1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how can I be less of a moron next time?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DrPie, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Jan 27, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    DrPie

DrPie [OP] Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner TRD
    So my truck started hesitating a couple of weeks ago. After a day or two, it started hesitating with a severe loss of power once I had driven 2-3 miles. At this point I stopped driving it long distances and just tooled around town a bit, waiting for a CEL. 4-5 days passed, still no CEL.

-Cleaned MAF, no difference.

Based on what I read and was told, I started thinking fuel system:

-changed fuel filter (needed it anyway with 220,000 miles on it); no change.
    -installed a new (and annoyingly loud) fuel pump; no change.
    -Seafoam, 1/3 directly into the intake, rest in the tank: other than my kids running into the house screaming because they believed the mass amount of smoke was indicative of a pending explosion; no change.

Surprise! After dropping the $$ and installing the fuel pump I got a CEL, p0303, misfire cyl#3. I just changed the plugs a few months ago, so I ruled that out. Ordered a new OEM coil pack (after realizing I should have just swapped 2 of the existing coils to see if the code would follow- oops), checked the plug, swapped out the coil pack, and after 50 miles, no hesitation and she's running like a champ.:D

In this situation, what could I have done in terms of diagnostics when she was running poorly without a CEL? Should I have taken it to a shop for diagnostics, or is there something I could have done myself?

On another note, are there any particular conditions that cause an ignition coil to go, or do they just tend to fail at times?

2. Jan 27, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Coils can go whenever. Personally, I always chase a poor running engine starting with the Air supply, then Spark, then fuel.

3. Jan 27, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab 4X4 TRD 3.4 V6
    I just had my coil pack and plugs done 2 weeks ago. Also had a very bad miss, and it was also #3 cyl.

To Top