suggestions!

20. Sep 28, 2020 at 2:24 PM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    My current house is all gas appliances. Gas water tank, furnace, clothes dryer, and kitchen. Only appliances that are electric are the A/C and refrigerator. I haven't had utility bills this cheap since I lived in an apartment.

Just keep your flammables/vapor producers on the opposite side of the garage, install a CO detector, and you'll be fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top